BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > People trashing the reliability of BMW vehicles

01-31-2016, 03:50 PM   #177
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Ill agree with you on that ^^^

You are referring to Hondas like this :

And Im talking about Hondas like this :

You couldnt be more far from wrong on the engine stuff, K's will make 275WHP NA reliably all day... But I get what your saying you are not going to get 0-60 in 4 seconds.. And Hondas are not BMW's we were primarily talking about tech, performance and reliability...

My 2.0liter Turbo Sentra runs 15lbs of boost 12 sec 1/4 all day and its just as reliable as it was when it was stock... I dont break water pumps, fuel injectors etc ever and its 20 years old.

We were talking mostly about power and tech, Trust me I know a BMW is nicer than a Honda but thats no excuse for the problems..

Replace Honda with Mitsubish EVO they are 2.0 Turbo, Newer and do not have these issues and their 2.0t is faster than our 3.0T.

Anyhow I didnt want this to turn into a brand pissing match is just some of the fanboy comments in this thread just show how un-informed some people
are with engines and cars in general.. Go spend a few days at a road course or drag strip maybe SEMA... You would be suprised our BMW's use the same
kinda parts and tech that a ton of current cars use.. Fit / Finish / Handling and design is where they pull away big time, But engine tech is not much diff than the rest.

This thread is pretty much wrapped up we all get it, But in the end we love our cars... Ill give up a little relability even if its " NOT EXCUSABLE " its what we have to deal with.
These cars drive like no other and have soul, Im gonna go out for a cruise now with my son, Its 60 in NJ and sunny.. Hes only 4 but says " Lets take the BMW out
Yes, and they also use more fuel as well.

Again, the thing about japanese cars is, they can make a nice reliable vehicle, or a performance vehicle, but SOMETHING has to be sacrificed, in this case, it's the fuel mileage.

For german vehicles, it's the same exact thing, to get the most performance and fuel mileage as it's a daily, reliability is not all there.

Which is why I'm saying for the honda engine, I'm talking stock vs stock, no mods, no tunes, exactly as it comes from the factory. It makes about 230-250WHP (not all engines are the same) tuning/mods/engine work is a different story.

I much prefer to own a japanese vehicle as I don't have to worry about when my water pump is going to go, or what sensor is broken, but you gotta pay to play. Which is why you have the odd % of people who own a german vehicle is because they can afford it, and they love the cars they drive.

When you look at those who have hondas and build them, it's because they cannot afford a german vehicle so they like to shit on those who have one and say "built not bought" bullshit. I'm sure if they had the money, they would not have a honda.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 09:04 PM   #178
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330
No surprise there. It's an E92, and am gonna go out on a limb and guess it's a 2007-2009 model? Yeah well known already. Had every one of those issues on mine too and that was before I even clocked 20K miles on it. Add replace waste gates and turbos to the list. It was first two years I owned it and all under warranty.

Here is the distinctions this car has:
It's my 5th BMW and only one with this many problems.
Currently 56K miles and trouble free since about 30K miles and 3rd year I owned it.
I'll also say it's bullet proof now but boy what a total pos it was in the first year!
Only other BMW that troubled me was e46 330ci with two failed transmissions.
Owned all last 5 models of the 3 series and love my e92 335 so much I can seem to let it go. would I buy a used one from someone? No. But I believe all the issues are now addressed by BMW.

I will say this, it's a car, and any make can have issues. Look I had a $120K 2014 Range Rover supercharged that land rover had to buy back because of endless problems. Most of them suspension! 22 dealer visits in 6500 miles in the first 10 months of untold stress, I returned the junk to them said I refuse to drive the pos truck, I refuse to have them repair it one more time. I only want my money back or a replacement or I will lemon the damn thing and walk away from the brand forever. but I knew the labs rover reputation going in, too bad that example turned out to be worse than worst imaginations of how bad a car could be.

Now I have a replacement 2015 Range Rover. Not a single reliability issue. It is solid as it can ever get, and it's blissful vehicle to own. Can't even comprehend how they'd have come off the same line. Build quality is way better, it drives way better too and I dare say this is my best vehicle yet. And that is some tall order. It has met and exceeded all my expectations and I look forward to many years of ownership.

I have owned Toyotas too going back to 1991 and my last one sold in 2012. I have never had a single problem with any of them, but let's face it, they are boooring!

