BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > N55B30T0 vs. N55B30O0 - what will be the differences?

02-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #45
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
But like someone had mentioned before, the fact that the n55 cannot normally handle 360+ HP is beneficial in BMW's eyes. They would prefer to use an engine that cannot be easily tuned to beat its more expensive siblings (m3 and m4).

However, I think this is good for us customers too. Because with this decision, BMW must now prove to us that the dynamics of the car can make up for its lack of performance expansion capabilities.

What I think we'll get, is not a car the blows your mind in a straight line - but is packed with emotion and finesse that no other company can match. They will have to wow us with the car as a complete package of the BMW spirit.

I'm perfectly happy with how this is looking.
+1. I would think that most people here looking for the M2 aren't looking for straight line performance. Otherwise, we'd probably be looking at other cars. As someone said in the other thread, if they had just taken the brakes, suspension and EPS from the M3/4 and thrown it on an M235i, I would have been happy enough already. The new body work, quad exhaust and all that stuff is just an extra bonus for me. Oh and 30-50hp bump is not bad too, but it was far from my biggest concern.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #46
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
M235 will eventually get B58 engine (per Scott). Thats around 330-340hp..

M2 should have a healthy increase over that. I sort of agree with 375hp that autobild is predicting, unless BMW plan to start with 350 and bump it up later..

i think most people guess the b58 will have 320 ish. which is realistically what the n55 has. (in m235, 640i / 740i and z4 sdrive 35is versions more or less right?)

i could see bmw sticking with the n55 in the m2 just because it has a more square cylinder design. it can rev higher. it will have sportier character.

the b58 isn't really design so much to be a higher power engine i'd guess. it doesn't have some new breakthrough in internal combustion tech that would give it a big leap in performance. it is not variable valve timing, adding a turbo or direct injection. its just a new revision.

its looks like its designed for commonality of engine family parts for cost savings and different injectors for emmisions. has a longer stroke smaller bore too (less peak rpm, better efficiency at low revs for torque)

now, sure cost savings for parts , less carbon emissions production and a torque down low are great for BMW the company (torque down low would help a lot on say a X5 or X7 or 7 series right, and they are all using the same engines). but if you are an enthusiast, well its possible the less efficient, more polluting , shorter stroke n55 while be more fun and produce basically the same power.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #47
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
But like someone had mentioned before, the fact that the n55 cannot normally handle 360+ HP is beneficial in BMW's eyes. They would prefer to use an engine that cannot be easily tuned to beat its more expensive siblings (m3 and m4).

However, I think this is good for us customers too. Because with this decision, BMW must now prove to us that the dynamics of the car can make up for its lack of performance expansion capabilities.

What I think we'll get, is not a car the blows your mind in a straight line - but is packed with emotion and finesse that no other company can match. They will have to wow us with the car as a complete package of the BMW spirit.

I'm perfectly happy with how this is looking.
Time will tell...
      02-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #48
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

People have been tuneing the N55 for years. It is clear that you can run it at a higher output reliably. I'm sure with a few tweaks, we will be seeing close to 350-360 rwhp out of the M2. Whatever crank HP they say is besides the point, BMW always underrates their engines.

Curb weight really should be coming in below the M3 (3530 with a manual). I hope to see as close to 3400 pounds as possible. I don't think that is asking too much.

Unfortunately the M2 will most likely be competing with the new camaro. That will be an interesting comparison...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:31 AM   #49
ZeroEmissionZ
Private
Rep
Drives: i3

would one be able to replace the M2 motor with a m135i engine or even 2012 BMW 535i, my understanding is they all are n55b30 motors? reason I ask is I have a M2 and the engine is blown and it will cost way too much to replace the motor or rebuild , and I have found a motor of a 2012 535i which my i hope can get my car back on the road at least
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:06 AM   #50
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEmissionZ View Post
would one be able to replace the M2 motor with a m135i engine or even 2012 BMW 535i, my understanding is they all are n55b30 motors? reason I ask is I have a M2 and the engine is blown and it will cost way too much to replace the motor or rebuild , and I have found a motor of a 2012 535i which my i hope can get my car back on the road at least
Nop, different internals.
AFAIK the M2 is the only N55 with its internals.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:06 AM   #51
ZeroEmissionZ
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcher View Post
sorry what do you mean ? maybe im not understanding the translation , can you please further explain? <3
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:24 AM   #52
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
sorry what do you mean ? maybe im not understanding the translation , can you please further explain? <3
Wow this thread is 4 years old!

Anyway, what he means is only the M2 has "this" N55 engine. Think of it as a special edition N55 engine. The name designation and the bulk of the engine are the same sure, but BMW changed some components on it for the increased performance of the M2. Surely you didn't think the M2 has the same engine as the regular 2 series just because it's based on the same platform. If you were to swap a regular N55 motor into the M2 it would not be the same as the N55 made for the M2, if that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
tranck500.50
      03-27-2019, 06:27 AM   #53
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Both engines have a few different components (Pistons, etc.).

