BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bmw F series N55 HPFP upgrades

03-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #177
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
No, no filter yet .. I was looking around for one that provides adequate flow and serviceability and Spool pissed us off so that's no longer viable. I'm kind of curious where one would be mounted under the car, we'll get a better look today. TBH, we actually good for a couple of months as we still haven't decided on a turbo yet. So in short - we wouldn't run an 'e' blend until then (when tuned).

In the meantime, any suggestions ? Seems odd that Fuel-It doesn't actually offer one that would integrate with their full kit. I see Earls, E85 freaks, Aeromotive etc.. We'd just need the proper dash fittings and barbs.
On my m235i I had the fuel labs fuel filter and custom an lines, if you have the push lock style lines it will be a huge pita to convert back to AN. I used a fuel filter holder and bolted it in the engine bay. Can't really remember too much detail now on how I mounted it.

Fuel labs is probably the best, but the filters are single use.
///Monika186.50
      03-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #178
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo1234 View Post
Been running my ttfs HPFP for about a year and a half, also have stage 2 LPFP and ethanol sensor with upgraded fuel lines. I generally run e50.

I had my injectors fail about a month ago. They have now been replaced, but I'm wondering if it's a coincidence with the ethanol? Car is now at about 30k.

I'm looking at an option to add a HPFP inline filter just for some extra peace of mind also, but nothing seems available without heavy modifications.
It could be, because now you're forcing the injectors to flow past their designed limit and ethanol lacks lubricity and tends to dry out seals. That's why when running e85 always run a top cylinder lube, power plus has some good stuff.
      03-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #179
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Thank you for this. I'll look into the Fuel Labs a little more, could have sworn their filters were replaceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
On my m235i I had the fuel labs fuel filter and custom an lines, if you have the push lock style lines it will be a huge pita to convert back to AN. I used a fuel filter holder and bolted it in the engine bay. Can't really remember too much detail now on how I mounted it.

Fuel labs is probably the best, but the filters are single use.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #180
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for this. I'll look into the Fuel Labs a little more, could have sworn their filters were replaceable.
You replace the cartridge inside not the whole housing. If you use e85 make sure you get the correct filter material.
      03-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #181
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You're right. I meant to say reusable. The labs 818 is 10 micron, e85 compatible and uses a cellulose filter element (disposable). In order to move to a reusable you'd step up to a 45 micron. At the moment, kind of stuck with routing the fuel line up to the LPFP. Might hold off until this is resolved.

Quote:
You replace the cartridge inside not the whole housing. If you use e85 make sure you get the correct filter material.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #182
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ZM2

Just a quick update. UPS dropped off the replacement flange and new bolts. We also received an email indicating that the new bolts are longer and should help us in maintaining a 15nm torque. Dorch has been amazing in handling this issue. It's comforting to know that if something goes wrong, they reply lighting fast and ship the part overnight so you can finish up and get back on the road. Yep, amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Wow, if I could give you and your husband 50 appreciation clicks I would. This is what this forum is about, and thank you for letting us all know!

Sounds like you all may be up and running next weekend?
Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      03-31-2020, 11:08 AM   #183
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
ZM2

Just a quick update. UPS dropped off the replacement flange and new bolts. We also received an email indicating that the new bolts are longer and should help us in maintaining a 15nm torque. Dorch has been amazing in handling this issue. It's comforting to know that if something goes wrong, they reply lighting fast and ship the part overnight so you can finish up and get back on the road. Yep, amazing.
Thanks for the update. Please let us know how your install wraps up!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #184
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Install went very well, the new flange and longer bolts went in with zero issues. I will say this though, the vacuum line that sits just forward of the HPFP will be very difficult to release once the new pump is installed. Difficult but not impossible. Something to keep in mind.

We now just need to re-install the manifold and all the bits and pieces. We'll do that this weekend.

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Please let us know how your install wraps up!
Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      04-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #185
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I have a possible concern over the LPFP line placement. The OEM line is in two sections. The HPFP hard line which is secured by [2] 13mm bolts (underneath a large wiring block) and a flex line that routes to the OEM fuel line. When you remove the hard line and flex line, you're provided with a new flex line (braided). The instructions indicate to route this behind the HPFP, through a new provided mount (keeps it off the engine) and underneath the wire harness (where the hard line was mounted).

So in short, the line is pretty close (OK really close if not touching) to the engine in this routing pattern. The new line is much larger (than the hard line) and there is really no room underneath the wiring block. So rather than run the line underneath, we ran it over the wire block. The manifold looks like it'll clear without issues and this keeps it away from the engine.

I'm not sure how many people have actually performed the install but I'd like to hear what others think. Sometimes it's one of those, if you have to ask situations but this is also good for others performing the install.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #186
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

is there a need for the inline fuel filters? is e85 fuel regulated differently for debris than gasoline? or is this a 'while i'm in there' upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #187
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Install went very well, the new flange and longer bolts went in with zero issues. I will say this though, the vacuum line that sits just forward of the HPFP will be very difficult to release once the new pump is installed. Difficult but not impossible. Something to keep in mind.

