BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > ** N55 TURBO INLET PIPE Pre-Order feeler **

07-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #23
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black 2013 335i xdrive m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
If it is flow tested and compared to a flow test on the stock one, and it outperforms then I am in.
Pm sent
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      07-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #24
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

I'm going to reply to the PM here after some thought, not to doubt this product but to generate discussion on it.

Yes, more air can fill a larger space. That does not mean it will flow better. Turbulence is a major factor. If the turbo reacts negatively to a change in turbulence than you won't make anything. Flow testing should be done to determine this. Those accordions are not just to make it flexible. They also increase volume and help reduce collapsing.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      07-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #25
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Are there any performance gains to be expected?
+ Tune + Yes shown to be better due to our restrictive Inlet its the same size as the PWG turbos (early year N55 model cars).
This is a must upgrade for those upgrading Turbo since it will restrict a lot power, so in stock EWG turbo (like us) it will flow better and there should be either better powerband or/and gains together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanF30 View Post
Without having any data from m own product, using the pure inlet, on a tuned vehicle tuners have extracted up to 40 extra hp. In addition you can expect quicker spool and reduced PWM/duty cycle. This hose would also remove all obstructions such as the acordian piece at the top of the pipe and the dimples in the pipe which would increase air flow.
Quote:
If it is flow tested and compared to a flow test on the stock one, and it outperforms then I am in.
Same here
Quote:
I'm going to reply to the PM here after some thought, not to doubt this product but to generate discussion on it.

Yes, more air can fill a larger space. That does not mean it will flow better. Turbulence is a major factor. If the turbo reacts negatively to a change in turbulence than you won't make anything. Flow testing should be done to determine this. Those accordions are not just to make it flexible. They also increase volume and help reduce collapsing.
I'll be down to partake on flow testing if needed for this project.

PWG cars might not show the same gain as EWG cars

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #26
Johnsonuspp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Please add me to the list.

Quote:
I have been in the works of designing an upgraded turbo inlet pipe for our cars. This would be a full pipe replacement using machined fittings and silicon hose to replace the current plastic tube. It would also include a significantly larger opening at the turbo end and be completely smooth, removing the accordion section and dimples found in the oem pipe. I have already spent a bit of time and money to work out the logistics and now I need to find out if there is a desire for this as I would need to take pre-orders to make it happen. Please let me know by responding in the comments if you would be interested. Price point is currently unofficial but would likely be between $175 - $250.

Before this can move forward any further I would need at LEAST 30 solid commitments.

Also note: A final design will be released before actually accepting pre-orders. The purpose of this post is to gauge weather this is something worth investing more time and money into on my end.

Below is a list of people that appear interested. If your name is on the list and you are NOT likely to actually pre-order one contingent on final design / fitment, please PM me so I can remove you from the list.
List of Interested parties:
1. hardparker
2. SeanWRT
3. sicmadek
4. 1QuikWS6
5. zole2112
6. FSociety ...? lol
7. Bimmer28312
8. stefan
9. DrKevM5
10. J3STER
11. twin fed
12. DocWardM2
13. shemeld_135
14. Ninjaneer34
15. Pyjamarama
16. Itsthedurty
17. stxf30
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #27
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=Johnsonuspp;21935225]Please add me to the list.

[QUOTE]
Added
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #28
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW M2

Quote:

If its a straight piece of metal flow should be improved and still the turbo will be the bottle neck. I do agree that it needs a laminar flow across the new inlet. But what is really important are pressure differentials! The goal here is to make the turbo suck in air with less effort.

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 1
McPurrs290.00
      07-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #29
Blackorchid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' 6MT G-35, 2017 6MT M2

I am Interested, put me on the list.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #30
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackorchid View Post
I am Interested, put me on the list.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #31
emargul
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I am also interested. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #32
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Like everybody said show us some numbers keep the cost at 175 and I'm down to get one

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 05:44 AM   #33
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...2#post20798352

This thread might be of interest - I dyno;d mine before / after fitting Pure Inlet pipe and posted within this thread - shame now Photobucket no longer host to 3rd party sites....
      07-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #34
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Any pics of what you have been working on?

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #35
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Any pics of what you have been working on?
The engineer has been working on it in his spare time I believe, but will not finish or release the files/images to me until I pay him. I just do not want to pay if there is not a likely chance that this will be able to happen. Even with 30 people, it is going to be a stretch to get the cost below $250/unit, and all that would be doing is covering my costs. So at the minimum it will take 30 people who are legitimately interested for me to get the design files. I will tell you, it is going to look exactly like the stock part. Wider opening near the turbo, and no accordion. The shape will be identical and the hose will have a smoother transition of size from the intake side to the turbo side. There will be an aluminum fitting molded into the silicone for both the turbo fitting and the crank case vent fitting.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #36
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
The engineer has been working on it in his spare time I believe, but will not finish or release the files/images to me until I pay him. I just do not want to pay if there is not a likely chance that this will be able to happen. Even with 30 people, it is going to be a stretch to get the cost below $250/unit, and all that would be doing is covering my costs. So at the minimum it will take 30 people who are legitimately interested for me to get the design files. I will tell you, it is going to look exactly like the stock part. Wider opening near the turbo, and no accordion. The shape will be identical and the hose will have a smoother transition of size from the intake side to the turbo side. There will be an aluminum fitting molded into the silicone for both the turbo fitting and the crank case vent fitting.
Got it. I totally understand. Thanks for letting us know. I was just curious. I hope that you get the quota that you are looking for. You are doing all the work and should do more than break even. I hope this works out.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #37
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

I'd be interested in this, but probably not until after my warranty is up.
Also, this is assuming that your inlet pipe could be fitted to an aftermarket turbo, mounted to an aftermarket exhaust (turbo) manifold.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #38
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
I'd be interested in this, but probably not until after my warranty is up.
Also, this is assuming that your inlet pipe could be fitted to an aftermarket turbo, mounted to an aftermarket exhaust (turbo) manifold.
It would fit anything that the stock inlet would fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #39
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Quote:
It would fit anything that the stock inlet would fit.
I'm guessing the aftermarket turbo that I get will have a larger inlet. Will there be an option to fit a different silicon coupler?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #40
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How much is the total cost of getting the design files? Maybe we can Split it as a community for a solid product. I'm not a fan of the pure cut and stick together with the oem piece of pipe.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #41
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3STER View Post
Quote:
How much is the total cost of getting the design files? Maybe we can Split it as a community for a solid product. I'm not a fan of the pure cut and stick together with the oem piece of pipe.
We're looking at around $400 for the files, which includes a photorealistic rendering of the final product. If people want to pitch in to get at least that done I would be more than happy to get them asap.

From there the next most expensive part is 3d prototyping to check fitment.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 05:18 AM   #42
Blackorchid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' 6MT G-35, 2017 6MT M2

any progress....updates??? gonna happen? not happen???
let us know.....
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #43
J3STER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We're looking at around $400 for the files, which includes a photorealistic rendering of the final product. If people want to pitch in to get at least that done I would be more than happy to get them asap.

From there the next most expensive part is 3d prototyping to check fitment.
Then we should at least pitch in for the design files, as a whole. I'm sure people here could afford $10-$15 a piece and have this done.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #44
BryanF30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3STER View Post
Then we should at least pitch in for the design files, as a whole. I'm sure people here could afford $10-$15 a piece and have this done.
I mean that would get the ball rolling much sooner. But I highly doubt many people would be on board for that. I guess we can see what other people think.
Appreciate 0