BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Bob Lutz chimes in on the Automotive Enthusiasts vs. BMW debate

07-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #111
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
The new stuff is "better" in almost every objective way, correct. It is the subjective things people have varying views on. Many don't want their sporty cars to be more comfortable, as an example. For you, you like that. For others, they don't. It's the subjective things people will debate as to whether BMW is building "better" cars or not. I tend to agree with you... I like the newer cars more. Having said that, I like my M2 the most because it's kind of a blend between new generation features/performance with a bit more of the older school size/feel.
M2 is great. I've looked at getting one recently. I think one of the big turnoffs with the e46 especially now is owners. They've become so cheap any idiot can go buy one now. It's impossible to find a nice car anymore, they're all just beat up and slammed. The owners I've encountered tend to be douches as well.

oh well, just my perception.
      07-29-2016, 09:47 PM   #112
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

[QUOTE=Obioban;20325493]I completely agree with Lutz here. In 2001, I wanted every product in BMW lineup. Today, they don't make a single thing I desire to own in the slightest. My last 7 cars were M cars, multiple of which were purchased new. Everything that brought me to the brand originally is thoroughly and completely dead and gone.

Yeah, when he was a driving force in the formation of the M division, or when he helped create the 3 series, or the Viper, or any of a multitude of the best cars of the last 40 years... stodgy and unimaginative.

Totally Agree - from a former Viper owner and current 1M owner- Lutz is the real deal.
The only car in BMW's lineup that appeals to me is the M2 and I could buy any of their cars including the GTS. ///M=Marketing
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #113
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
[QUOTE=BMW Gator;20334957]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I completely agree with Lutz here. In 2001, I wanted every product in BMW lineup. Today, they don't make a single thing I desire to own in the slightest. My last 7 cars were M cars, multiple of which were purchased new. Everything that brought me to the brand originally is thoroughly and completely dead and gone.

Yeah, when he was a driving force in the formation of the M division, or when he helped create the 3 series, or the Viper, or any of a multitude of the best cars of the last 40 years... stodgy and unimaginative.

Totally Agree - from a former Viper owner and current 1M owner- Lutz is the real deal.
The only car in BMW's lineup that appeals to me is the M2 and I could buy any of their cars including the GTS. ///M=Marketing
I was a BMW fan when it's market demographic was buyers considering Porsche, but who needed the practicality of more room and four doors. There were no alternatives save BMW to Porsche available for sale back then. I ended up buying the Porsche, but many of my friends owned the 2002tii and early 3-ers, and M cars.

Those BMWs, which Lutz was influential in bringing to market, were sports cars with an extra seat, had agile handling, were quick without being brutally fast, well-built, elegant and athletic in appearance, and were NOT purchased for social status because you only knew about BMW if you were a car guy or lady.

Porsche seems to have evolved with the times, rising to the challenge of a changing market, technology, and regulatory climate. Porsche still engineers some of the most respected sports cars on the planet. BMW? Sort of luxury, sort of faux sporty, sort of... what?
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #114
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

[QUOTE=tetsuo111;20335945]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Gator View Post

Porsche seems to have evolved with the times, rising to the challenge of a changing market, technology, and regulatory climate. Porsche still engineers some of the most respected sports cars on the planet. BMW? Sort of luxury, sort of faux sporty, sort of... what?
Porsche builds and markets fine cars. So does BMW. Porsche has chosen to be a niche, high-end, high-performance player with price points to match. BMW has chosen to become a high volume player of nice cars for a different market.

These two companies simply evolved in a different direction. If you are going to blame BMW for not being the company they used to be, you should complain that they are building cars at all. After all, they build airplane engines and motorcycles.

Porsche gets it's kilo of flesh from the high volume market through its ownership position in VW Group. Porsche has chosen to keep the brand focused on sports vehicles. BMW does not have several brands under its umbrella through which to sell lower price point, lower performance, higher volume vehicles.

If BMW wanted to create an ultra performance brand with Porsche price points, I'm guessing they could do it and their cars would sell. They've chosen not to do that. They just sell boatloads (literally) of really nice cars that do really well in the market in which they have chosen to play.

Those who don't like the current BMW products have a lot of choices. They can keep their older previous gen cars until the wheels fall off or they can go buy something else. Don't wait for BMW to come to its senses. They know exactly what they are doing.
Appreciate 1
gthal1901.00
      07-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #115
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
[QUOTE=sygazelle]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Gator View Post

Porsche builds and markets fine cars. So does BMW. Porsche has chosen to be a niche, high-end, high-performance player with price points to match. BMW has chosen to become a high volume player of nice cars for a different market.

These two companies simply evolved in a different direction. If you are going to blame BMW for not being the company they used to be, you should complain that they are building cars at all. After all, they build airplane engines and motorcycles.

Porsche gets it's kilo of flesh from the high volume market through its ownership position in VW Group. Porsche has chosen to keep the brand focused on sports vehicles. BMW does not have several brands under its umbrella through which to sell lower price point, lower performance, higher volume vehicles.

If BMW wanted to create an ultra performance brand with Porsche price points, I'm guessing they could do it and their cars would sell. They've chosen not to do that. They just sell boatloads (literally) of really nice cars that do really well in the market in which they have chosen to play.

Those who don't like the current BMW products have a lot of choices. They can keep their older previous gen cars until the wheels fall off or they can go buy something else. Don't wait for BMW to come to its senses. They know exactly what they are doing.
It sounds like we both agree with Lutz.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #116
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post

Those BMWs, which Lutz was influential in bringing to market, were sports cars with an extra seat, had agile handling, were quick without being brutally fast, well-built, elegant and athletic in appearance, and were NOT purchased for social status because you only knew about BMW if you were a car guy or lady.

Couple of comments...

1. BMW still builds cars like you describe... agile, athletic, etc. I can name several.

2. If you think the majority of Porsche buyers aren't buying for the badge status then you are nuts Porsche is also now building 4 cylinder turbos which are not getting universal praise like previous generation cars. They are buildings SUV's... yes, nice ones but that is clearly a move to the mass market. Porsche isn't perfect either. The still build some amazing cars (and arguably the widest range of awesomeness) and they also charge a huge premium for those cars which is why they can do it... partly because some enthusiasts who value the experience are willing to pay the price but largely to affluent buyers (doctors, lawyers, business owners, etc) who just love the idea of owning a Porsche. Social status buying at its best. Talk to a Porsche dealer who is honest and they will tell you the SUV's elevated the company because they became the volume purchase and allowed the company to achieve better economies of scale. Porsche will evolve more and more into the mass market too over time...
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 07-30-2016 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11091.00
      08-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #117
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I think Bob was at least 5 years late in pointing this out.
IMO, this simply isn't news.

I think that as BMW becomes more mainstream, it will be hard for them to demand a price premium that they have in the past.
That's how I feel about replacing my 2x BMWs. Its not clear to me that the BMW offers the most attractive products anymore.
Appreciate 0