BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > [Updated w/ Q&A] BMW M2 M Performance Parts announced. World debut comes at Detroit

11-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #221
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAV13 View Post
Steering wheel
Are the gauges silver/grey or was that a flash reflection? Different from the M235?
Yes silver grey as all the other M's however the flash definitely made them look much brighter.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #222
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
There is no plan for seats at this time. They only sold about 30 sets a year of the previous seats so there is no interest in producing seats.

Maybe once performance parts start selling with decent volume the seats will be revisited but at this time the answer from BMW was no seats.

I spent quite a bit of time asking numerous questions and probing. Got some interesting tid bits.
They would sell more if they offered them as an option from the factory and the price would just be the difference between the performance seats and standard seats maybe with a little extra on top. They would end up being a little cheaper that way. They would also sell more if they offered them in the states.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #223
trebled
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i & BMW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosino View Post
What I dont get is why they would need to offer some aftermarket suspension when an M-car is already supposed to have an upgraded state of the art suspension.. ?? And I suspect it's going to cost as much if not more than a Ohlin set-up.. and we all know which one is the better quality in the real world
Actually, this has made me have a think. Remember that in the old days - late eighties, early nineties the E30 M3 was produced to enable BMW to take the M3 racing in Production Saloons/Group N/Group A. And boy, did it clean up as we all know.

A really pertinent example was my foray into Firestone/Uniroyal prod saloons. I bought a low mileage road registered 1990 E30 M3 with NO sunroof, NO aircon, etc. It had a cage put in to it, other safety items, a race seat, an open exhaust and that M division product finished third in its first race and went on to win some races running on Michelin treaded road tyres shaved down to 3mm.

Different times, different approach ! BMW designed the car for racing from the drawing board.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #224
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
There is no plan for seats at this time. They only sold about 30 sets a year of the previous seats so there is no interest in producing seats.
Maybe once performance parts start selling with decent volume the seats will be revisited but at this time the answer from BMW was no seats.
I spent quite a bit of time asking numerous questions and probing. Got some interesting tid bits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
They would sell more if they offered them as an option from the factory and the price would just be the difference between the performance seats and standard seats maybe with a little extra on top. They would end up being a little cheaper that way. They would also sell more if they offered them in the states.
Here's what BMW reps commented at SEMA earlier this week:
  • Q: Will M Performance seats be available for the M2 ?
  • A: We have no plans. In general, from the feedback on the market, we would only sell a few. The customer is better off going and buying Recaro, especially if they’re moving safety systems, like seatbelts.
      11-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #225
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The BMW approach:
  • you pay us full price for the car
  • you want that particular performance part ?
    1. you pay us extra
    2. your dealer is prepared to fit the performance part and you pay for that service
    3. you can keep the OEM BMW stock part (you paid for it, you can retrofit it onto your car or sell it)
The Porsche approach:
  • you pay us full price for the car
  • you want that particular performance part ?
    1. you pay us extra
    2. we fit the performance part at the factory
    3. we keep the OEM Porsche stock part at our factory (thank you for the donation, we will gladly install it onto another Porsche car with the customer paying us full price)
Not if you ask for it back.
      11-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #226
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
"And it completely makes sense due to Detroit being such a huge market for BMW's."

Do I detect sarcasm?

75% of the time, when I pull up to a 4 way stop, there are 3 other BMWs along with me.
California does have the 8th largest economy in the world and we seem to prefer BMW products....

Plus, I'm just tired of waiting.

Show it in LA and kick up the US release to early March. Get Thermal set up as a pick up point, let the fun begin.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #227
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post
75% of the time, when I pull up to a 4 way stop, there are 3 other BMWs along with me.
California does have the 8th largest economy in the world and we seem to prefer BMW products....

Plus, I'm just tired of waiting.

Show it in LA and kick up the US release to early March. Get Thermal set up as a pick up point, let the fun begin.
I have a coworker born and raised in Michigan and now he lives in CA. He said there are more domestic cars sold in Michigan than anything else. Asian and European cars are not popular there.

It would seem to make more sense to show it in LA.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #228
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I have a coworker born and raised in Michigan and now he lives in CA. He said there are more domestic cars sold in Michigan than anything else. Asian and European cars are not popular there.

It would seem to make more sense to show it in LA.
Come on... you guys can't seriously think that showing it in Detroit has to do with the number of interested consumers in Detroit.

The NAIAS is the biggest car show in the US. The LA Auto Show doesn't get anywhere near the press coverage that NAIAS will get. Why would they want to debut here in LA when they could have a bigger platform in Detroit? Lots of press coverage is worldwide exposure. That's why it's in Detroit and not here.
      11-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #229
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Come on... you guys can't seriously think that showing it in Detroit has to do with the number of interested consumers in Detroit.
The NAIAS is the biggest car show in the US. The LA Auto Show doesn't get anywhere near the press coverage that NAIAS will get. Why would they want to debut here in LA when they could have a bigger platform in Detroit? Lots of press coverage is worldwide exposure. That's why it's in Detroit and not here.
Plus, there's still some pixie dust over there, that hopefully will grace the M2.

