BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Spool Performance HPFP Overdrive Unit

01-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #1
heimbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2

Spool Performance HPFP Overdrive Unit

Any cars here have it installed? Thoughts? Logs? Numbers?

http://spoolperformance.us/index.php...&product_id=71

Seems like a great coat effective alternative to HPFP replacement options.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Overdrive's won't work on the F series n55, direct replacements that increase flow volume are the only solution.
      01-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I looked into this a week or so ago, seems like it's only $160 cheaper than the xdi-35 when you add the micron fuel filter thing. However, I'm unsure if the fuel filter is needed or not. But it says "highly recommended" on their site.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I looked into this a week or so ago, seems like it's only $160 cheaper than the xdi-35 when you add the micron fuel filter thing. However, I'm unsure if the fuel filter is needed or not. But it says "highly recommended" on their site.
The spool performance FX-150 also flows 15% more fuel vs. the XDI-35 at 50% over stock vs. 35% overstock respectively, also the spool pump has a life time warranty too so those are some factors to consider.

Hopefully XDI drops their prices to compete, there is also another company that is launching an HPFP upgrade soon as well according to their IG. They have 2 pumps, stage 1 @ 50% over stock and stage 2 @ 75% over stock which both beat out what XDI has to offer.
      01-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #5
heimbo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Overdrive's won't work on the F series n55, direct replacements that increase flow volume are the only solution.
There's a wide body m2 that had it installed that I follow on IG. Was hoping to lure him out here if possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:29 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimbo View Post
There's a wide body m2 that had it installed that I follow on IG. Was hoping to lure him out here if possible.
I highly doubt he has his facts correct, the m2 uses a piston style pump not a rotary pump so it can't be over driven. I'm willing to be corrected, but it is unlikely since it would have been done by now if possible since overdriving units are way easier to make compared to larger cylinder volume piston style hpfp upgrades.
      01-03-2020, 11:46 PM   #7
heimbo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I highly doubt he has his facts correct, the m2 uses a piston style pump not a rotary pump so it can't be over driven. I'm willing to be corrected, but it is unlikely since it would have been done by now if possible since overdriving units are way easier to make compared to larger cylinder volume piston style hpfp upgrades.
After reading some.more I'm guessing it was the fx150.

http://spoolperformance.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=77
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:09 AM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
The spool performance FX-150 also flows 15% more fuel vs. the XDI-35 at 50% over stock vs. 35% overstock respectively, also the spool pump has a life time warranty too so those are some factors to consider.

Hopefully XDI drops their prices to compete, there is also another company that is launching an HPFP upgrade soon as well according to their IG. They have 2 pumps, stage 1 @ 50% over stock and stage 2 @ 75% over stock which both beat out what XDI has to offer.
I understand it allows for more fuel than the xdi-35, but how many ppl are maxing out that pump as is?

I do agree Spool's lifetime warranty is better than XDI's 1yr warranty. Though Spool requires you to purchase a new pump before the warranty process is even started. Then after you send back the old pump, if the warranty is accepted, you will be reimbursed.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:41 AM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimbo View Post
After reading some.more I'm guessing it was the fx150.

http://spoolperformance.us/index.php...&product_id=77
Yeah that would make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I understand it allows for more fuel than the xdi-35, but how many ppl are maxing out that pump as is?

I do agree Spool's lifetime warranty is better than XDI's 1yr warranty. Though Spool requires you to purchase a new pump before the warranty process is even started. Then after you send back the old pump, if the warranty is accepted, you will be reimbursed.
Alot of people that are using the big boost 3.4 kits are requiring PI to supplement the FX-150 from what I see on facebook. So people looking to hit huge power goals will definitely need more fuelling and Spool also has a higher flowing version according to their social media posts. People with an upgraded turbo who want to run full E85 will probably need more fuel than the FX-150 can flow too. So at this point imo the XDI-35 doesn't flow enough fuel to even justify buying it over any of these other pumps especially since it costs alot more. For my personal use where I want to be able to run full e85 on an upgraded turbo at ~500whp I was already looking past the XDI-35 in favour of the XDI-60 but if the other competitors have a higher flowing pump for cheaper and a lifetime warranty that is where I am heading to. Hopefully this will stimulate more competition in the HPFP world and cause price drops, it probably is hard for XDI since they have TTFS as their middle man and sole distributor who probably has to take a sizable chunk of the profit.

In regards to the warranty, I was not sure how the spool warranty worked but they did say no hassle guarantee on their page and to email them for warranty, I didn't know that you had to buy a pump first. Still better than a 1 year warranty that's for sure. So imo to make sure you do retain a warranty buy the filter, and use high quality fuel + fuel stabilizer if you are using ethanol to prevent moisture accumulation.
ZM22785.00