BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Latest Rumors on BMW Z4, 2 Series GC, X2, X7, 6 Series, 9 Series (Automobile Mag)

05-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #67
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4su2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
The 6 series GC is gorgeous though. The only GC that looks good done by BMW. Sorry but the 4GC is just ugly.
Ugly??
Ugly is a strong word. Both the 4er and 6er Gran Coupé's have a bit of disproportionate design. The F06 has just a bit too much rear overhang and deck-lid depth compared to the roofline and rear wheel arch. From certain angles it looks as if a bit of the rear body has gone missing. The 4er is the opposite. Not quite enough deck lid depth coupled with a very large rear quarter window over the rear wheel arch makes it appear a bit bloated from certain angles.

Ugly should be reserved for the 2er AT/GT
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #68
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr
So many conflicting stories for the new Z. The only thing we know for sure is BMW hates this f'ing model.
Wish they'd leave it as a hard top convertible. Hated my old Z4 that was a soft top.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #69
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx
Looking forward to 2 series grand coupe..
Why? 2 series were supposed to be coupes and convertibles. BMW just screwing up everything making all these models that won't sell for shit. Too many models. Hell, why have a 4 series? Could have kept it 3 series coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #70
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV
BMW has way too many models out. Their greed is going to nip them in the butt!

They should focus on advancing the technologies in their cars and driver enjoyment instead of making a model for every class of income.

Ps they could've made the Z4 amazing. Too bad.
Agreed with everything you said!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #71
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319
Z5 Roadster is deep in testing and should be about ready for its long and nauseating strip tease.

Saving weight lead BMW back to a soft top and is very welcomed. Just put a manual in it!

There will be another M Roadster. They could build a Z5 Coupe.

The F06 Gran Coupe is currently the best looking car BMW makes right now.

6 Series Cabriolet going away? That would seem unlikely as BMW is going with a one car series?

The return of the 8 Series makes sense but the current 6 Series is its successor but not in spirit.

The 9 Series as BMW range-topper and slotted below Rolls-Royce should be coming and will be the technical and seriously posh powerhouse car.
Putting a soft top back on the z4 or z5 whatever they are calling it is just cheap. Paying over 60,000 for a soft top? Screw that!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #72
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319
Z5 Roadster is deep in testing and should be about ready for its long and nauseating strip tease.

Saving weight lead BMW back to a soft top and is very welcomed. Just put a manual in it!

There will be another M Roadster. They could build a Z5 Coupe.

The F06 Gran Coupe is currently the best looking car BMW makes right now.

6 Series Cabriolet going away? That would seem unlikely as BMW is going with a one car series?

The return of the 8 Series makes sense but the current 6 Series is its successor but not in spirit.

The 9 Series as BMW range-topper and slotted below Rolls-Royce should be coming and will be the technical and seriously posh powerhouse car.
Putting a soft top back on the z4 or z5 whatever they are calling it is just cheap. Paying over 60,000 for a soft top? Screw that!
Well if it's quieter, lighter, and far less complex, why not? If it's the better choice for $250k+ vehicles, it's probably "good enough" for a $50k - $70k roadster. Folding hard-tops are an answer to a question very few were asking. Most who want a BMW Coupe, don't want a collapsing one. Those who want a drop-top, want one that doesn't swallow the whole boot, isn't plagued with wind noise from all the additional seals, and the mechanics that add extremely precious weight that isn't necessary.

Now that the time of mourning for the death of Naruse-San has finally passed, partnerships are back on track, the BMW/Toyota venture can move forward.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #73
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTS@STBMW
Wow...
Understatement.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #74
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Z4 is dead! One day soon a Z4 Coupe.

Z5 (Toyota Twin) Will replaces the current Z4.
I read a couple articles saying the Z5 will have larger dimensions and move upmarket to compete with F-type, 911, etc... A little disappointing actually, unless it gets the S63 V8.

