BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > M4 GTS coded Traction and Steering – what it means to you

05-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #67
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
I've always had the reservation for using chassis tuning made for other platforms...

I'm not assuming our stock Ms come out of factory dialed in perfectly (but surely purposefully), but BMW engineers ought to know way more and be way better equipped, and spend serious time in development.

Personally I'd rule out all GHAS and DSC from F80/82, simply because different weight balance (not just static front/rear weight distribution) and of course different dimension.

As for the M2 CS (F87gts file), it carries over adaptive damper from F80/82 which I believe diff and DSC will work accordingly for each c/s/s+ mode. Therefore, it does not fit M2 OG and M2C well in my opinion.

However, steering should be no issue, just the preference. You can use E-SYS... I'm not a big fan of E-SYS TBH, it has the Savvy look and take time to get familiar with, but in the end it does very basic and simple things...feels like trying hard figuring out a long and boring menu and finally order something from recommendation page one and it's even not all that good.
Agreed with your thoughts on using coding from different chassis. When I used F082GTS GHAS and DSC it provided more slip, but had some weird interventions sometimes.

And I didn’t think about the adaptive dampers carrying over in the F087GTS coding. Good point!

I’ll try the F087CS coding from the M2C and see if it provides enough slip. Mostly what I’m trying to accomplish is to have Comfort like steering and throttle response while on track, which means running MDM mode on the OG M2 and hopefully not too much intervention with F087CS coding.

I’m comfortable running DSC completely off, but the Sport style steering & throttle that comes with it makes the car more responsive/jerky than needed at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #68
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
I've always had the reservation for using chassis tuning made for other platforms...

I'm not assuming our stock Ms come out of factory dialed in perfectly (but surely purposefully), but BMW engineers ought to know way more and be way better equipped, and spend serious time in development.

Personally I'd rule out all GHAS and DSC from F80/82, simply because different weight balance (not just static front/rear weight distribution) and of course different dimension.

As for the M2 CS (F87gts file), it carries over adaptive damper from F80/82 which I believe diff and DSC will work accordingly for each c/s/s+ mode. Therefore, it does not fit M2 OG and M2C well in my opinion.

However, steering should be no issue, just the preference. You can use E-SYS... I'm not a big fan of E-SYS TBH, it has the Savvy look and take time to get familiar with, but in the end it does very basic and simple things...feels like trying hard figuring out a long and boring menu and finally order something from recommendation page one and it's even not all that good.
Agreed with your thoughts on using coding from different chassis. When I used F082GTS GHAS and DSC it provided more slip, but had some weird interventions sometimes.

And I didn't think about the adaptive dampers carrying over in the F087GTS coding. Good point!

I'll try the F087CS coding from the M2C and see if it provides enough slip. Mostly what I'm trying to accomplish is to have Comfort like steering and throttle response while on track, which means running MDM mode on the OG M2 and hopefully not too much intervention with F087CS coding.

I'm comfortable running DSC completely off, but the Sport style steering & throttle that comes with it makes the car more responsive/jerky than needed at the limit.
For everything you need and the power thirsty...trade in for a M2C or...a true CS!
      05-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #69
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
For everything you need and the power thirsty...trade in for a M2C or...a true CS!
Hah yeah. Not trying to start this debate again, but I'm not a fan of the S55 sound or M2C looks, and I like the N55's rawness and fast torque build up down low.

If I had enjoyed my times in M2C's and M3/4's a bit more (I've driven all of them quite a bit on both the street & track), I'd make the jump. Plus, all the work I've done with tuning, cooling, brakes, suspension, etc would need to be repeated, albeit less effort and cost would be needed--but I'd pay for it via additional depreciation, taxes, etc, by trading to something newer.

Also, I've learned a lot going thru the upgrade process on my M2, so I'm emotionally invested and not ready to let her go yet. I'll do this last round of engine & cooling upgrades (HPFP, E45-50 tune, Evo 3 Comp), and call it good and drive her for a few years.

So, I'll wait for the next gen M2 (or whatever other cars are interesting at that time)--let's just hope it looks good.

Anyways, back to coding discussion!
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00
      05-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #70
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
There are honestly no dynamic disadvantages of running the GTS DSC, compared to the OG/LCI DSC. The car feels totally safe, but the DSC interferes less - by this I am not talking about doing big slides, but referring to the fact that the DSC is relaxed enough to let the LSD to do it's job (you can literally feel this immediately) - the way the tyres hook up is so much better. It is totally safe, even in the wet - the max I have got the rear stepped out was about 1ft before intervention.

Having spent more time with the GHAS coding now though, it is a slightly different kettle of fish - and has two stages:

1) on OEM suspension: the effect is fun, but does make the rear end seem quite aggressive in the way it delivers power in very quick changes of direction (E.g around sharp S bends) - to some, this will be unsettling.

