BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Turbo Lag?

08-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Turbo Lag?

Calling actual M2 owners, preferably manual.

How much turbo lag do you feel on the M2 in an everyday driving situation with the occasional necessity to make a quick acceleration? What about track use?

I've read and watched many reviews where I found a mixed bag of answers. Some have said that it's a full on punch from 1500 RPM all the way to redline while others have said it takes getting to 4500 RPM to get the full punch.

So what is the verdict from real M2 owners who have driven the car for a while?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Still breaking mine in, but I haven't noticed any discernible lag. My N54 135i, with JB4, downpipe, intercooler and charge pipe screams with no lag, but the M2 is stick and is very drive-able.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Very little when just on the throttle. With the manual, it's pretty noticeable between shifts unless you are high in the rev range and quick with your feet.
Appreciate 2
Stevx41.50
gsrbri559.50
      08-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

What the guy above me said, except I would say 'unless you drive it like an M car' lol
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I feel it a little in Comfort mode. I've owned and driven many miles in 6MT 235i and DCT M4. This sits nicely in between and nearer the M4.

M4 in sport has the turbos spooled up full time ready to rock.

Not an issue at all in the M2, tiny amount of lag
      08-01-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Not an owner yet, but driven it many times and other modern M cars. The journalists seem to be smoking the good stuff. There is a ton of throttle input lag unless the turbo is spooled.This is physics and there's nothing you can do about it except augment the turbo when it's at low RPMs with electric or something.

BMW knows this is an issue and has been researching solutions.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=597327

But if you're expecting the motor to "totally feel NA!" like some journalists exclaim, you will be disappointed.
geogerf115.50
      08-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

On DCT I do notice it at less than 4k rpm. I didn't notice it so much when I first got the car, but now that I am more familiar with it and more comfortable pushing it I notice the lag more. It's more fun at higher RPM anyway!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track Car, (M2 sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Very little when just on the throttle. With the manual, it's pretty noticeable between shifts unless you are high in the rev range and quick with your feet.
Exactly. If you just floor it from a stop and keep it there the turbo will pull from very low RPM. This doesn't mean there isn't lag it just means it spools at a low RPM. In fact, I find there to be a fair amount of turbo lag. If you are driving around at a normal speed or coasting and 'floor it' there is certainly a delay in the turbo spooling up. On the track it is noticeable. The harder you drive (faster shifts + more constant power) the less noticeable it is.

If you are asking if it has turbo lag then yes, it does.
If you are asking if the turbo spools at a very low RPM, yes it does that too.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
On DCT I do notice it at less than 4k rpm. I didn't notice it so much when I first got the car, but now that I am more familiar with it and more comfortable pushing it I notice the lag more. It's more fun at higher RPM anyway!
I agree here just a tad until higher rpms with dct. After turbo kicks in it's pretty exciting
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
At what RPM range do you guys feel the bulk of the power kick in?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Not an owner yet, but driven it many times and other modern M cars. The journalists seem to be smoking the good stuff. There is a ton of throttle input lag unless the turbo is spooled.This is physics and there's nothing you can do about it except augment the turbo when it's at low RPMs with electric or something.

BMW knows this is an issue and has been researching solutions.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=597327

But if you're expecting the motor to "totally feel NA!" like some journalists exclaim, you will be disappointed.
That's the thing. Some of them will say there is "absolutely" no turbo lag and it punches from 1500 RPM all the way to redline. Maybe they are obligated to say that due to their relationship with the car manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #12
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
That sounds consistent with some of the civilian reviews I've seen.

So how does the car feel when driven between idle to 4000 rpm? I mean what if you are shifting at 3k? what car would you liken it to
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #13
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
Exactly. If you just floor it from a stop and keep it there the turbo will pull from very low RPM. This doesn't mean there isn't lag it just means it spools at a low RPM. In fact, I find there to be a fair amount of turbo lag. If you are driving around at a normal speed or coasting and 'floor it' there is certainly a delay in the turbo spooling up. On the track it is noticeable. The harder you drive (faster shifts + more constant power) the less noticeable it is.

If you are asking if it has turbo lag then yes, it does.
If you are asking if the turbo spools at a very low RPM, yes it does that too.

I see, so it's a fun car on the track but drives like any ol car as a daily driver with moderate traffic (shifting below 4k). Is that a fair thing to say?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #14
atomic837
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4, 2009 135i, 2016 M2

Very noticeable turbo lag if you know what you're looking for. When you floor it, there's a very obvious ~1 second delay in power until the turbo spools up and kicks you back into your seat. Granted, this can be mitigated somewhat by keeping it higher in the revs and "anticipating" the lag by waking up the turbo with a little pre-throttle application.

