BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Wastegate Actuator Rattle

05-22-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Wastegate Actuator Rattle

I just had my M2 at the dealer because I'm hearing a metallic rattling noise every time I turn the car on/off and when I let off the throttle. The service center was able to pinpoint the noise to be coming from the WGA, specifically the pivoting arm. According to them, this is a normal sound and nothing to be worried about, so they weren't able to repair or replace the part.

I wanted to see if anyone on here has had the same issue and what, if anything, they were able to do to get rid of the noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
I just had my M2 at the dealer because I'm hearing a metallic rattling noise every time I turn the car on/off and when I let off the throttle. The service center was able to pinpoint the noise to be coming from the WGA, specifically the pivoting arm. According to them, this is a normal sound and nothing to be worried about, so they weren't able to repair or replace the part.

I wanted to see if anyone on here has had the same issue and what, if anything, they were able to do to get rid of the noise.
I spent days agonizing over this after my fabspeed install. Never found a solution and the wastegate pivot arm felt loose but holding it still while starting the car never helped. I made a thread https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1435756 and there was some discussion, maybe it will help you a bit. I just adapted to it since it sounds normal.

Appreciate 1
TheHaze152.00
      05-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
I spent days agonizing over this after my fabspeed install. Never found a solution and the wastegate pivot arm felt loose but holding it still while starting the car never helped. I made a thread https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1435756 and there was some discussion, maybe it will help you a bit. I just adapted to it since it sounds normal.
Hey thanks for the reply. I'd bet we have a similar noise, it's just kind of hard to hear it in your video (much more noticeable in person). Do you hear it when you let off throttle, or just at start/stop and low speeds? I notice it every time I upshift now. The service dept. said they held the pivot arm in place to keep it from vibrating and the noise went away, but there was nothing they could do since the part is still technically working as intended.
Appreciate 0