All am saying is BMW is ok and while not the most reliable brand, it's specific models and years that have known issues, not all of them. Majority are as reliable as something from your most reliable brand such as Toyota. Don't judge the whole brand based on just your expirience with one of their cars.
Ummm nah buddy, I got a 2010 335i supposedly the model with all the revised parts. It's a BMW man. We love our cars but don't be a fanboy and claim how reliable your BMW is. You are one person. Look at this forum for gods sake. If you knew BMW you would know how shitty reliable it is compared to a Toyota. It's not bashing it's common sense. Let me know when you have to replace the waterpump or the valve cover gasket on a corrola. Won't happen. Lol

And don't turn this into how boring a Toyota is compared to a BMW. No duh. Toyota ain't made for that.

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 11:01 PM   #179
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er View Post
Ummm nah buddy, I got a 2010 335i supposedly the model with all the revised parts. It's a BMW man. We love our cars but don't be a fanboy and claim how reliable your BMW is. You are one person. Look at this forum for gods sake. If you knew BMW you would know how shitty reliable it is compared to a Toyota. It's not bashing it's common sense. Let me know when you have to replace the waterpump or the valve cover gasket on a corrola. Won't happen. Lol

And don't turn this into how boring a Toyota is compared to a BMW. No duh. Toyota ain't made for that.
^

It's like saying "I buy a Bugatti for the fuel economy"

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #180
mcwinste
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xdrive

I own an 09 328i, have driven it 117,000 miles, and it's by far the most reliable vehicle I've owned. Better even than my wife's Subaru Impreza, which needed a starter, timing belt, water pump, two wheel bearings, oxygen sensors and exhaust components by that mileage.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #181
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Crucial question:

Ofc can't compare the reliability of a BMW vs a Japanese econobox...that's just not being realistic. Ours is relatively higher-performance and the parts should wear out faster. However, that doesn't excuse parts that shouldn't wear out so prematurely regardless of car type. That being said, for those that have their (BMW typical prb areas) parts replaced (e.g. fuel injectors, hpfp, lpfp, various gaskets, valve covers, etc etc etc), does that usu mean the parts are NOW good or still subject to the same ridiculously short lifespan?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #182
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Crucial question:

Ofc can't compare the reliability of a BMW vs a Japanese econobox...that's just not being realistic. Ours is relatively higher-performance and the parts should wear out faster.
Thats just it though... Why cant you?
  • WRX 2.0 DOHC / Direct Injection / 268HP
  • 328i 2.0 DOHC / Direct Injection / 240HP ( Underrated prob more like 260 )
  • MS3 2.3 DOHC / Direct Injection / 263HP

So how is the econobox really any different? Remember we are talking sensors, valve cover gaskets , injectors.. The things that break and nickel and dime us.

Quote:

However, that doesn't excuse parts that shouldn't wear out so prematurely regardless of car type. That being said, for those that have their (BMW typical prb areas) parts replaced (e.g. fuel injectors, hpfp, lpfp, various gaskets, valve covers, etc etc etc), does that usu mean the parts are NOW good or still subject to the same ridiculously short lifespan?
Agreed 100% ^^

I / We know the BMW chassis is amazing and the motor/transmission isnt going to fail its the small things that the whole reliability topic is on, All the small things that add up.
The chassis / fit & finish / Leather / interior etc is better but were purely talking mechanical and reliability.

Improve some of the little things and these cars would be perfect, Its obvious I love the car enough to deal with the gremlins... The smile it brings is worth it Just wish they could iron em out already.

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 02-06-2016 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #183
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
That being said, for those that have their (BMW typical prb areas) parts replaced (e.g. fuel injectors, hpfp, lpfp, various gaskets, valve covers, etc etc etc), does that usu mean the parts are NOW good or still subject to the same ridiculously short lifespan?
Why would that be? We all know that for the first few years, early x35i owners replaced HPFPs over and over again. The auto-dimming rear view mirror on my E39 M5 leaked highly corrosive fluid twice. The rear swaybar brackets would always break and ultimately had to be replaced with a different part.

Much of the stuff that failed from 66k to 95k in my case is not high-performance stuff. Weatherstripping cracking. Underhood plastics literally crumbling apart. Door locks sticking. Odometer pixels going out (happens to 100% of them). Thermostat no longer working right. None of these things would strand you, but added up they get annoying and expensive for such a "nice car," and they are things you don't even consider having to replace on a car costing 1/4 as much new.

There are plenty that would cause major problems if not preventatively replaced, though. Fan clutch, fuel pump, etc. all before 100k. All added up, it's these constant issues that led me to sell once I realized I would need to depend on a 4-door car for actual daily use pretty soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #184
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Why would that be? We all know that for the first few years, early x35i owners replaced HPFPs over and over again.
Sure, the hpfp issue was repeated during the early stages of the N54 but I assume that this has finally been laid to rest and is no longer a prb. I'm just curious if that and other parts *once replaced* no longer have such short lifespans.
Appreciate 0