Anyone who says there is no noticeable lag is either naive to the driving characteristics of a boosted engine, or are telling a little white lie.

I honestly haven't noticed a significant difference in the lag between driving modes. The throttle response is different between modes, but the turbo lag is much the same.
Appreciate 5
stefan2349.50
BFLY78.50
reppucci339.50
boostm3683.00
      08-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #15
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic837 View Post
Very noticeable turbo lag if you know what you're looking for. When you floor it, there's a very obvious ~1 second delay in power until the turbo spools up and kicks you back into your seat. Granted, this can be mitigated somewhat by keeping it higher in the revs and "anticipating" the lag by waking up the turbo with a little pre-throttle application.

Anyone who says there is no noticeable lag is either naive to the driving characteristics of a boosted engine, or are telling a little white lie.

I honestly haven't noticed a significant difference in the lag between driving modes. The throttle response is different between modes, but the turbo lag is much the same.
So would you say this is still a fun car to drive as a daily under realistic traffic conditions?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #16
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

I wouldn't ever floor it at a low rpm anyway. Just downshift and it's ready to go. The thing about the M2 is how nicely it revs out to redline and in that respect, it is almost as satisfying as an NA. Most turbocharged cars don't reward revving it to redline.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
I wouldn't ever floor it at a low rpm anyway. Just downshift and it's ready to go. The thing about the M2 is how nicely it revs out to redline and in that respect, it is almost as satisfying as an NA. Most turbocharged cars don't reward revving it to redline.
Yeah so typically I would only really notice the turbo lag if coasting at like 2k-3k rpm and then flooring it, but if I wanted to get going I would down shift anyway then I don't notice so much. Downshifting is fun! It's fun for me as a daily driver, but I was coming from an 04 Mazda 3 so..... my base for comparison might be different than most M2 drivers.

If coasting at about 4k+ rpm and then you put your foot down the power is just instantly there.

If OP were to drive an M2, I will say in comfort mode the gas pedal is awfully squishy and makes the car feel sluggish so I would suggest judging in Sport or Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #18
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
So would you say this is still a fun car to drive as a daily under realistic traffic conditions?
It is but just don't expect it to snap your neck when stabbing the throttle or expect it to be really touchy and instantaenously modular. It's still a turbo. It's laggy.
      08-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #19
blefevre
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track Car, (M2 sold)

Quote:
I see, so it's a fun car on the track but drives like any ol car as a daily driver with moderate traffic (shifting below 4k). Is that a fair thing to say?
I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at. It's a blast to drive on the track and on the street. Below 4k the turbo still easily kicks in. It's just that the car definitely has turbo lag. It will still spool up at 2k and rocket to redline, but make no assumptions that it drives just like a N/A car. It sounds like you need to test drive one. I am just being honest and critical of the turbo lag. It doesn't magically disappear because it's a M2.
Appreciate 1
johanva146.50
      08-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #20
atomic837
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4, 2009 135i, 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quote:
It is but just don't expect it to snap your neck when stabbing the throttle or expect it to be really touchy and instantaenously modular. It's still a turbo. It's laggy.
Is it a fun car even in boring traffic speeds? Absolutely. The essence of the car still comes out even at low speeds. But I wouldn't waste the car in that type of environment on a daily basis. It's meant for the open back roads, mountain twisted, and the track. And as mentioned by others, the real fun is only a quick downshift away!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #21
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at. It's a blast to drive on the track and on the street. Below 4k the turbo still easily kicks in. It's just that the car definitely has turbo lag. It will still spool up at 2k and rocket to redline, but make no assumptions that it drives just like a N/A car. It sounds like you need to test drive one. I am just being honest and critical of the turbo lag. It doesn't magically disappear because it's a M2.
Just trying to gauge the level of power available below 4k. Other turbo cars that I have driven and owned drives like a 4 cylinder Camry unless I push it pass 4k or so, very uninspiring. Though I can enjoy it much more at the track, the bulk of the time spend would be driving it on freeways and around town. If it feels just like my 200hp turbos under 4k, it would be a disappointment.

I wish I can test drive it but dealerships around me either don't have it in stock or are asking $70k+ for their M2. Not going to waste time at a dealer trying to charge that kind of price even I don't have to buy it from them.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #22
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic837 View Post
Is it a fun car even in boring traffic speeds? Absolutely. The essence of the car still comes out even at low speeds. But I wouldn't waste the car in that type of environment on a daily basis. It's meant for the open back roads, mountain twisted, and the track. And as mentioned by others, the real fun is only a quick downshift away!

I agree. Though I'll likely rotate it with my other vehicles and end up driving it in a commute 2-3 times a week. Narrowing down my choice for my next purchase so just trying to get a review from actual owners.
Appreciate 0