BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Long time BMW M man and current VP of Engineering, Albert Biermann, leaves BMW

12-22-2014, 03:40 AM   #23
123sub
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM2 View Post
The EU.
Then explain Lexus RC F.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 03:49 AM   #24
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 of Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
If a guy of this stature and experience leaves BMW, then I do belive that something is fishy in Bavaria.
And he leaves M for what? Like really?

I don't even know what to think... Like, there is no pride (from BMW and from him as well)?
I find his gesture very disturbing, close to the treason side, after thirty something years, you are leaving for another company. I thought that guys like this, are bond to a special niche like M, like a priest to a religion...
It is hard for me to believe that the choice was made from thegreed point of view...

On the other side, I wonder if BMW has something to do with it.

When people are moving arround in a company, the products end up to be poor. You need stability, loyalty and dedication to have a successful product. When you have staff moving arround, you will end up with nothing of quality.

Man, what a disappointment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyutz View Post
Working for BMW wasn't a challenge anymore, raising a brand like Hyundai and Kia to certain standards sure sounds like a challenge.
Just going to post the latter, I really think that's all it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 03:58 AM   #25
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Although this guy left and I'm sure he has the brains of a genius...

BMW remains a multi billion corporation and I'm sure BMW won't be struggling after he is gone.

I've owned 3 BMWs, one 335i coupe and two e92 M3s and I enjoyed driving them both every second I was in them.

With that said, I don't believe BMW is going down the toilet, nor are they messing things up.

Good for this guy Albert.. Let him go and move on to other ventures we may never know the "real" reAson he left, and really, who cares.. Many people act like this is such a big deal and it's going to change their BMW purchases.

End of rant.
      12-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #26
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123sub
Quote:
The EU.
Then explain Lexus RC F.
You lost me on this one......
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:16 AM   #27
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

I honestly am in shock with the changes that are happening. . First Reithofer, Diess, and now Bierman output.

Is bad news that Bierman move to another brand and lower, this is ruining Christmas with this news.

As would say my darling Taylor Swift.: Blank Space -Oh my God!- Oh No!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:19 AM   #28
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123sub
Quote:
The EU.
Then explain Lexus RC F.
They volume sell so many other hybrids that it balances out the CO2 figures. Don't get me wrong I'm all for large NA engines in the M range. The do gooders are winning the legislation though.
      12-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #29
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
told ya that turbo M was not gonna work...
Get over it! It's been almost 10 years since the first Turbo M.
      12-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #30
123sub
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E46M3

Quote:
They volume sell so many other hybrids that it balances out the CO2 figures. Don't get me wrong I'm all for large NA engines in the M range. The do gooders are winning the legislation though.
The total annual sale of M3/4 is very low compared to the rest of all the BMW models, so i dont buy that. I guess it is all about the money.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:53 AM   #31
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It's been almost 10 years since the first Turbo M.
??
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #32
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

The reason many BMW top managers are leaving now is the so called "Rule 60" which is strictly followed within BMW AG.

It's an internal BMW AG corporate rule saying BMW top executive officials (heads, chiefs, presidents, vice-presidents etc) can only be in the top position until they turn 60 - then they are obliged to step down (and either retire, leave for a job @ another company, or take a non-executive job within BMW - which is actually a downgrade for a person's career).

Therefore many active top BMW managers (who want to continue their respected managerial careers) prepare to leave the company when they are close to 60, and continue their careers @ other companies ... even beyond 60. And if / when they got an attractive offer, they definitely take it.

Current BMW Group CEO Reithofer is 58, M GmbH CEO Nitschke is 59, BMW Group Head of R&B Diess is 57, and Biermann is 56.

Meaning they are all under "Rule 60" impact in the following few years. Therefore it's time for a new generation of managers. BMW AG new CEO Krüger (ex-chief of production BMW Group) is 49, new M GmbH director van Meel (ex-managing director of Audi Quattro GmbH division) is 48 etc. I'm sure M GmbH Head of development will also be someone younger.

And so Diess went to VAG to manage VW Passenger Cars Division, Biermann went to Hyundai, Nitschke is retiring, Reithofer will be offer a position of BMW Group supervisory board chairman (which is a top non-executive position within BMW Group - current held by ex-CEO Milberg who is 71).

Fröhlich, who replaced Diess as BMW Group Chief of R&D is also turning 55 soon, so he's also close to 60. I would not be surprised he also leaves soon and is replaced with someone younger.

There's no other reason behind ... No conspiracy theory. No Armageddon approaching. It's a natural change of generations @ top positions in the company. BMW AG does it every decade, actually. In 2006 Reithofer replaced Panke who was 60 then. And in in May 2015 Krüger will replace Reithofer who will turn 59 then.
Appreciate 4
      12-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #33
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Seems like a big loss for BMW, ~31 years of invaluable experience leaving.

Perhaps ///M has become too mundane, too easy?

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #34
Envyscorpio
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2001 Honda NSX  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Oh wtf, just wtf...
      12-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #35
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Biermann's departure may indicate BMW is in the process of a significant change.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #36
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qunadry View Post
Wonder if he drew the line at a M2 Active Tourer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #37
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Change at M will be a good thing.
      12-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #38
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

///M is dead. This is real sad news!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #39
SHLin
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

soon Hyundai is going to release fancy performance car under Biermann's name, some people is going to buy this
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #40
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnI
The reason many BMW top managers are leaving now is the so called "Rule 60" which is strictly followed within BMW AG.

It's an internal BMW AG corporate rule saying BMW top executive officials (heads, chiefs, presidents, vice-presidents etc) can only be in the top position until they turn 60 - then they are obliged to step down (and either retire, leave for a job @ another company, or take a non-executive job within BMW - which is actually a downgrade for a person's career).