Why can't BMW build a small sports car with a fixed roof? I guess BMW thinks it doesn't have what it takes, to take on the Cayman.
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #75
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_
Quote:

I read a couple articles saying the Z5 will have larger dimensions and move upmarket to compete with F-type, 911, etc... A little disappointing actually, unless it gets the S63 V8.

Why can't BMW build a small sports car with a fixed roof? I guess BMW thinks it doesn't have what it takes, to take on the Cayman.
The first Z4 was a horrible car. With the E89, an all female design team was assigned the task of making it a more refined car and marketing thought a folding hard-top would be a sound compromise. I think they were successful aesthetically and material wise, but at the same time, made it far too expensive to produce and the lack of a true coupe with the negatives of a folding hard-top hurt it. It's a fantastic car (albeit a bit porky), but falls in a bad price point in relation to its product point. The Z5 will bridge the mid-range in both marketing, model position, and price point. This leaves room for Z models above and below; something the E89 didn't allow.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:16 PM   #76
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_
Quote:

Correct.

Hybrid too.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #77
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
The first Z4 was a horrible car. With the E89, an all female design team was assigned the task of making it a more refined car and marketing thought a folding hard-top would be a sound compromise. I think they were successful aesthetically and material wise, but at the same time, made it far too expensive to produce and the lack of a true coupe with the negatives of a folding hard-top hurt it. It's a fantastic car (albeit a bit porky), but falls in a bad price point in relation to its product point. The Z5 will bridge the mid-range in both marketing, model position, and price point. This leaves room for Z models above and below; something the E89 didn't allow.
LOL
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #78
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
LOL
Quality wise it was. Cost cutting methods and underpinnings that were reheated one too many times didn't work out well in the end. They drove well (especially with an S54 up front), but that didn't help justify the the remaining lackluster qualities.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #79
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I don't think BMW is gonna sacrifice 1 Hatchback, esp in EU.
I won't miss the 3 Series GT though...
      05-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #80
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium
I don't think BMW is gonna sacrifice 1 Hatchback, esp in EU.
I won't miss the 3 Series GT though...
They won't in regards to the 1er. It will just be UKL FWD/AWD instead. The GT's likely aren't going anywhere either and will probably grow globally.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 11:43 PM   #81
im4su2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe, 2016 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Sorry. I know it's an opinion. I used to have an F32 and I loved the front portions and the aggressive look. I needed 4 doors so I looked at the GC but the rear of it just looks all bubbly and round to me.
Bubbly and round is sexy!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 12:39 AM   #82
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

The next 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I am in Beijing for the Next 100 Global Tour which is kind of fascinating from a different perspective as it is all about looking forward not looking at the past.
The BMW Vision Next 100 is showcased publicly and will be joined by new concepts from MINI & Rolls-Royce in London and also the public delivery of three Rolls-Royce Dawn models by one customer fully bespoke.

As far as I am aware there is nothing decided yet on the 6er as the numbers speak for itself. The Cabrio and Gran Coupe post respectable global numbers and globally speaking the Gran Coupe is the best selling 6er model. And there is a replacement already in development on the cards.

The 3er GT is actually exceeding market expectations accounting for over 20% of 3er sales which initially projected at around 10% of 3er volume. Although China is a driving force for cars like the 3er GT. European sales are its biggest market adding a hatch to the 3er increases its appeal especially to countries where the volume d-segment hatch is popular.

I would hope the Z5 Coupe is not cancelled. I would certainly hate it to be. Because I think the Coupe will justify the Roadster. The Roadster has a CFRP core starting from the A structure. Combine with a coupe and you have an intriguing recipe for more chassis and structural rigidity providing some exceptional driving dynamics. They need the coupe and they know it.

The 9er is expected to be BMWs ultimate flagship for Technology and sustainable innovation. It will have impressive design,lightweight body, innovative technology,outstanding Dynasm and high performance
With each model will be a PHEV drivetrain under the Power eDrive philosophy.
A fuel Cell soon to be shown in the next 5er Gran Turismo is also going to be available.