It is the same engine block with partially different components. It won't work unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #54
ZeroEmissionZ
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post

Anyway, what he means is only the M2 has "this" N55 engine. Think of it as a special edition N55 engine. The name designation and the bulk of the engine are the same sure, but BMW changed some components on it for the increased performance of the M2. Surely you didn't think the M2 has the same engine as the regular 2 series just because it's based on the same platform. If you were to swap a regular N55 motor into the M2 it would not be the same as the N55 made for the M2, if that makes sense.
are you just speculating , or 100% certain?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #55
ZeroEmissionZ
Private
Rep

Quote:

It is the same engine block with partially different components. It won't work unfortunately.
so because the internals are different it wont work? hmmmm I've had people on this forum say "it will work" and some the complete opposite, nice now im totally confused

I cant see why it wouldn't work If it is the same motor just forged internal parts made stronger to take more tuning power and pushing the car harder. Yes what im doing might be "wrong", but try finding a "M2" motor in Australia for sale, and then try getting it rebuilt it isn't going to be something cheap at all, and the parts are 4 weeks away according to BMW , not sure which mechanic is going to want to have a motor apart for 4 weeks in there garage too
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #56
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
so because the internals are different it wont work? hmmmm I've had people on this forum say "it will work" and some the complete opposite, nice now im totally confused

I cant see why it wouldn't work If it is the same motor just forged internal parts made stronger to take more tuning power and pushing the car harder. Yes what im doing might be "wrong", but try finding a "M2" motor in Australia for sale, and then try getting it rebuilt it isn't going to be something cheap at all, and the parts are 4 weeks away according to BMW , not sure which mechanic is going to want to have a motor apart for 4 weeks in there garage too
If you want to try it, why not get internals for an N55 and put them into your blown M2 motor then? Seems to me to be the better option as we know it fits. Or find a blown S55 and take the crank and pistons....
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #57
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

The other two were just saying it's not the true og m2 engine. Parts are different. The "regular n55" will fit just fine and work fine with a competent shop installing it. I imagine some ecu stuff will have to be tweaked and you still might have some lights going off, but you'll have a running car.

I saw a thread about someone putting a s55 engine in there, perhaps you do that instead? Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #58
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah you can assemble that N55 from the 535i but you won't get the performance nor power from the M2's N55. If that's what you bought an M2 for, go ahead.

Oh and of course you need a tune since the engine is running on different components which may require particular attention. I'm in no way an expert there to go any deeper.

Different pistons, camshaft, bearings?, etc etc, it's more than a couple of things different. There is a reason they're different. And I promise that reason isn't M2 being just nice when cutting costs is a #1 priority everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #59
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I can't imagine why the swap can't be done seeing physically everything should be the same when it comes to mounting and connections. The question is whether it's going to run properly and how reliable it's going to be as there's likely several ECU parameters that are set up different on the M2 such as timing, overboost, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #60
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post

I'm 100% certain the M2 engine is not the same as the engine in a 235i or any other BMW model. Just because it has the same name doesn't mean it's exactly the same. The M2 engine is tuned for higher performance. Sure you can swap in the N55 from the other models, but now you'll no longer have an M2 or the power from the M2's N55.
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      03-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #61
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
He's not speculating. You can read up on it. The N55 in the M2 share the crankshaft bearings & piston rings from the S55. I'm not sure about the pistons. The oil pan is different, as well as the intake system. There are other differences that I can't remember, but someone just posted a break down of it in one of the threads. I had a M235i and it was quick, but I can tell the M2 is a little more powerful, but not by much IMHO.

I'm probably in the minority, but have always liked what BMW did with the N55 to make it for the M2, and prefer it over the S55 in the M2C.

I'm a geek for that type of stuff, and fell in love with the original idea of the M2, in taking a 2 series and tweaking it to make it an M car.
Appreciate 4
tranck500.50
termigni1081.00
krizze928.00
      03-27-2019, 07:00 PM   #62
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

If you can find a salvaged x4 M40i....

That'll have the exact same engine as the M2.

N series not B of course.

Unsure if a direct transplant would be possible due to intake, engine mount, harness differences.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2019, 07:04 PM   #63
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I made a list for you guys.

No, you can't put a PWG N55 into M2, DMEs are different.
Attached Images

03-27-2019, 07:38 PM   #64
ZeroEmissionZ
Private
Rep

If one removed all electronic and sensors will it work ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #65
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

M2 engine has cast iron cylinder sleeves and different exhaust manifold too.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #66
ZeroEmissionZ
Private
Rep

My understanding was the internals on the M2 are identical just forged , someone else also said if you removed the intake, turbo, and oil pan swapping them over it would work. I just got quoted on the crankshaft $3700 AUD not including labour or any other part :'( how do I get myself out of this mess :'(
Appreciate 0