We now just need to re-install the manifold and all the bits and pieces. We'll do that this weekend.
Great to hear. So, is it your recommendation to ask Dorch for longer mounting bolts?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #188
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great question. When we first reached out to them, they thought (initially) it was our torque wrench and the low rating required for install. In other words, perhaps the calibration was off. When the new parts shipped, they indicated that it probably wasn't the torque wrench and to maintain 15nm. So I'm left to wonder if the flange had a possible issue when it was machined. The longer bolts seem like an added security. I'm sure they look at this statistically and may be including longer bolts on new shipments as it's cheap insurance.

TLDR: Yes, I'd reach out and ask if they can provide the longer bolts (4mm longer). How close are you to doing the install ?

Quote:
Great to hear. So, is it your recommendation to ask Dorch for longer mounting bolts?
Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      04-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #189
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Great question. When we first reached out to them, they thought (initially) it was our torque wrench and the low rating required for install. In other words, perhaps the calibration was off. When the new parts shipped, they indicated that it probably wasn't the torque wrench and to maintain 15nm. So I'm left to wonder if the flange had a possible issue when it was machined. The longer bolts seem like an added security. I'm sure they look at this statistically and may be including longer bolts on new shipments as it's cheap insurance.

TLDR: Yes, I'd reach out and ask if they can provide the longer bolts (4mm longer). How close are you to doing the install ?
Probably a month out for install for me. I’ll hit them up.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #190
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
is there a need for the inline fuel filters? is e85 fuel regulated differently for debris than gasoline? or is this a 'while i'm in there' upgrade?
Imo it's more for added protection but no fully needed.
      04-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #191
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Fast and good response from Dorch:

“This was a fairly isolated incident. Over the years we’ve done hundreds of these kits (Dorch Engineering is a new brand, but we’ve been automotive engineers/suppliers for a while!) and only 2 have had this issue. We looked further into it and it looks like a couple of the S2 kits received the wrong bolts (this has since been solved). The S1 kits never had any parts bin mix-ups so you are good to go!”
Appreciate 1
///Monika186.50
      04-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #192
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No kidding, they never indicated that to us (probably took them some time to figure that one out). Well, that's good news. The bolt is 55mm from bottom of bolt head to last thread. Just in case anyone wonders if they have the correct bolts for the S2 kit.

Quote:
Fast and good response from Dorch:

“This was a fairly isolated incident. Over the years we’ve done hundreds of these kits (Dorch Engineering is a new brand, but we’ve been automotive engineers/suppliers for a while!) and only 2 have had this issue. We looked further into it and it looks like a couple of the S2 kits received the wrong bolts (this has since been solved). The S1 kits never had any parts bin mix-ups so you are good to go!”

Last edited by ///Monika; 04-09-2020 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Adding some addt'l info.
Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      05-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #193
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:

I ordered my kit back during the pre-order phase but just got around to installing it. Everything was going smoothly until I had the same issue and the bolt stripped out the threaded holes in the flange. The bolts never even really snugged up so they started stripping out the holes almost immediately. Looks like I have the bad batch of bolts as mine is 55mm from the top of the bolt face to the very end.

Chris at Dorch was very quick to respond even though it was around 6 PM EST. Hopefully will have my replacment parts very quickly so I can get the car back on the road.
      05-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #194
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

I'm still debating between Dorch and spool, if Dorch had AN style connectors I probably would go with them since spool still hasn't released their FX-180
      05-22-2020, 11:23 PM   #195
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
I'm still debating between Dorch and spool, if Dorch had AN style connectors I probably would go with them since spool still hasn't released their FX-180
Can you buy your own AN fittings? Or do they have to be custom fit to this kit?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:43 PM   #196
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Can you buy your own AN fittings? Or do they have to be custom fit to this kit?

I don't think you can modify the pump to have AN fittings instead of the OE style push lock fittings without voiding the warranty. So if you buy an HPFP upgrade without the AN fittings from the get go you are likely stuck with it that way. If you don't care about warranty I am sure you could swap out those fittings if the screw in and aren't welded in.
      05-23-2020, 01:32 AM   #197
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
I don't think you can modify the pump to have AN fittings instead of the OE style push lock fittings without voiding the warranty. So if you buy an HPFP upgrade without the AN fittings from the get go you are likely stuck with it that way. If you don't care about warranty I am sure you could swap out those fittings if the screw in and aren't welded in.
Oh. I see what you mean. I wonder if someone makes an adapter.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:26 AM   #198
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Oh. I see what you mean. I wonder if someone makes an adapter.
I really doubt they would because more connections equals more chances of a leak.

There is really no benefit of going with AN lines over the push lock fittings because you can still get premade fuel lines either way. The reason why I like AN is because there is more AN fittings out there allowing for more flexibility when building fuel lines diy (you have angled fittings, swivels etc), and AN fittings are more widely used so it is easier to integrate fuel filters. That's not to say you can't do the same with push lock fittings (build a line with AN fittings and go push lock at the very end).

But the main reason why I prefer AN is because spool performance has life time warranties on everything they sell, so it saves me the time to DIY a fuel line (not fun at all to cut stainless AN hoses and insert fittings, and if you go too short accidentally then that line could be screwed) and I get life time warranty. Whereas fuel-it does not have life time warranty for their push lock style fuel line and the price is kind of high, plus I prefer stainless lines.

I hope that wasn't too confusing lol, I kinda just brain dumped.