BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Full iDrive control of old Apple iPhone with: USB Port or BT?

07-05-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Full iDrive control of old Apple iPhone with: USB Port or BT?

Hi folks

Can anyone confirm that there is full control with an Apple iPhone with the iDrive through USB port or BT?

I put a deposit on the car, but did not get the full ZTV Smartphone Connectivity Package as I use an Android phone. However, I have an old iPhone that I use as a music player that I will most likely keep in the car for music.

Can anyone tell me if I will have full control of the iPhone without this package? Meaning, I'll be able to see track names and album covers and such?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Which model iPhone?

Apple deprecates support for older products on a rolling basis -- ergo, BMW does, too. For iDrive 4.0, those of us on 2Addicts have found that iPhones and iPods that use the old 30-pin connector are hit-and-miss when it comes to integration with iDrive. If the peripheral was the last version with that connector, it probably works. Older than that? Dicey.

Thing is, you're getting iDrive 5.0 -- which almost no one has yet. So you're going to have to wait to find out, I'm afraid, unless there's a 2016 7 Series owner who can chime in ...
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

it's an iPhone 4s
thanks for info guess I'll see when I get my car
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

The song control and info w/o album art should work with even an iphone 3g over bluetooth. I believe the album art transmission is a BMW APP only thing though.
Appreciate 0