2) on coilovers: I have been lucky enough to get hold of some AST 5100 coilovers, which I fitted last weekend - with these on, there is no issue at all with the GTS GHAS - the brilliant AST dampers have sorted the above feeling completely - it feels absolutely MEGA!!!!!
Appreciate 1
F87source7233.50
      05-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #71
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
There are honestly no dynamic disadvantages of running the GTS DSC, compared to the OG/LCI DSC. The car feels totally safe, but the DSC interferes less - by this I am not talking about doing big slides, but referring to the fact that the DSC is relaxed enough to let the LSD to do it's job (you can literally feel this immediately) - the way the tyres hook up is so much better. It is totally safe, even in the wet - the max I have got the rear stepped out was about 1ft before intervention.

Having spent more time with the GHAS coding now though, it is a slightly different kettle of fish - and has two stages:

1) on OEM suspension: the effect is fun, but does make the rear end seem quite aggressive in the way it delivers power in very quick changes of direction (E.g around sharp S bends) - to some, this will be unsettling.

2) on coilovers: I have been lucky enough to get hold of some AST 5100 coilovers, which I fitted last weekend - with these on, there is no issue at all with the GTS GHAS - the brilliant AST dampers have sorted the above feeling completely - it feels absolutely MEGA!!!!!
I wonder if any future ISTEP updates will give us F87cs GHAS settings, that would be nice.
      05-15-2020, 05:45 AM   #72
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I wonder if any future ISTEP updates will give us F87cs GHAS settings, that would be nice.
I think that's very unlikely - the F087CS code set is in the car already in modules where it differs from F087.

Either the GHAS module has changed (and older ones don't support the newer code), or both car models are using the same code set/configuration for the GHAS module. (I suspect the later personally)
Appreciate 1
F87source7233.50
      05-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #73
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

I’ve been reading through this thread and still confused about how to do this?

Can someone explain in a nutshell how to code GTS steering to an M2C?
      05-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #74
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post

First you need ESYS, I suggest reading up on it before getting into coding. Then with ESYS you make the changes in the module.
      05-23-2020, 01:50 AM   #75
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post

Best guide I found here
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715297
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:31 AM   #76
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No, the best guides are found here:
1) Software: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=983244
2) Guide: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=983245

I just didn't post it earlier since I am not sure if I can post links to other forums, if it is not allowed I apologize and just let me know and I will remove it.

Note, despite the fact that the software is available in #1 you will need a launcher to FDL code, the issue is that this is not free and can cost you up to $200. There are free options such as the launcher rearm to rearm the free versions of the launcher, however it did not work for me and would give me error C157. If the rearm doesn't work for you then you have to pay for a licence, in which case talk to shawnsheridan and he can link you to someone who can get you said launcher.
      05-29-2020, 02:47 AM   #77
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
You can get a feel for the gts steering even without coding. Now you are on the new ISTEP, drive the car with dsc totally disabled (long press) - the steering will also change -the feel is pretty close to the sport+ with the gts coding.
Just reading this thread now, and this was posted a while back, but... the above doesn't make any sense.

On an OG / non-Comp car, disabling traction control (DSC long press) puts your steering (and throttle) into "Sport" mode. (FWIW, there is no "Sport+" steering mode -- per BMW's documentation, "Sport+" drive mode switch just uses "Sport" steering. We have "Sport" and "Comfort" and that's it for steering options.)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:19 AM   #78
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Just reading this thread now, and this was posted a while back, but... the above doesn't make any sense.

On an OG / non-Comp car, disabling traction control (DSC long press) puts your steering (and throttle) into "Sport" mode. (FWIW, there is no "Sport+" steering mode -- per BMW's documentation, "Sport+" drive mode switch just uses "Sport" steering. We have "Sport" and "Comfort" and that's it for steering options.)
I have seen BMW's table of modes, but there is more to it than they are declaring in the table.

There are 4 x distinct steering modes on the car:
- Comfort
- Sport
- Sport+ (the difference to Sport is small admittedly, but noticeable)
- DSC disabled (not to be confused with Traction mode that uses Comfort steering)

It may be on the earlier ISTEPs that the differences were less pronounced, so not noticeable, but on the later versions it's as above.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:22 AM   #79
HALi1337
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

thanks for you fdl coding guide. i applicate it yesterday onmy m2 comp ece.
egs, dsc, eps and ghas works very great, but since the other swfl / swfk are flashed to the egs, i miss my gear display in my kombi cluster instrument.
i-step 20-07 ;-)

anybody knows how to fix this?

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:55 PM   #80
BigBig2
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Thanks widetyres for this informative thread. Could you please explain why the M4 GTS MDM/Differential coding can't be used on the M2 Competition and is there a way around to make it work?

