BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BM3 Agent Device - OBD/WiFi

04-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

BM3 Agent Device - OBD/WiFi

Anyone know the difference bn the new ones that PTF sells and the $90 versions on eBay?

Any hardware version or software update ability differences?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Anyone know the difference bn the new ones that PTF sells and the $90 versions on eBay?

Any hardware version or software update ability differences?
should be the same. you can make your own for $50
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      04-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I haven’t used one of these before, but am planning to keep one in the console while at the track to take logs.

Does the agent update automatically when the app is launched?
Does your phone still have a connection to the internet via cellular when it’s connected via WiFi to this agent?
Do these have enough storage to keep several hours worth of offline logs, or are the logs saved on your phone?

Thanks.

Last edited by ZM2; 04-06-2019 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I haven't used one of these before, but am planning to keep one in the console while at the track to take logs.

Does your phone still have a connection to the internet via cellular when it's connected via WiFi to this agent?
Do these have enough storage to keep several hours worth of offline logs, or are the logs saved on your phone?

Thanks.
I'm not sure how the storage works exactly as far as what goes where. I suspect it stores it in your phone in the app. I believe that everything works both online and offline, even flashing a tune of you saved the tune to your phone.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      04-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Cool, will give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
I haven’t used one of these before, but am planning to keep one in the console while at the track to take logs.

Does your phone still have a connection to the internet via cellular when it’s connected via WiFi to this agent?

Thanks.
My understanding is that it's just a device that transmits OBD2 data over wifi to your phone, it doesn't have any bm3 funtions in itself. The same way the enet cable just transfers OBD2 data over its cable.

1- With that in mind, it doesn't need to get updated. However, the app can get updates, and when there are updates to the app, it will automatically update via the google play store or the apple store on your phone, just like how all other apps are updated.

2- I believe so, but I'm not positive. I'm going off of the fact that it has to download maps, so there must be some internet connectivity somewhere.

3- I haven't used the obd wifi agent, but I just checked my laptop and the maps and logs are stored on it. So it seems to me these are stored on your phone.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      04-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

So, I got this up and running.

Pretty nice being able to use your phone as a gauge cluster while you drive! I have ambient temp, IAT, coolant & oil temps, boost actual & target psi, HPFP psi, and knock detected all showing while I’m driving down the road.

Seeing the real-time difference in ambient temp & IAT really helps to get a feel for which situations are driving IATs up and down. And, I can confirm like others have said that putting the car into Traction/MDM runs the Comfort mode cooling program, vs Sport/Sport+/DSC Off more aggressive cooling mode, which is stupid!

I haven’t tried logs or needed to update the agent, yet; will get to that. To clarify the internet question, the agent connects to your phone WiFi hotspot, just like if you were connecting your laptop to the internet while logging, so it doesn’t impact things like Waze, Spotify, email, etc.

I also changed the gauges to blue from red, and set high limit alarms for IAT, coolant, oil temps, so we’ll see what that does to catch my attention when it happens.

Last edited by ZM2; 04-14-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 2
M2guru383.50
akkando5863.00
      04-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
So, I got this up and running.

Pretty nice being able to use your phone as a gauge cluster while you drive! I have ambient temp, IAT, coolant & oil temps, boost actual & target psi, HPFP psi, and knock detected all showing while I'm driving down the road.

Seeing the real-time difference in ambient temp & IAT really helps to get a feel for which situations are driving IATs up and down. And, I can confirm like others have said that putting the car into Traction/MDM runs the Comfort mode cooling program, vs Sport/Sport+/DSC Off more aggressive cooling mode, which is stupid!

I haven't tried logs or needed to update the agent, yet; will get to that. To clarify the internet question, the agent connects to your phone WiFi hotspot, just like if you were connecting your laptop to the internet while logging, so it doesn't impact things like Waze, Spotify, email, etc.

I also changed the gauges to blue from red, and set high limit alarms for IAT, coolant, oil temps, so we'll see what that does to catch my attention when it happens.
Would you mind to share the ordering link?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #9
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Would you mind to share the ordering link?
There’s a few sellers on eBay. Just search for “bootmod3 WiFi” and several will pop up.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #10
ferdee9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Ebay agent

Just ordered a wifi agent from Ebay. Worked without a problem. Botmod3 app updated agent, then I was able to flash to 5.7. Well worth $90...I believe both Ebay sellers are the same person.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      04-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdee9 View Post
Just ordered a wifi agent from Ebay. Worked without a problem. Botmod3 app updated agent, then I was able to flash to 5.7. Well worth $90...I believe both Ebay sellers are the same person.
I did the agent update this morning, as well. Took all of 30 seconds. Pretty sweet!
Appreciate 0