BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Sound deadening

02-22-2016, 03:00 AM   #23
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
It's not really a sports car though. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's 3500 pounds. It's got power everything and it's a little piggy. It might as well be quiet on the freeway. All the M in the world can't overcome physics.
I've seen some pictures on the net of 458/991 GT3 etc on the scales and they weigh almost or 3500lbs as well. I was a bit 'shocked' because then that wouldn't be sportscars either.

Porsche 918...

Don't get me wrong, M2 is a sporty coupé a compromise, the definition of a sportscar in general is a bit difficult to explain. And I think there are 100 of personal definitions. Mine starting with rwd + lsd >300BHP and ending with minimally 6 cylinders under the bonnet

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
///M TOWN13117.00
      02-22-2016, 05:11 AM   #24
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Hey they already have what you want. Its called an M235i.
Meh. The M2 is cheaper.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2016, 05:47 AM   #25
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura
This is starting to sound like a Lexus forum. First people want a sunroof. Then people are worried about the car being too loud. If you are worried buy a non m car or better yet a Lexus!
What Lexus for $51K has an S or N-with-S-parts engine? Which Lexus for $51K has 365HP and tons of low-end torque? Forgetting price --- which Lexus is the size of the M2? So telling people "go to Lexus" helps nothing.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #26
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410
To those hairy chested types that want as many decibels as possible in their visceral driving experience.. umm.. that's nice. Rather than trying to diminish what others want, just roll down the windows. Or see if there is a hack later to turn up the fake noise from the stereo..it was put there for you.

For those of us that want a quiet daily driver to enjoy Bach on the way to the office with minimal mechanical intrusion, tire of a loud drone cruising at 80mph for hours on end, and/or would like to carry on a conversation with someone while driving, I really do get it. Removing sound deadening is either a misguided candidate for weight loss or a cheap trick to make a car seem more sporting.

Thing is, very few of the reviews I saw even noted the sound level relative to highway driving. Possibly, as a demographic, they were all hairy chested too but I'm hoping the sound level will be tolerable. I mean, it would have taken line spaces away from oddly rabid rants about the rev match but I still think it would have been mentioned if it were really awful. In any case, if it is too loud for a car designed to somewhat evenly split track duties with more mundane pursuits, there is nothing we can do. At this point the alternatives fade and we'll just have to take the M2 for what it is.
I saw the reviews as 50/50 on the road test regarding sound and comfort being an issue. They all loved the manual. They all commented on the firm ride and tire noise on the street test. Some said the ride was too firm and they could hear the tires. Some said the ride was firm but they overlooked it because they loved the manual transmission so much. Others said the ride was firm and had no problem with it and appreciated the suspension quickly "absorbing" the bumps.
Appreciate 3
randyt224.50
      02-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #27
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle View Post
You're probably going to have to wait for someone to cross reference the sound insulation parts diagrams between the M2 and 228i/M235i.
This is what I will do. Let me start looking at the diagrams and see what I can find. I know there is a big chunk of foam in top the trunk(not actual trunk lid). If anyone else sees any please let me know. To the noise likers out there, I love a good sounding exhaust and the man noise cars produce, but droning on the expressway listening to road noise is a s fun as a BJ with teeth. I wont even start on the ARTIFICIAL noise being pumped in the cabin. If your going to pump Artificial sound into the cabin, I think you can make it a little louder and compensate for the sound deadening....or how about a knob for volume control on the motor thru radio sound?????
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #28
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post
I saw the reviews as 50/50 on the road test regarding sound and comfort being an issue. They all loved the manual. They all commented on the firm ride and tire noise on the street test. Some said the ride was too firm and they could hear the tires. Some said the ride was firm but they overlooked it because they loved the manual transmission so much. Others said the ride was firm and had no problem with it and appreciated the suspension quickly "absorbing" the bumps.
Yes, it really seemed to vary from one to another. I guess it's just so subjective that everyone needs to form their own opinion. The problem is that we aren't able to do that and need to order cars at this point in order to get one early in the year.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 05:02 AM   #29
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
To those hairy chested types that want as many decibels as possible in their visceral driving experience.. umm.. that's nice. Rather than trying to diminish what others want, just roll down the windows. Or see if there is a hack later to turn up the fake noise from the stereo..it was put there for you.

For those of us that want a quiet daily driver to enjoy Bach on the way to the office with minimal mechanical intrusion, tire of a loud drone cruising at 80mph for hours on end, and/or would like to carry on a conversation with someone while driving, I really do get it. Removing sound deadening is either a misguided candidate for weight loss or a cheap trick to make a car seem more sporting.

Thing is, very few of the reviews I saw even noted the sound level relative to highway driving. Possibly, as a demographic, they were all hairy chested too but I'm hoping the sound level will be tolerable. I mean, it would have taken line spaces away from oddly rabid rants about the rev match but I still think it would have been mentioned if it were really awful. In any case, if it is too loud for a car designed to somewhat evenly split track duties with more mundane pursuits, there is nothing we can do. At this point the alternatives fade and we'll just have to take the M2 for what it is.
If you plan on 'listening to Bach on the way to the office,' you want a 7 series. Seriously. I've yet to drive an M (granted, I have only been in the E30, E36 and E46) that would permit anyone to listen to Bach (or anything else) at less than ear splitting volume and expect to hear any detail over the Mahlerian symphonic background of road, engine and exhaust music. I mean really. The Well Tempered Clavier just won't cut through it, with or without 'sound deadening' stuffed in the door panels and glued under the hood.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 05:05 AM   #30
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
OK, to split hairs, the M2 is a sport-y daily driver. Which is what M cars have always been. But I agree on the seats, we should have the option for manuals. How often do people adjust their damn seats?!