I've also installed a set of AST 5100 coilovers plus sway bars on my car, and ever since then the differential has been feeling quite lazy or unresponsive. It definitely pulled harder out of the corners when it was on stock suspension, where I originally thought the ELSD was more actively sorting out the roll from the soft springs. However, now that the car is well planted and tight through the corners it doesn't seem to be putting down the power as well and I'm only getting marginally better lap times.

Some people were saying that the ELSD isn't calibrated for the suspension upgrade which is what led me to your post, since the M4 GTS is a more hardcore platform with a dedicated track suspension.

Also I'm wondering is there any difference in the DSC OFF mode for across all the variations of the models. Since even though I track with DSC OFF, I still feel that there is something working in the background at times and from what I've been told the driving aids are never completely 100% off.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #81
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBig2 View Post
Thanks widetyres for this informative thread. Could you please explain why the M4 GTS MDM/Differential coding can't be used on the M2 Competition and is there a way around to make it work?
TBH looking at this again now, I think that was probably a mistake; I have rechecked the module part numbers and it was GHAS part IDs that changed significantly, however, it states that they are backwards compatible. The DSC parts have been revised a number of times, but all look compatible.

Further to that post, the M2CS Racing option (F087GTS) should now be available to you (if you have a new enough ISTEP), which is the option I would go for (over M4GTS) - I haven't tried this yet as I need to update my car, but many have.

Quote:
I've also installed a set of AST 5100 coilovers plus sway bars on my car, and ever since then the differential has been feeling quite lazy or unresponsive. It definitely pulled harder out of the corners when it was on stock suspension, where I originally thought the ELSD was more actively sorting out the roll from the soft springs. However, now that the car is well planted and tight through the corners it doesn't seem to be putting down the power as well and I'm only getting marginally better lap times.
I also have AST5100! Great choice! Love mine.
How have you got yours setup? - I think that what you are feeling is more down to that than the ELSD. It took a while, but I settled on the rear needing to be 2-clicks harder than the fronts. I think I am currently at F7:R5 clicks (from full stiff), but TBH it doesn't matter how many clicks you are running, it is the 2-click differential front to rear that is the important point, as that helps shift some weight to the front to aid turn in grip.

Running the above clicks, with GTS coded GHAS & DSC gives exceptional drive into/out of the corners and the car can yaw on throttle input alone. TBH, IMO the stock suspension doesn't have the grip to run the GTS GHAS as the rear becomes way too keen to oversteer - the AST sorts out the balance nicely.

Quote:
Some people were saying that the ELSD isn't calibrated for the suspension upgrade which is what led me to your post, since the M4 GTS is a more hardcore platform with a dedicated track suspension.
As above, I don't think that this is the case.

Quote:
Also I'm wondering is there any difference in the DSC OFF mode for across all the variations of the models. Since even though I track with DSC OFF, I still feel that there is something working in the background at times and from what I've been told the driving aids are never completely 100% off.
I do not know, but I suspect that DSC off is the same on all models. However, there are driver "aids" built into the ELSD that cannot be turned off at all, so it's very likely (especially with track driving) that they are interfering a bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #82
BigBig2
Rep

Quote:
TBH looking at this again now, I think that was probably a mistake; I have rechecked the module part numbers and it was GHAS part IDs that changed significantly, however, it states that they are backwards compatible. The DSC parts have been revised a number of times, but all look compatible.

Further to that post, the M2CS Racing option (F087GTS) should now be available to you (if you have a new enough ISTEP), which is the option I would go for (over M4GTS) - I haven't tried this yet as I need to update my car, but many have.
I don't suppose there is a thread on the F087GTS coding? I'm wondering how well would that work since the M2CS Racing has a purely mechanical differential. Also my car is one of the earlier builds 08-2018, I don't know which ISTEP I have but the dealer has been trying to get me in to update the software which I've been reluctant to do since I heard the 2019 build cars are locked out from being tuned.

Quote:
How have you got yours setup? - I think that what you are feeling is more down to that than the ELSD. It took a while, but I settled on the rear needing to be 2-clicks harder than the fronts. I think I am currently at F7:R5 clicks (from full stiff), but TBH it doesn't matter how many clicks you are running, it is the 2-click differential front to rear that is the important point, as that helps shift some weight to the front to aid turn in grip.

Running the above clicks, with GTS coded GHAS & DSC gives exceptional drive into/out of the corners and the car can yaw on throttle input alone. TBH, IMO the stock suspension doesn't have the grip to run the GTS GHAS as the rear becomes way too keen to oversteer - the AST sorts out the balance nicely.
Yes the AST are amazing, while the stock suspension was quite a mess on the soft springs with all the body movement. Especially with the 2NH brakes which are standard here in North America, after putting aftermarket brakes pads in the front end is completely squatted braking into a corner lifting up and loosening the rear.