Therefore many active top BMW managers (who want to continue their respected managerial careers) prepare to leave the company when they are close to 60, and continue their careers @ other companies ... even beyond 60. And if / when they got an attractive offer, they definitely take it.

Current BMW Group CEO Reithofer is 58, M GmbH CEO Nitschke is 59, BMW Group Head of R&B Diess is 57, and Biermann is 56.

Meaning they are all under "Rule 60" impact in the following few years. Therefore it's time for a new generation of managers. BMW AG new CEO Krger (ex-chief of production BMW Group) is 49, new M GmbH director van Meel (ex-managing director of Audi Quattro GmbH division) is 48 etc. I'm sure M GmbH Head of development will also be someone younger.

And so Diess went to VAG to manage VW Passenger Cars Division, Biermann went to Hyundai, Nitschke is retiring, Reithofer will be offer a position of BMW Group supervisory board chairman (which is a top non-executive position within BMW Group - current held by ex-CEO Milberg who is 71).

Frhlich, who replaced Diess as BMW Group Chief of R&D is also turning 55 soon, so he's also close to 60. I would not be surprised he also leaves soon and is replaced with someone younger.

There's no other reason behind ... No conspiracy theory. No Armageddon approaching. It's a natural change of generations @ top positions in the company. BMW AG does it every decade, actually. In 2006 Reithofer replaced Panke who was 60 then. And in in May 2015 Krger will replace Reithofer who will turn 59 then.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #41
v1p3r
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnI View Post

Meaning they are all under "Rule 60" impact in the following few years. Therefore it's time for a new generation of managers. BMW AG new CEO Krüger (ex-chief of production BMW Group) is 49, new M GmbH director van Meel (ex-managing director of Audi Quattro GmbH division) is 48 etc. I'm sure M GmbH Head of development will also be someone younger.

Fröhlich, who replaced Diess as BMW Group Chief of R&D is also turning 55 soon, so he's also close to 60. I would not be surprised he also leaves soon and is replaced with someone younger.

There's no other reason behind ... No conspiracy theory. No Armageddon approaching. It's a natural change of generations @ top positions in the company. BMW AG does it every decade, actually. In 2006 Reithofer replaced Panke who was 60 then. And in in May 2015 Krüger will replace Reithofer who will turn 59 then.
Than you for this. Lots of people just shouting "oh gawd no!!! End of M" isn't the way to go here

2014 F30 320d M-Sport, Estoril Blue II
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #42
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

...Hyundai has done this before when they secured the services of another prominent name from the German car industry, Peter Schreyer ( Audi TT, Audi A3, Audi A4, Audi A6, Volkswagen New Beetle etc). And it worked, he managed to transform the Hyundai design language into something more palatable and propel Hyundai in what it is today. He is the only non-Asian serving in a major Asian car manufacturer Board. The Koreans are "[...] in a situation where Audi was 30 years ago, and even longer," Schreyer said during a lecture at Yonsei University in Seoul in May. He also said that Kia, which jointly conducts research and development with Hyundai Motor, needs to further improve its technology. Interestingly he mentions BMW at the lecture ..."BMW is famous for engines. This is the core of BMW, the path they will not leave. They're investing a lot in technology ". Apparently Hyundai wants to replicate what the Bavarian's do best. And they follow the same recipe Samsung and other big Korean companies have been using for years, hiring people from the best companies around to teach them how to transition to the upper level in a record time. They deserve an applause for that.
Hope the American car companies are watching and will learn from these guys...before is not too late.

Last edited by RMG; 12-22-2014 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #43
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

In the latest months BMW M GmbH poached several top managers & engineers from other respected companies.

Eg. ex-managing director of Audi Quattro GmbH, Frank van Meel, has been even named new CEO of M GmbH.

The other two worth of mentioning are Arnd Meyer, chief of chassis development @ MB's AMG division, and Ferrari's technical director Roberto Fedeli.

All 3 of them have been involved in electric / hybrid sports car development: R8 e-tron, SLS AMG ElectricDrive, LaFerrari. Top

Rumor has it another top engineer / manager from a very respected car company will join M GmbH. Announcement is expected in the next few weeks.

My bet is ... someone from Porsche or McLaren. 918 & P1, anyone?

It's more than obvious M is going hybrid (or even fully electric?) in the future.

Biermann's expertise will be surely missed but it's his choice to pursue managerial career after his 60. At BMW he would be done @ 60 ... set for retirement.

IMHO it's a bit strange rule forcing people to leave top positions when turning 60 ... It's like throwing away much respected know-how & expertise such people posses ... Or letting such know-how & expertise to go to some other (rival) company. But on the other hand: letting go the older managers & engineers top positions open to younger ones, and they are much more motivated to work for BMW Group - knowing they can be promoted quite soon, and not only when they are 60 or so.

Don't worry ... the show must go on. And it will go on.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #44
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123sub View Post
Then explain Lexus RC F.
A lot of it has to do with the way car companies are held accountable for their fuel economy and emissions standards. CAFE, for example, is a corporate average. Toyota is able to treat Lexus as a subsidiary, and therefore roll their sales in to their overall corporate average. This means that Toyota gets to use all their Prius sales to offset the sale of a few thousand RC F models.

When you start reading up on how the fuel economy and emissions standards work, the moves that BMW are making begin to make more sense. BMW has to change the way they make cars. They can't continue making every single model driver-focused, naturally aspirated, RWD, because that formula doesn't provide the emissions and fuel economy numbers they need to pull their average up. Even M models have had to make some concessions, because by global auto manufacturer standards, BMW is still a small-ish company.

As forward thinking as BMW is, the i program is there to solve a problem. Mini sales are flailing, and BMW needs a boost to their overall environmental performance. Lexus has no such problem.

RC F, explained.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0