Does active sound actually increase weight? The speakers are already there. Maybe there's a tiny extra microphone in the engine bay.
Is there a simple way to disable the artificial piped in engine nonsense, without also disabling the entire sound system?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 05:54 AM   #31
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambolle View Post
Is there a simple way to disable the artificial piped in engine nonsense, without also disabling the entire sound system?
Yes, take the fuse out or code it out. Although I have heard that coding it out only mutes the ASD.
      02-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #32
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
This is starting to sound like a Lexus forum. First people want a sunroof. Then people are worried about the car being too loud. If you are worried buy a non m car or better yet a Lexus!
HAHAH god-dammit my seat heating only has 3 stages of control, you call this a CAR!!
      02-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #33
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of "daily drivers" out there that have far less sound damping material than an M2 and those owners seem to get to work just fine without their ears bleeding every morning. Ever ridden in a Honda Fit? You'd swear the doors were made of aluminum foil.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #34
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

...Or a Mini, for that matter. Worst in the world.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #35
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris10Bimmers View Post
HAHAH god-dammit my seat heating only has 3 stages of control, you call this a CAR!!
Spit my coffee up over that one.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #36
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
This thread is amusing. I do believe that in this type of car, you are supposed to hear the world around you. I get what some are saying... they want more of a sport luxury car. The problem is that you cannot really make a car to fit every niche. It is simply not what the M has stood for. You want something different than they want to make. Porsche does this well, and people bitch. They offer a fairly stripper car, then charge $147,391 in extras to add things that come standard in many other cars. The M is a compromise between true race/sport and true road/luxury - it always has been. Where on that spectrum of compromise is up for debate, but that it IS, in fact, a compromise, really is not.

Edit: It was why the CSL was so beloved - it was a far less compromised sports car.

Last edited by jtodd_fl; 02-23-2016 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #37
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep

While folks are diligently defining for all of us what an M car is, remember that when it comes to sound deadening impacts, what imaginative individuals envision is good engine sound while in reality it will be the unpleasant drone of tire noise. Probably why they pipe in sound.

As for Bach.. I will do my focused listening in places other than cars. However, I do care about the upgraded stereo and I do hope to occasionally listen to music.. or converse.. or think. Some may wish they had pushed the car farther in the direction of track while others, like me, appreciate the compromises going farther in the direction of daily driver. Most of these cars will never see a track but hopefully many will see canyons and almost all will see a commute.

BTW.. neither the 911 S nor a Cayman R is louder than an M3 while the 1M was notably louder than all of them (http://www.auto-decibel-db.com/). Hope they keep it at the M3 levels or less.

Last edited by Spook410; 02-23-2016 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #38
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
While folks are diligently defining for all of us what an M car is, remember that when it comes to sound deadening impacts, what imaginative individuals envision is good engine sound while in reality it will be the unpleasant drone of tire noise. Probably why they pipe in sound.

As for Bach.. I will do my focused listening in places other than cars. However, I do care about the upgraded stereo and I do hope to occasionally listen to music.. or converse.. or think. Some may wish they had pushed the car farther in the direction of track while others, like me, appreciate the compromises going farther in the direction of daily driver. Most of these cars will never see a track but hopefully many will see canyons and almost all will see a commute.

BTW.. neither the 911 S nor a Cayman R is louder than an M3 while the 1M was notably louder than all of them (http://www.auto-decibel-db.com/). Hope they keep it at the M3 levels or less.
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...rbmwm22016.pdf

72 decibels cruising at 70. This is 5 over the M235.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #39
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...rbmwm22016.pdf

72 decibels cruising at 70. This is 5 over the M235.
The 1M was 71.6! Yes!!!! The M2 is loader inside than the other 1M. I love it! I was able to get my 1M out for a drive today since it was nice out and was thinking about how much I was going to miss the loud ass drone at cruising speed...I guess I wont!
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #40
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

When starting out reading this thread, i thought is was a poor trolling attempt, but i guess it's not. I have to say i'm just embarrassed for those of you that want to put sound deadening BACK into a car whose purpose it to deliver a sensory experience. What the hell!

M is for motorsport!
      02-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #41
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
The 1M was 71.6! Yes!!!! The M2 is loader inside than the other 1M. I love it! I was able to get my 1M out for a drive today since it was nice out and was thinking about how much I was going to miss the loud ass drone at cruising speed...I guess I wont!
You'll get that drone. Is it a high pitch drone or a deep low drone?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #42
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well some of you get your wish. 72db at 70mph put's the M2 right there with favorites like the V6 Ford Mustang and Fiat 500 Abarth. Very, very few cars on the market are that loud. It may make the car unsuitable as a daily driver for many of us. Certainly a poor choice for anything stretching into hours. The response to this news reminds me of the Consumer Reports reviews of Cadillacs in the 80's: They were the worst in build quality and reliability (for the analogy challenged, noise would be the analog here) and yet had top flight 'customer satisfaction'. Geezers loved their caddies. I'm sure those who can apply youthful exuberance to overlook what I consider a glaring flaw will be very happy with this car. As for me.. back to looking a base Cayman's.

Note: safe operating threshold on Space Station is 70db

Last edited by Spook410; 02-23-2016 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
admranger2981.50
      02-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #43
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
When starting out reading this thread, i thought is was a poor trolling attempt, but i guess it's not.
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #44
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald
and
"One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless about having a soft M car and yet be determined to make it a toyota avalon."