BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Downpipes and emissions inspection

05-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #23
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
The run around appears to be standard procedure. I’ve read a few such stories from forum members. And then there’s this instagram https://instagram.com/fabspeedsucks?...=14y5tlqx08rv1
I will continue to steer clear of fabspeed.
Yep. I have crossed Fabspeed off my list of vendors due to multiple examples where they make customers jump through hoops rather than do the right thing and replace the downpipe. I don't care if 100 people are driving around with no CEL with their Fabspeed downpipe if this is the way they deal with a single person that has issues. Either stop advertising claims of no CEL or start supporting your product better.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      05-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #24
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
They probably reading this thinking, "Damn, this mo-fo just killed our final deflection.."

Look, FS is an aftermarket provider, if I purchased one of there downpipes and got a CEL, I wouldn't even be upset simply because I am aware that there's always a risk when you decide to interfere with a factory emission control. Be it a CEL or denial of your factory warranty coverage.

For instance, I have a Dinan stage 1 and I recently failed OBD2 state inspection, twice, due to the Dinantronics ECU keeping the cat and O2 sensor in a "not ready" state.

Dinan originally claimed that they were emission compliant in all 50 states but when I spoke to them, they suggested I remove the piggyback prior to the inspection...

I still I didn't get upset or torn them a new one because I accepted the risk when I decided to use a piggyback device to increased the factory power output and just chucked it up to the cost of doing business.

Not saying FS should be indemnified for this issue but cut them a little slack on basis that this was bound to happen eventually.

Now if they're smart and don't want to continue being scolded in the court of public opinion, possible costing them future sales, they should just replace the cat and move on.
Your amicable-ness is admirable. However, companies make promises/ guarantees that mislead their customers whether intentional or not it is their responsibility to make it right. By shrugging it off we as customers are allowing them to screw us over. You really should tell your dinan story to the forum if you haven’t already.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
They probably reading this thinking, "Damn, this mo-fo just killed our final deflection.."

Look, FS is an aftermarket provider, if I purchased one of there downpipes and got a CEL, I wouldn't even be upset simply because I am aware that there's always a risk when you decide to interfere with a factory emission control. Be it a CEL or denial of your factory warranty coverage.

For instance, I have a Dinan stage 1 and I recently failed OBD2 state inspection, twice, due to the Dinantronics ECU keeping the cat and O2 sensor in a "not ready" state.

Dinan originally claimed that they were emission compliant in all 50 states but when I spoke to them, they suggested I remove the piggyback prior to the inspection...

I still I didn't get upset or torn them a new one because I accepted the risk when I decided to use a piggyback device to increased the factory power output and just chucked it up to the cost of doing business.

Not saying FS should be indemnified for this issue but cut them a little slack on basis that this was bound to happen eventually.

Now if they're smart and don't want to continue being scolded in the court of public opinion, possible costing them future sales, they should just replace the cat and move on.
Your amicable-ness is admirable. However, companies make promises/ guarantees that mislead their customers whether intentional or not it is their responsibility to make it right. By shrugging it off we as customers are allowing them to screw us over. You really should tell your dinan story to the forum if you haven't already.
Don't get me wrong, I'm on the side of the consumer, especially after spending $1,300 on a part. However, nothing aftermarket surprises me.. It's always a roll of the dice..

I did share my story, I don't think anyone cared

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24650832
Appreciate 0