BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust Valve Behavior

12-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #45
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Has anyone engineered a solution to hardwire this thing? Cheapest, stupidest thing BMW could possibly do on a factory ordered option IMO. Like all Bluetooth devices they are prone to issues.
      12-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #46
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

How do you know the valves are closed? Do you close with 2 clicks on remote? Also, the remote is blinking about every 5 second while open, correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #47
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Few things that I want to note here.

I am sure you already have enabled your MPE in the boot below the carpet. There is a button to switch on and off. I found that the switch is very loose and sometimes actually turns off (Just once) when I load some stuff in the trunk although that should not contact directly... I just said to myself that i will tape it down to put it ON all time just if same thing happens again.

Wire connection sounds very popular issue and espectially if this wire is not visible under the carpet in the boot, dealers and mechanics will not be able to troubleshoot the problem. I have read a forum that one guy had exactly the same problem but his M2 was pretty much doing just fine when he tried to visit to show the dealer the problem of his MPE.

So he eneded up recording the video and took it to the dealer back and that they have replaced the exhaust and works perfectly fine after he did.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1319784

It could be BT problem. Some ppl say that it gets interfered by others using the BT nearby which I never find any issues with...

Untimate solution for you is to have it looks by dealer and let them diagnose. Make sure you have some videos taken before your visit just to prove and show what problem it has. Best chance (but worse also) to get is replaced. If you are still under warranty, Your dealer will provide rental vehicle and fix MPE for no charge.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #48
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Few things that I want to note here.

I am sure you already have enabled your MPE in the boot below the carpet. There is a button to switch on and off. I found that the switch is very loose and sometimes actually turns off (Just once) when I load some stuff in the trunk although that should not contact directly... I just said to myself that i will tape it down to put it ON all time just if same thing happens again.

Wire connection sounds very popular issue and espectially if this wire is not visible under the carpet in the boot, dealers and mechanics will not be able to troubleshoot the problem. I have read a forum that one guy had exactly the same problem but his M2 was pretty much doing just fine when he tried to visit to show the dealer the problem of his MPE.

So he eneded up recording the video and took it to the dealer back and that they have replaced the exhaust and works perfectly fine after he did.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1319784

It could be BT problem. Some ppl say that it gets interfered by others using the BT nearby which I never find any issues with...

Untimate solution for you is to have it looks by dealer and let them diagnose. Make sure you have some videos taken before your visit just to prove and show what problem it has. Best chance (but worse also) to get is replaced. If you are still under warranty, Your dealer will provide rental vehicle and fix MPE for no charge.
Mine does not have a switch in the trunk/boot. I believe it was a weak battery.
      12-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #49
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
European cars have red pimple button to toggle on-off of the MPE (they are not given with BT remote). If you are living elsewhere (including all North American States and Provinces), you should find a button (black switch) to turn on and off your MPE underneath trunk carpet where you see the hard wiring of MPE (originally for tire jell-pack is located for ppl without MPE).

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1962
Size:  330.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #50
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Quote:
Quote:
European cars have red pimple button to toggle on-off of the MPE (they are not given with BT remote). If you are living elsewhere (including all North American States and Provinces), you should find a button (black switch) to turn on and off your MPE underneath trunk carpet where you see the hard wiring of MPE (originally for tire jell-pack is located for ppl without MPE).

Attachment 1738748
Mine works off the remote. Clearly any master button is turned on.
      12-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #51
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mine works off the remote. Clearly any master button is turned on.
If your master button is on and all wires in the connection unit in the boot are looking just fine, and you are still experiencing the problem frequently, you should visit dealer and let them check yours.
Wire and connection problem of BT remote cannot be just troubleshoot as they are hard to find the root cause.

Sorry I could not help much..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #52
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 1738748
Hi

I'm in the UK, the first m2s came with just the BT remote, you could turn it on and off all day long. My M2 is the LCI and come with a red button in the boot and the BT remote. You must start the car first and then press the red button. And you can use the BT remote on your journey. I was informed when buying the car BMW put the red button in because it stopped people leaving it on as it's illegal in the UK
      12-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #53
PiK
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
How do you know the valves are closed?
It is quieter You can confirm it by looking into the exhaust pipes. You will notice the flaps. Use the flashlight.
Quote:
Do you close with 2 clicks on remote?
Correct.
Quote:
Also, the remote is blinking about every 5 second while open, correct?
Correct.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      02-27-2018, 02:39 AM   #54
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiK View Post
Check the fuse box in the trunk. The fuse for the valve controller is a blue one on the right, 15A. In my case the fins (which are connected by the fuse) were loose. I had to tighten them with a screwdriver. On a bumpy road the loosey fuse could disconnect the circuit, and then bluetooth module in the trunk is not working.

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2f07itx.jpg[/IMG]
This seems to be the culprit. Thanks for the finding.

I had auto closing problem (not as much as others reported though) when I first bought it in early 2017, so I unplugged the control module to keep it open the whole time. TBH I do not think it's too loud daily to daily at all because I have quiet car to drive when quite is needed.

