BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > F87 N55 PureTurbos Stage 2 Turbo Build Journal | 529wHP / 542wTQ

03-29-2020, 10:53 PM   #155
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Correct the vision rings! I feel like they look better than the non-LCI rings personally, but I can see what you mean. I think I'll also have the lenses etched - still on the fence about that one. I was hoping I'd be able to do the Vision X but unfortunately I'd need to have LED headlights to facilitate that in the true vertical center of the ring.
I'm not crazy about the OEM DTM style rings either but the icon visions just don't do it for me. Didn't want to spend the money on something I wouldn't love. What I really wanted was a proper LCI retrofit but the cost wasn't justifiable so I just did the black out as a cheaper alternative to make it look a bit nicer. Still a little unhappy with my headlights but now I'm much less unhappy at least, lol. To each their own of course as taste is subjective. Looking forward to pics once they're installed. Good luck with the build!
      05-04-2020, 09:50 PM   #156
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Finally got around to installing the new headlights I had built. I had them built by a local business - Tom @ WinnipegHID is a stand up guy and was able to complete the build in a timely manner while keeping it clean. He was able to hide all of the new drivers and wiring inside the actual headlight so everything looks OEM inside the engine bay. Nothing extra hanging around or visible. I used BavGruppe components and had Tom @ WinnipegHID black out the OEM housing. It's a mixture of gloss and matte black on different parts of the headlight. It's quite difficult to get a good photo of the paint without the lens reflection. The new LED brow and halos are incredibly bright, and the added demon eye adds for a nice "mean" touch to the front end. All OEM functions are retained, and no codes were thrown!

I also just flashed the new THOR M2 N55 GTS Transmission Tune as well as their THOR M2 Competition Dynamic Package (Steering, LSD, and MDM). I'll be reviewing that hopefully by the end of the weekend. I just want to get some seat time with the entire package to get a true feel for the adjustments. For what it's worth, THOR has been working on the M2 N55 GTS Transmission tune for quite some time now and from what I can initially see - it really is the GTS transmission tune adopted for our N55 vehicles which lack the drive modes that the S55 has.

Look forward to your opinions on the headlights.

Appreciate 2
Bee Pee1737.50
      05-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #157
M2Debt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Alpine White M2

Very interested in the THOR feedback for the steering and LSD. Would love to get less intrusion w/o completely disabling the nannies
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:32 AM   #158
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
I also just flashed the new THOR M2 N55 GTS Transmission Tune as well as their THOR M2 Competition Dynamic Package (Steering, LSD, and MDM). I'll be reviewing that hopefully by the end of the weekend. I just want to get some seat time with the entire package to get a true feel for the adjustments. For what it's worth, THOR has been working on the M2 N55 GTS Transmission tune for quite some time now and from what I can initially see - it really is the GTS transmission tune adopted for our N55 vehicles which lack the drive modes that the S55 has.
Sub'd for yr feedback esp about n55 GTS trans tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Debt View Post
Very interested in the THOR feedback for the steering and LSD. Would love to get less intrusion w/o completely disabling the nannies
I have Thor Dynamic on my OGM2 - with latest istep, EPS is very good so I have MDM set to comp and MDiff to CS (GTS in Thor-speak) - love it. Less wiggle from the rear when booting it from a launch and handling balance feels more neutral although my car's setup didn't understeer much at all before Thor flash.

Rear camber set at -1.5deg helps straight line traction w/o impacting rear end grip in the bends and DSC intrusion is far less.
Endeav388.50
M2Debt98.00
///M TOWN13117.00
      05-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #159
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

THOR GTS Transmission Flash and Dynamic Package Review

All comparisons I make in this post are comparisons to the Bootmod3 / MHD GTS Transmission flash which "works" in manual mode, but places the car in comfort in "automatic" mode.

Thor GTS Transmission Flash:

Shifting Strategy: Feels OEM (in a good way). Unlike the Bootmod3 GTS transmission flash, the THOR GTS transmission flash obeys all drive modes and will hold on to gears for longer periods of time as you go from Comfort to Sport+. I don't notice much change here compared to OEM, however this is a HUGE improvement over the Bootmod3 GTS transmission flash as that shifting strategy is comfort mode only!

Shifting Speed: Definitely improved. One thing I did notice while manual shifting the vehicle is that even in the most aggressive drive mode (Sport+ / DSC OFF), the car has some "adaptive" component to it and doesn't just shift super hard at low throttle inputs. I can't think of a better word aside from "adaptive" - maybe someone can chime in with a better way of explaining this. It seems as though as you get more aggressive with the throttle, the more aggressive the shift becomes and the quicker it is. This not only allows for smooth shifts at low throttle inputs, but it also allows for very quick and precise shifts when you're full WOT - this is a huge plus in my book because it keeps the car from being "upset" on the track in lower speed sections.

Shifting Delay: Greatly improved. This is where I noticed the most difference. Prior to flashing the vehicle my one gripe with the transmission was that it did not want to down shift as quickly as I'd like and thus I'd end up manual shifting 99% of the time. Now after flashing the THOR GTS flash I've definitely noticed the car is much more responsive and has a willingness to down shift when slowing down into a corner / parking lot on the street.

Clamping Pressure: Impossible to tell - I can only take the developers word for it that it is increased. I haven't had any signs of slip yet with my PureTurbos Stage 2 M2!

Shifting Jerkiness: Non-existent anymore. I can drive the car in Comfort, Sport, or Sport+ through a parking lot if I'd want to and not have to worry about the car not wanting to downshift / upshift. It seems very "adaptive" to the situation and works with the driver as opposed to following a set of conditions like a program and working against the driver.]

