BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > ....With a little help form me friends! BM3 stage 2 logs

06-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

....With a little help form me friends! BM3 stage 2 logs

So it feels great to be back in the game with a 2017 MGM M2 after driving a small pick-up for two years (and finally paying it off) as part of moving to a multiple car strategy.

I just picked up the car a few weeds ago. I have not even received a tag for the car yet but of course she is already FBO with catless DP, wagner evo II FMIC, and ER charge pipes HAHA. In comes the BM3 stage 2 93 OTS map and it feels pretty good until I get up top.

Would love those who are well versed in the M2 n55 to give me there thoughts before I start chasing octane, plugs, or switching coils around in case I'm missing something obvious. Its been a few years since I was logging regularly with the cobb platform and reviewing with datazap on the 135's.

I can physically feel either throttle closures or the timing that's getting pulled in the upper RPM range. Looks like no throttle closures to my eye. Cylinders 4-5 seem particularly noisy and are pulling a few degrees up top.
Also AFR looks a little lean to me but HPFP target and actual seem fairly in line with one another

Tried to get all the critical channels on the log and glad to add any that are needed.

First couple logs after driving on the tune for a few days.

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d028f20ae729b36487ac441

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d028f60ae729b36487ac444

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d028fadae729b36487ac446

Any thoughts?

Goal for the car is a smooth 380 at the wheels on 93 and being able to beat on it in the GA heat. Track days and mtn runs. No draging but a lot of doughnuts!

A custom tune for repeatable top end (rather than so much low down torque) is definitely in the near future but I want to make sure hardware is sorted before going down that route.

Any input on the logs would be great!

Last edited by ONDEMAND; 06-14-2019 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Looking at ambient pressure you're probably at 1,500 ft, so you might be feeling the turbo max out. WGDC hits 100% at high RPM. Rest of the logs look pretty good overall. Timing is near perfect on the middle log. I don't think you need to chase anything really, the pure inlet might help on the duty cycle but that's about all you can do to combat it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

I’m not really qualified to respond...but that’s never stopped me before !
I’ve come to believe that the PTF OTS STG 2 93 tune is too aggressive for pump 93, especially when hard pressed in higher ambients. I think this really shows up in higher rpms (say 5800 to 6300+) in 4th gear. If you’re going to beat on it at all, I believe you’ll need some more octane...for starters.
Flash the Stg 2 91 and compare..it may help some and I don’t think you’ll be down but a few hp.

Oh yeah...welcome back to the fold !

Last edited by M2C AW; 06-13-2019 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
Looking at ambient pressure you're probably at 1,500 ft, so you might be feeling the turbo max out. WGDC hits 100% at high RPM. Rest of the logs look pretty good overall. Timing is near perfect on the middle log. I don't think you need to chase anything really, the pure inlet might help on the duty cycle but that's about all you can do to combat it.
Thanks! You are right on the elevation in these parts. I suppose this may indeed be getting all the stock turbo has to offer and with my reference point being the slightly smaller PWG turbo from the N55 less head room is available from stock tune on the M2. There is a pure inlet on my bench that will go on the car at some point. Access to that one nut from below is a real bitch. I even dropped the water pump and still could not get a good approach with socket and extension. The DP and IC were in and the day was getting late so I decided to wait on the inlet installation. Will get to it soon.

Any thoughts on AFR? Seems a little lean in the midrange rpm for WOT to me. On the 135 high 11's to low 12's was just right and safe. Admittedly I've been out of the loop on the newer N55's with EWG but trying to get a handle on what AFR ranges are healthy for this platform.

Would love to see an M2 N55 healthy tuning thread where we might establish some general ranges for AFR, timing, IAT, ect to educate those of us who have a general understanding but don't quite know what is pushing the envelope or really stressing the motor. That last N55 135 was FBO, custom tuned with PS1 for 70,000 miles and I exercised it thoroughly! Logged it regularly and never had an issue on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
I’ve come to believe that the PTF OTS STG 2 93 tune is too aggressive for pump 93, especially when hard pressed in higher ambients. I think this really shows up in higher rpms (say 5800 to 6300+) in 4th gear. If you’re going to beat on it at all, I believe you’ll need some more octane...for starters.
Flash the Stg 2 91 and compare..it may help some and I don’t think you’ll be down but a few hp.

Thank you brotha! I'd agree it seems the OTS stage 2 93 may just be overly aggressive. Definitely starts the party down low. I had PTF work thru a more linear custom map on the last N55 and it was great with the PS1 turbo. Progressive boost building to 6.5k.

At this point I'm planning to add a few gallons of sunoco 260 GT and log the ST2 93 map again to see if anything improves. I'll also see how ST2 91 logs with standard shell 93 fuel. It may be a week or two before I can get over to the track and grab the 260 GT so in the mean time I'll flash the 91 map and go from there.

Shifting above 6k to avoid lag, and the hesitation I feel up top (potentially maxing turbo out) is driving me mad so I'd rather set the bar lower and be on target without issue the whole way. Tuning during the hottest part of the season should expose any weakness and make for happy motoring the rest of the year!

I'll report back as things move forward.

Thanks fellas
      06-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
Cornally
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONDEMAND View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
Thanks! You are right on the elevation in these parts. I suppose this may indeed be getting all the stock turbo has to offer and with my reference point being the slightly smaller PWG turbo from the N55 less head room is available from stock tune on the M2. There is a pure inlet on my bench that will go on the car at some point. Access to that one nut from below is a real bitch. I even dropped the water pump and still could not get a good approach with socket and extension. The DP and IC were in and the day was getting late so I decided to wait on the inlet installation. Will get to it soon.

Any thoughts on AFR? Seems a little lean in the midrange rpm for WOT to me. On the 135 high 11's to low 12's was just right and safe. Admittedly I've been out of the loop on the newer N55's with EWG but trying to get a handle on what AFR ranges are healthy for this platform.

Would love to see an M2 N55 healthy tuning thread where we might establish some general ranges for AFR, timing, IAT, ect to educate those of us who have a general understanding but don't quite know what is pushing the envelope or really stressing the motor. That last N55 135 was FBO, custom tuned with PS1 for 70,000 miles and I exercised it thoroughly! Logged it regularly and never had an issue on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post

Thank you brotha! I'd agree it seems the OTS stage 2 93 may just be overly aggressive. Definitely starts the party down low. I had PTF work thru a more linear custom map on the last N55 and it was great with the PS1 turbo. Progressive boost building to 6.5k.

At this point I'm planning to add a few gallons of sunoco 260 GT and log the ST2 93 map again to see if anything improves. I'll also see how ST2 91 logs with standard shell 93 fuel. It may be a week or two before I can get over to the track and grab the 260 GT so in the mean time I'll flash the 91 map and go from there.

Shifting above 6k to avoid lag, and the hesitation I feel up top (potentially maxing turbo out) is driving me mad so I'd rather set the bar lower and be on target without issue the whole way. Tuning during the hottest part of the season should expose any weakness and make for happy motoring the rest of the year!

I'll report back as things move forward.

Thanks fellas
My logs have been much cleaner on the 91 OTS map running Shell 93.

I love the idea of a pinned thread with the hive-mind dump of N55 M2 knowledge...
Appreciate 0