11-06-2015, 02:47 AM   #230
rosino
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebled View Post
Different times, different approach ! BMW designed the car for racing from the drawing board.
THIS exactly ! My point is that yes Porsche offers lots of extras.. but on my GT3 done by the RennSport Department which is the equivalent of M if you really think about it... the car came with the best possible suspension and engine set-up.

All the other extras are cosmetic... like leather / paint / fancy seats etc etc.. The drivetrain is top-of-the-line stuff.

I just think they shouldn't start "diluting" further the M brand.. they have done it already with M-sport versions left right and centre of diesel cars.. went half-way with the M-lite cars.. shouldn't compromise the proper M-cars..

IMHO the M2 should have come directly with the coil-overs if they thought that added value to the overall proposition. As said before am pretty sure Ohlins might provide better value overall if going after-market route.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2015, 03:35 AM   #231
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post

Just having fun, dude.
The car should have dropped at the Frankfurt show, honestly. I think only the small group in this forum think the M2 is important. Everyone else at corporate can't wait for the X2, X8, X10 and the new 5 series GT !!!!
Appreciate 2
      11-06-2015, 03:37 AM   #232
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Getting back on topic...

Anybody know or have a guess on what the steering wheel will cost? That looks like a must have.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #233
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 n X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAgent
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
They're actually adjustable coilovers (assuming it's the same as the M4)
Do you know if the adjustments can be controlled from the center console? Or is it external adjustment. I'm not familiar with the new tech.

I guess this is why they did not offer adaptive suspension as an option. They would like you to purchase this feature. How much does it usually run? Can it be adjusted to set real soft for bumpy roads?

I live in NYC and having the car run smoother over bumps here is huge... for my back.
The coilovers seem to be THE upgrade here.

The car probably handles as well stock for 95% of the population and only the other 5% will truly extract the performance out of the setup.

Let's remember coilovers are for counterweight adjustment or corner weight balance. This means sharing the weight for maximal grip at each corner.

Coilovers with adjustable dampening is for cars that will be tracked.

Comfort is not a big ingredient here.

Comfort- sport - sport+ are not what this setup looks to offer. I.e. Not to offer touring, city, spirited driving.

Instead, it seems to be track A, auto cross track, drift course, slalom etc.

If you as a user fall in the track choice crowd, then coilovers are for you. If you seek to adjust to your daily driving habits coilovers will never be for you on any car.

Coilovers always make a car lower, stiffer and will wear tires if not corner weighted correctly!!!! Dedicated pro setup will extract performance out of the car when driven at 9/10ths and faster. There are little or no returns for daily drivers since you give up comfort, inherently in a coilover setup.
Except nobody wants progressive springs for the track lol.
      11-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #234
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Getting back on topic...

Anybody know or have a guess on what the steering wheel will cost? That looks like a must have.
I'd guess a little under $1k. Wouldn't think it would cost more than the M-Performance steering wheels already available.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #235
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

What is so hard to understand here?

They aren't making the car more M. They are entering the aftermarket industry. They know ppl mod. Why not make more money?

They have one edge....WARRANTY!

I will still always go with reputable aftermarket companies.
      11-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #236
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosino View Post
...on my GT3 done by the RennSport Department which is the equivalent of M if you really think about it... the car came with the best possible suspension and engine set-up...
You're equating a RennSport GT3 to a standard M car? Seriously? If you're going to draw a parallel in BMW's lineup to your GT3, at least be reasonable and choose the M4 GTS. (Which by the way will beat a GT3 around the Nurburgring.)

Offering M Performance coil overs for the M2 is great for many reasons (noted several times already), I can't understand how some are failing to see this...
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #237
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Q: Will there be a carbon fiber flow-through spoiler baseball cap?
A: Maybe by next Halloween, because of different aero than the M3/M4.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #238
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Getting back on topic...

I'd guess that the M Performance wheel will cost as much as or more than the current one for the M235i. No way it will cost less IMHO.

Here are some (possibly outdated) prices:

Current non-electronic M Performance steering wheel: $935
Current electronic M Performance steering wheel: $1,751
Bespoke M2 M Performance steering wheel: Priceless

Original (possibly outdated) M Performance accessory price list: http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaw...ts-pricing.pdf
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #239
Artemis
Rep

Name:  BMW_M_Perfomance_Logo2.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  BMW_M_Perfomance_Logo.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  5.1 KB

Name:  BladeRunner.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  5.9 KB
      01-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #240
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Any news for the M2 M Performance Exhaust price from the different auto shows?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #241
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
I'm really wondering if we will be able to order the car with any M performance parts. I feel like M performance parts will be released after April since there is still no pricing info on them.
Appreciate 0