BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Autolock, seems kind of whack

05-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Autolock, seems kind of whack

So my 2010 VW Scirocco R faithfully would lock itself after 30s. It was really nice as I could confidently walk away from the car and even if I weren't to lock it for some reason I knew it would be within seconds.

Never mind this car costs 20 k less new than an M2 had climate sync between driver and passenger, dynaudio stereo that absolutely decimates the HK, actual backlit dials that are high contrast in the day, an OIL TEMPERATURE guage.

The other day I found my car unlocked. I had ticked the 'auto lock' feature in idrive.

So what gives. Any one else have issues? Am I some how doing something wrong/missing a trick.

Or is a 2016 M Car that behind a 2010 people's car?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:49 AM   #2
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I believe the "auto lock" is just for driving. It locks the doors when you get above a certain speed.

Car doesn't have any automatic locking when you leave it, to my knowledge. If you have keyless (standard in the US, I don't know about the UK), you can just touch the textured portion on the door handle to lock the car, so that's what I do probably 99% of the time.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

These are questions that you can answer yourself if you read the manual.

There are two types of auto lock on our cars

1) If you hit the unlock button on the key fob or trigger an unlock through comfort access but don't open any doors on the car, the car will automatically lock itself after a minute or so.

2) Auto lock doors when driving off
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      05-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

nioh is correct in how it functions.

I thought the same thing you did when I first got the car, to discover it doesn't work that way. I just lock by comfort access (touching the grooved part of the door handle) as I walk away. It's like giving my car a little goodbye kiss.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

I use the touch groove method too as I'm paranoid about key fob clone intercept attacks. But I like secondary piece of mind.

So auto lock is when I'm in the car, great...

Maybe BMW need a mole in VW, a decade ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
I use the touch groove method too as I'm paranoid about key fob clone intercept attacks. But I like secondary piece of mind.

The key fob intercept attack doesn't depend on you pressing a button on the fob. It uses an intermediary device that acts as a signal amplifier between your car and your key fob.

In layman terms it basically extends the range of keyless entry such as comfort access and ignition kill since it tricks the car into thinking the key is nearby.

If you're truly paranoid and want to prevent this you need something that will act as a faraday cage for your key
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:30 AM   #7
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post

Auto-Lock is standard on all new G-Generation BMWs, with Comfort Access.

As you walk away from the vehicle, it auto-locks and as you get back closer, it unlocks, with the Welcome Lights.

It sounds cool in theory but in practice, it can get annoying; everytime you walk by your car, in the garage or on the street, you hear the vehicle unnecessarily locking/unlocking. I switch it off and went back old school, door handle methods, à la the M2's MO.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #8
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
The key fob intercept attack doesn't depend on you pressing a button on the fob. It uses an intermediary device that acts as a signal amplifier between your car and your key fob.

In layman terms it basically extends the range of keyless entry such as comfort access and ignition kill since it tricks the car into thinking the key is nearby.

If you're truly paranoid and want to prevent this you need something that will act as a faraday cage for your key
My keys are in a metal box. There actually is a type of intercept different to what you describe. They can intercept and clone the RF signal of they are in the vicinity of you using the key.

So they do it in a carpark, work out where the car resides then open it up later.
Appreciate 0