I actually did have it with a 2-click differential, F -2 and R -4 from full stiff but I found the car still understeered a little so I went to F -3 and R -4 where the car feels more neutral on turn in. It seems like the car isn't really yawing as much as it did on the stock suspension and the throttle modulation is not as reactive. There was a time where I was mid corner applying throttle to rotate the car but nothing really happened until I exited the corner and all of a sudden the wheels started spinning and the car went sideways.

Quote:
I do not know, but I suspect that DSC off is the same on all models. However, there are driver "aids" built into the ELSD that cannot be turned off at all, so it's very likely (especially with track driving) that they are interfering a bit.
I was just thinking with the M4 GTS flash maybe the threshold parameters would be higher overall across all the driving electronics since the car would think it is a GTS car.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #83
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't suppose there is a thread on the F087GTS coding? I'm wondering how well would that work since the M2CS Racing has a purely mechanical differential. Also my car is one of the earlier builds 08-2018, I don't know which ISTEP I have but the dealer has been trying to get me in to update the software which I've been reluctant to do since I heard the 2019 build cars are locked out from being tuned.

Quote:

Yes the AST are amazing, while the stock suspension was quite a mess on the soft springs with all the body movement. Especially with the 2NH brakes which are standard here in North America, after putting aftermarket brakes pads in the front end is completely squatted braking into a corner lifting up and loosening the rear.

I actually did have it with a 2-click differential, F -2 and R -4 from full stiff but I found the car still understeered a little so I went to F -3 and R -4 where the car feels more neutral on turn in. It seems like the car isn't really yawing as much as it did on the stock suspension and the throttle modulation is not as reactive. There was a time where I was mid corner applying throttle to rotate the car but nothing really happened until I exited the corner and all of a sudden the wheels started spinning and the car went sideways.

Quote:
I was just thinking with the M4 GTS flash maybe the threshold parameters would be higher overall across all the driving electronics since the car would think it is a GTS car.
Interesting re the diff - will have to look into that further.

You have the click difference the wrong way round - I did the same at first given that they are sold as rebound adjustment only. However, I spoke with a racer friend who said that they would definitively be doing compression as well. Knowing that I flipped the clicks difference and it was an amazing result.

It might seem weird to think of it that way, but run the fronts 2 clicks softer than the rears and you won't have any understeer at all and can run the suspension a bit softer all around but still have great turn in.

Well worth a go. Hope it works for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #84
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Will I void the warranty by flashing different MDM than factory? Have M2c and curious what Euro MDM can do to the car at limit..
      10-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #85
BigBig2
Rep

Quote:
Interesting re the diff - will have to look into that further.

You have the click difference the wrong way round - I did the same at first given that they are sold as rebound adjustment only. However, I spoke with a racer friend who said that they would definitively be doing compression as well. Knowing that I flipped the clicks difference and it was an amazing result.

It might seem weird to think of it that way, but run the fronts 2 clicks softer than the rears and you won't have any understeer at all and can run the suspension a bit softer all around but still have great turn in.

Well worth a go. Hope it works for you.
My guess is since the car doesn't have huge body roll anymore, the electronics are confused and not shifting the power as effectively as before.

Interesting, I will definitely try that for the next track day. Initially I started with full stiff all around and found the car a little twitchy, which is why I softened the rear to get it less tail happy.

Thanks again for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #86
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Will I void the warranty by flashing different MDM than factory? Have M2c and curious what Euro MDM can do to the car at limit..
Apparently nothing - a bmw consultant on here stated that it only affected the tyre pressure monitoring system.

I think it would void the warranty. I have seen people mention that bmw dealers charged them to put the car back to stock before doing other work.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #87
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Quote:
Apparently nothing - a bmw consultant on here stated that it only affected the tyre pressure monitoring system.

I think it would void the warranty. I have seen people mention that bmw dealers charged them to put the car back to stock before doing other work.
I see. Idk if this will be treated the same as flashing BM3, which will be an instant flag for warranty claim, regardless if you flash back to stock or not.
      10-01-2020, 08:39 PM   #88
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I see. Idk if this will be treated the same as flashing BM3, which will be an instant flag for warranty claim, regardless if you flash back to stock or not.
I just got my car (2016 build) back from a warranty service. It has aftermarket seats (airbags coded out), Dinan Stage IV, euro MDM set to G82GTS, F87CS steering, and a host of other things, and the worst my tech said was "we need the original seats in order to flash the car." PITA to move them around, but no voided warranty. He did express surprise that nothing popped up, and mentioned the whole "BMW flagging changes".

Coding doesn't seem to be a problem; flashing an ECU likely would. Coding is purely a software change (you're changing one parameter for another, the car might just think it's European suddenly); flashing is a firmware change to allow for new software, and the car would probably recognize that something about that is different.
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00