BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bm3 and tablets

06-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
Jkurahara
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Bm3 and tablets

Hey everyone,

Finally diving in and having bm3 flashed tomorrow. I’m wondering if anyone knows if I can use a tablet without the wifi module from ptf to log/ change maps?

I have an iPad which I’d prefer to use but I also have a windows tablet I can use. I’m thinking of using an enet cable and a lightning or USB adapter to connect it.

Would this work and allow me to log and change maps at the track?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkurahara View Post
Hey everyone,

Finally diving in and having bm3 flashed tomorrow. I’m wondering if anyone knows if I can use a tablet without the wifi module from ptf to log/ change maps?

I have an iPad which I’d prefer to use but I also have a windows tablet I can use. I’m thinking of using an enet cable and a lightning or USB adapter to connect it.

Would this work and allow me to log and change maps at the track?
No it wouldn't work, and there is a reason. You have to understand the architecture of BM3.

BM3 is predominantly a cloud service, but there is some amount of caching the happens with the OBD Agent. This cacheing would be flash files you've downloaded, or logs you've created before they're uploaded.

The OBD Agent is a software package that can run on a laptop (Mac or Windows) or on a Raspberry Pi. The OBD Agent Device that PTF sells is nothing more than a Raspberry Pi with their customised Linux OS.

As you know, you use a web browser to flash and log, and this actually connects seamlessly to the OBD Agent software somewhere on your network. If you've not used a phone or tablet before, it was probably running on the same PC you used the browser in, but it doesn't need to be, it just needs to be on the same network.

Having a dedicated OBD Agent device, connected hardwired to the car (ENET) is far safer than relying on a WiFi connection from a phone or tablet.

I suppose, now that the iPad can support a Wired Ethernet connection, PTF might consider porting their Mac OBD Agent software to iOS, but to be honest, having the OBD Agent permanently connected and just using WiFi on the phone or tablet to connect to it is a far more convenient and elegant solution.

You could probably build a Raspberry Pi OBD Agent yourself for less than the cost of the wired iPad adaptors needed. There are a few threads around talking you through this process, or drop me a PM and I'll make you one.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
No it wouldn't work, and there is a reason. You have to understand the architecture of BM3.

BM3 is predominantly a cloud service, but there is some amount of caching the happens with the OBD Agent. This cacheing would be flash files you've downloaded, or logs you've created before they're uploaded.

The OBD Agent is a software package that can run on a laptop (Mac or Windows) or on a Raspberry Pi. The OBD Agent Device that PTF sells is nothing more than a Raspberry Pi with their customised Linux OS.

As you know, you use a web browser to flash and log, and this actually connects seamlessly to the OBD Agent software somewhere on your network. If you've not used a phone or tablet before, it was probably running on the same PC you used the browser in, but it doesn't need to be, it just needs to be on the same network.

Having a dedicated OBD Agent device, connected hardwired to the car (ENET) is far safer than relying on a WiFi connection from a phone or tablet.

I suppose, now that the iPad can support a Wired Ethernet connection, PTF might consider porting their Mac OBD Agent software to iOS, but to be honest, having the OBD Agent permanently connected and just using WiFi on the phone or tablet to connect to it is a far more convenient and elegant solution.

You could probably build a Raspberry Pi OBD Agent yourself for less than the cost of the wired iPad adaptors needed. There are a few threads around talking you through this process, or drop me a PM and I'll make you one.

I think it cost me $50 or less to make one. The only gotcha for me was that I was using wifi hotspot on my phone to connect to OBD agent rasberry Pi and I had to set the hotspot to 2.4 ghz band instead of 5 ghz before the Rasberry Pi could connect to my phone.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
Jkurahara
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

What you mentioned last sounds great, what I meant and ended up doing was a windows tablet (similar to a surface) and am now just figuring out how to mount it in my car. Because it runs full windows 10 it worked but you’re right in the iPad I think, I didn’t even attempt that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post

Appreciate 0