Also under discussion is a third Rolls-Royce model positioned between the next Ghost and Phantom.
It will be a four door but will be a more sporting car with a more dynamic roofline, think a Rolls-Royce Gran Coupe but with high exclusivity. There is an idea to expand the Black Badge series into a full fledged concept of exclusive personal luxury but with a more sporting edge. Therefore it could be a sister vehicle of sorts to the 9er. And provide further profitability for both models.

Two new Concepts will be unveiled at the Villa d'Este.
Every thing but the 3GT works for me. I hope they do all the other things and do it well. The 9 I would argue is not really needed with RR around but I could live with it if it was as nice as the CS concept.

The best news from an egineering point of view is the 6. If they mean what they say and throughly engineer the replacement to be a proper sports car, then good days are ahead for the image of the brand.

There is no mention of 3 or 4 and to me this is a core product that has lost serious ground to MB. It needs to be nothing short outstanding to keep BMW on top.

Last edited by N & M; 05-12-2016 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 01:41 AM   #83
CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Is there any confirmed news about the F15 LCI?

Seems like all the magazines talks about the F15 chassis being cut short but I have not seen anything with solid proof of this.

Alan
A little birdie tells me that the magazines are right on this one.
      05-12-2016, 02:33 AM   #84
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRR View Post
I don't belive the 1 Series Hatch will be dumped, no way. Sells way to good in Europe. They are everywhere.

Also don't believe the 6 Convertible and GC will not be continued. You see a lot more GC than actual Coupes in Europe. As said before the 9 Series will be another market.
I absolutely agree on the 1 Series Hatch - I still own a M135i, but it will be replaced as soon as my M2 is delivered. I know that the 1 Series Hatch isn't the most beautiful BMW (it never was, neither will be), but I still think the sales numbers do not allow dumping that model!
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 02:53 AM   #85
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz
Quote:

Seems like all the magazines talks about the F15 chassis being cut short but I have not seen anything with solid proof of this.

Alan
It isn't a secret, nor exactly getting "cut short" either. The F15/16/85/86 will receive updates and an "LCI Lite". It will be 7 years old by the time the Gxx X5/X6 come out.

CLAR still utilizes many existing components (such as suspension supports), but allows for more variation in the design and materials connecting them. This way, capacity can be adjusted to demand far easier. The additional production lines at Spartanburg can then be used as needed until X7 production ramp-up begins. In the mean time, X3/X4/X5/X6 capacity can be shifted to the other plants for a bit, those lines retooled, and start back up while still cranking out the last of the current models until it's time to switch over to their replacements.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #86
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz
Quote:

Alan
It isn't a secret, nor exactly getting "cut short" either. The F15/16/85/86 will receive updates and an "LCI Lite". It will be 7 years old by the time the Gxx X5/X6 come out.

CLAR still utilizes many existing components (such as suspension supports), but allows for more variation in the design and materials connecting them. This way, capacity can be adjusted to demand far easier. The additional production lines at Spartanburg can then be used as needed until X7 production ramp-up begins. In the mean time, X3/X4/X5/X6 capacity can be shifted to the other plants for a bit, those lines retooled, and start back up while still cranking out the last of the current models until it's time to switch over to their replacements.
This is unfortunately not true if you ask me. I still ordered one knowing new one is coming fast. I think new X5 is as early as August 2017 production.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #87
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

enough with the submodels and four dour coupes. make cars, make suv's, and make a few wagons. we don't need a crossover thing for every damn model in the lineup.
      05-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #88
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
This is unfortunately not true if you ask me. I still ordered one knowing new one is coming fast. I think new X5 is as early as August 2017 production.
No the X5 won't come that soon. It and the X6 are built in more than one factory besides Spartanburg and all the component tooling lines and Joint Venture Assembly Points have to all be updated for CLAR and UKL compatibility. Current EOP for F15 is July 2018, EOP for F16 July 2019. This is just a guess, but I could see both being moved to March 2019 EOP and X5,X6 SOP close to X7 SOP.
Appreciate 0