Today I opened M2 trunk just out of curiosity and found the blue fuse was indeed loose. I tightened it then plugged the module back in. It works properly, never closes on me again. Nice!
      04-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #55
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiK View Post
Check the fuse box in the trunk. The fuse for the valve controller is a blue one on the right, 15A. In my case the fins (which are connected by the fuse) were loose. I had to tighten them with a screwdriver. On a bumpy road the loosey fuse could disconnect the circuit, and then bluetooth module in the trunk is not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
This seems to be the culprit. Thanks for the finding.

I had auto closing problem (not as much as others reported though) when I first bought it in early 2017, so I unplugged the control module to keep it open the whole time. TBH I do not think it's too loud daily to daily at all because I have quiet car to drive when quite is needed.

Today I opened M2 trunk just out of curiosity and found the blue fuse was indeed loose. I tightened it then plugged the module back in. It works properly, never closes on me again. Nice!
SeanWRT and PiK

Thanks to these 2 guys for the input... I just noticed my flaps would close randomly while cruising after taking the car out of hibernation (the remote would stop flashing)... Checked this thread and decided to take a look at the fuse box, since the car is new, so I didn't think the battery in the remote would be dead already.

Look what I found:

The blue fuse #15 was clearly popped up, so I pushed it back in place. It feels tight now. Will report back after a few days but hopefully everything is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:12 PM   #56
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Oh well, after my mild testing tonight, seems like the problem is unchanged... The remote just suddenly stops flashing and I cannot tell if the flaps stay open or not... I just changed the remote’s battery and will ask my dealer a new remote if the problem persists with the new battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:58 AM   #57
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

Same exact thing is happening to me. Found the fuse on mine was also popped up along with the fuse next to it too. Pushed everything right back down again. Problem persists. How do you get the damn battery out of this remote without destroying it? lol
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #58
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post
Same exact thing is happening to me. Found the fuse on mine was also popped up along with the fuse next to it too. Pushed everything right back down again. Problem persists. How do you get the damn battery out of this remote without destroying it? lol
Twist the bottom portion
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #59
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1monQc View Post
Twist the bottom portion
Lol I got that far.

The battery is just jammed in there, fused in place.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #60
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol I got that far.

The battery is just jammed in there, fused in place.
Ohh I see lol

Well I pulled it with a tiny plier... But yeah it was sorta tight.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #61
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Battery changed finally, no change in behaviour for me. Still constantly disconnecting. I will check the actual fuse itself that was popped out of place and see if it's actually good or not. I preemptively booked an appointment but I will report my findings here.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #62
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Battery changed finally, no change in behaviour for me. Still constantly disconnecting. I will check the actual fuse itself that was popped out of place and see if it's actually good or not. I preemptively booked an appointment but I will report my findings here.
Cool! I sent my SA an email too to open an investigation case.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:50 AM   #63
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just inspected the whole trunk, everything looks good and tight. Unplugged the blue fuse, tried to open the valves, remote blinked no connection (as expected). Replugged the fuse, tried the remote, remote worked perfectly, valves opened, then closed and reopened valves a few times... Everything working perfectly.

Will have to go take a couple of rides to see it the remote stops blinking again, and when that happen, check if the valves are opened or not. If yes, will have the remote replaced. If the valves are closed, will have to get the bluetooth unit replaced I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #64
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Just adding my findings thus far: Had an appointment today, and as luck would have it the remote was behaving flawlessly. They have opened up a case for me as well, and they will be ordering a new remote. Once it arrives they will pair it with the system. In the meantime I'm to continue testing with the existing remote and take note of any failures.

By some miracle however, the system has been behaving flawlessly all day today. Not a single disconnect. This made me start brainstorming what could have possibly changed. The only thing that is different today from other days is that my apple watch is dead. I will see if I charge the watch and turn it on, if the behaviour will come back. The only other thing I've done is unplug the unit for the past week (only plugged it back in today before the service appointment) so not sure if rebooting the unit did anything.

Will keep updating with my findings.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #65
MdMcoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Mcoupe (blown/track toy)

Quote:
Just adding my findings thus far: Had an appointment today, and as luck would have it the remote was behaving flawlessly. They have opened up a case for me as well, and they will be ordering a new remote. Once it arrives they will pair it with the system. In the meantime I'm to continue testing with the existing remote and take note of any failures.

By some miracle however, the system has been behaving flawlessly all day today. Not a single disconnect. This made me start brainstorming what could have possibly changed. The only thing that is different today from other days is that my apple watch is dead. I will see if I charge the watch and turn it on, if the behaviour will come back. The only other thing I've done is unplug the unit for the past week (only plugged it back in today before the service appointment) so not sure if rebooting the unit did anything.

Will keep updating with my findings.

At least you guys have your valves working.....I just installed my MPE this weekend and my valves have NEVER opened. All I get is the 2 quick blinks, even with the remote next to the exhaust.

Would they warranty a new remote if I installed it myself...?

BTW...I am not trying to hi jack thread....I started my own for some help....

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1493670
      05-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #66
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Updating with my experiences thus far, will be replacing the remote tomorrow, have a second service appointment. Will keep seeing if the new remote will be the fix or not. They have an open case for me so if that fails, I will keep hounding them until it's resolved.

To try and troubleshoot, I've attempted turning off my apple watch and my phone entirely. Valves randomly turn off regardless.
Appreciate 0