BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 MPE vs b58 MPE

05-10-2019, 03:34 AM   #1
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw340iMPPSK/BmwM2MPE

M2 MPE vs b58 MPE

Hi! I just bought a 2016 m2 equipped with an m performance exhaust. I recently had a 340i also equipped with the m performance exhaust. My question now is, why does the m2 pop and bang much less than the 340 b58 engine? I admit that the m2 has a much nicer engine tone, but from my previous ownership I got quite addicted to these funny pops and bangs. Especially when I pushed second gear to 5,5k rpm and released the throttle for some really nice gunshots! I just wonder why the m2 dont want to do the same. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

The pops and crackles don't really have much to do with the exhaust. They are determined by the engine management.
To get more you can run an aftermarket tune like BM3 that produces more of the sound effects.

Edit: oh, and the M2 doesn't do it in Comfort mode at all. Try the Traction/MDM mode
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

The M2 pops less because it's running more efficiently. While the pops and crackles sound cool they result in slowing of exhaust gas through the exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
The M2 pops less because it's running more efficiently. While the pops and crackles sound cool they result in slowing of exhaust gas through the exhaust system.
Mine only pops when I take my foot off the throttle. The other day I was in town driving in sport+ mode. I gunned the throttle to get around a slow poke. When took my foot off the peddle the exhaust popped so loud it sounded like a gunshot. Everyone walking around on the sidewalk looked at me...not in a nice way. 🤭
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Mine only pops when I take my foot off the throttle. The other day I was in town driving in sport+ mode. I gunned the throttle to get around a slow poke. When took my foot off the peddle the exhaust popped so loud it sounded like a gunshot. Everyone walking around on the sidewalk looked at me...not in a nice way. 🤭
Haha. Next do it in a parking garage, with MPE valves open, bm3 AGG tune, and a catless downpipe. Even with stock downpipe, mine scared the crap out of me and everyone around.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I think my M2 is on the verge of "too much" burbles (although more "pops" would be nice). It's a little embarrassing in stop and go traffic it's basically a non-stop burble machine. My remedy for this is to clutch in sooner (vs. letting foot off throttle) when the revs are low enough.

I think it sounds amazing when I rev it to ~5k and let off the throttle - lots of pops and cracks.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by black340 View Post
Hi! I just bought a 2016 m2 equipped with an m performance exhaust. I recently had a 340i also equipped with the m performance exhaust. My question now is, why does the m2 pop and bang much less than the 340 b58 engine? I admit that the m2 has a much nicer engine tone, but from my previous ownership I got quite addicted to these funny pops and bangs. Especially when I pushed second gear to 5,5k rpm and released the throttle for some really nice gunshots! I just wonder why the m2 dont want to do the same. Thanks!
It's how the motor is tuned. Just get bootmod3 and it'll pop more than the 340i did. I too had a B58 with a full exhaust and miss the pops and bangs.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 03:12 AM   #8
aftercompletion
Break My Window
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

M2 with MPE doesn't have enough burble for you? Hard to believe... most people on here would say it's actually close to being too much.
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      05-11-2019, 03:58 AM   #9
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercompletion View Post
M2 with MPE doesn't have enough burble for you? Hard to believe... most people on here would say it's actually close to being too much.
Im just comparing it to my previous 340i with an MPE. Maybe its a better isolation in the M2 and the burbles sounds much louder from the outside but while driving the car I feel like there was definetly more burbles in the 340i. I am getting a bm3 tune once I install my downpipe to get some funny sounding gunshots. One thing that I do wonder is why the 340i with MPE would do very aggressive gunshots when pushing a gear to 6krpm and releasing the throttle but the M2 pretty much has none of this effect? Valves are open and sportmode/sport+ is on...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 04:15 AM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

M2 doesn't crackle above 4k5 rpm or above 80kph(50mph), programmed by factory.

M2 has more burbles than any B58 variants that's out.

OP could be under the wrong impression or there is something else in your car that you're unaware.
      05-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldM2 View Post
Im just comparing it to my previous 340i with an MPE. Maybe its a better isolation in the M2 and the burbles sounds much louder from the outside but while driving the car I feel like there was definetly more burbles in the 340i. I am getting a bm3 tune once I install my downpipe to get some funny sounding gunshots. One thing that I do wonder is why the 340i with MPE would do very aggressive gunshots when pushing a gear to 6krpm and releasing the throttle but the M2 pretty much has none of this effect? Valves are open and sportmode/sport+ is on...
What mode do you drive in the m2?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Sport/sport+😂😂
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 01:16 AM   #13
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Can someone explain to me how the exhaust key really works? Does the valves close automatically everytime I shut the car of? Can I open the valves before I start the car? Is it only on/off(open/close) modes with the exhaust key? I have felt some more pops once Ive actually tried to listen to it and sometimes it even suprises with some louder and funnier pops that catches me off guard . To be honest I can't tell much of a difference if the exhaust is open or closed while Im on the highway. Im eager to found out how it will sound once I install my CL downpipe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #14
aftercompletion
Break My Window
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldM2 View Post
Can someone explain to me how the exhaust key really works? Does the valves close automatically everytime I shut the car of? Can I open the valves before I start the car? Is it only on/off(open/close) modes with the exhaust key? I have felt some more pops once Ive actually tried to listen to it and sometimes it even suprises with some louder and funnier pops that catches me off guard . To be honest I can't tell much of a difference if the exhaust is open or closed while Im on the highway. Im eager to found out how it will sound once I install my CL downpipe

Valves close automatically when the car is shut off. You can hear them from drivers seat closing. You can open them before you start the car ignition. It's only open/close.

It's suspect to me that you can't actually tell the difference between valves open/shut which makes me suspect that your MPE isn't switched on in the trunk. You should go in under the baseboard in your trunk and make sure your MPE is actually switched on (there's a permanent on/off switch that enables the bluetooth valve functionality).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #15
coldM2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercompletion View Post
Valves close automatically when the car is shut off. You can hear them from drivers seat closing. You can open them before you start the car ignition. It's only open/close.

It's suspect to me that you can't actually tell the difference between valves open/shut which makes me suspect that your MPE isn't switched on in the trunk. You should go in under the baseboard in your trunk and make sure your MPE is actually switched on (there's a permanent on/off switch that enables the bluetooth valve functionality).
It does open/close the valves and there is a difference in pops so I would like to take that back In highway speed theres not really a big difference between open and close though and the noise from the highway/car is so loud inside the cabin...
Appreciate 0