THOR M2 Competition Dynamic Package:

EPS - Nothing short of amazing. The steering feel is quite improved - like SeanWRT said the car feels nimble at low speed, but as you increase in speed the steering weight builds up almost linearly. It's predictable in a good way - the car feels incredibly agile and is effortless to drive at all speeds.

GHAS - Not sure if this is placebo or not, but I definitely feel that in the modes where components of "traction control" are enabled, the car is less likely to kick out on you, and more likely to keep you in a straight line and put the power to the ground. Difficult to truly gauge.

DSC/MDM - Greatly improved. Intrusiveness in MDM mode is greatly reduced and allows for a lot more play while still feeling "safe" in a manner. I used to drive with DSC OFF all the time to avoid any sort of intrusiveness, now I think I'm going to be switching to MDM mode!

Overall this package is amazing. I highly recommend those with DCT M2's get the GTS transmission flash at minimum, but I truly believe that both packages in conjunction really make the car shine. Shout out to SeanWRT for the template! Figured I'd keep the same format so it was easy for people to follow. A lot of what I said mimics what Sean says, this is an amazing product.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #160
AnthraciteOG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Road & Track Build

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
THOR GTS Transmission Flash and Dynamic Package Review

All comparisons I make in this post are comparisons to the Bootmod3 / MHD GTS Transmission flash which "works" in manual mode, but places the car in comfort in "automatic" mode.

Thor GTS Transmission Flash:

Shifting Strategy: Feels OEM (in a good way). Unlike the Bootmod3 GTS transmission flash, the THOR GTS transmission flash obeys all drive modes and will hold on to gears for longer periods of time as you go from Comfort to Sport+. I don't notice much change here compared to OEM, however this is a HUGE improvement over the Bootmod3 GTS transmission flash as that shifting strategy is comfort mode only!

Shifting Speed: Definitely improved. One thing I did notice while manual shifting the vehicle is that even in the most aggressive drive mode (Sport+ / DSC OFF), the car has some "adaptive" component to it and doesn't just shift super hard at low throttle inputs. I can't think of a better word aside from "adaptive" - maybe someone can chime in with a better way of explaining this. It seems as though as you get more aggressive with the throttle, the more aggressive the shift becomes and the quicker it is. This not only allows for smooth shifts at low throttle inputs, but it also allows for very quick and precise shifts when you're full WOT - this is a huge plus in my book because it keeps the car from being "upset" on the track in lower speed sections.

Shifting Delay: Greatly improved. This is where I noticed the most difference. Prior to flashing the vehicle my one gripe with the transmission was that it did not want to down shift as quickly as I'd like and thus I'd end up manual shifting 99% of the time. Now after flashing the THOR GTS flash I've definitely noticed the car is much more responsive and has a willingness to down shift when slowing down into a corner / parking lot on the street.

Clamping Pressure: Impossible to tell - I can only take the developers word for it that it is increased. I haven't had any signs of slip yet with my PureTurbos Stage 2 M2!

Shifting Jerkiness: Non-existent anymore. I can drive the car in Comfort, Sport, or Sport+ through a parking lot if I'd want to and not have to worry about the car not wanting to downshift / upshift. It seems very "adaptive" to the situation and works with the driver as opposed to following a set of conditions like a program and working against the driver.]

THOR M2 Competition Dynamic Package:

EPS - Nothing short of amazing. The steering feel is quite improved - like SeanWRT said the car feels nimble at low speed, but as you increase in speed the steering weight builds up almost linearly. It's predictable in a good way - the car feels incredibly agile and is effortless to drive at all speeds.

GHAS - Not sure if this is placebo or not, but I definitely feel that in the modes where components of "traction control" are enabled, the car is less likely to kick out on you, and more likely to keep you in a straight line and put the power to the ground. Difficult to truly gauge.

DSC/MDM - Greatly improved. Intrusiveness in MDM mode is greatly reduced and allows for a lot more play while still feeling "safe" in a manner. I used to drive with DSC OFF all the time to avoid any sort of intrusiveness, now I think I'm going to be switching to MDM mode!

Overall this package is amazing. I highly recommend those with DCT M2's get the GTS transmission flash at minimum, but I truly believe that both packages in conjunction really make the car shine. Shout out to SeanWRT for the template! Figured I'd keep the same format so it was easy for people to follow. A lot of what I said mimics what Sean says, this is an amazing product.
Awsome to see that u are able to experience all these benefits from flashing the dynamic package from Thor. Do you have a link or contact info where I can get the same tune for my OG M2. Would loge to get rid of that jerkiness and shifting delay in the stock transmission.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:20 PM   #161
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraciteOG View Post
Awsome to see that u are able to experience all these benefits from flashing the dynamic package from Thor. Do you have a link or contact info where I can get the same tune for my OG M2. Would loge to get rid of that jerkiness and shifting delay in the stock transmission.
It's actually all on the App store for your respective mobile device (both android and iOS). If you're an Apple user like myself I highly recommend you just buy yourself an E-NET cable and then an E-NET to lightning port adapter to flash the files! It's way faster and takes about 20 minutes cumulative to flash both the transmission and the dynamic package. The transmission is about 10 minutes, and the dynamic package about 12 - 15 minutes with a wired connection.

Search "THOR M Flasher" in the App Store
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 12:00 AM   #162
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Decided to make the leap and ditch JB4 and go flash only on the Bootmod3 platform. There's a few reasons as to why I've chosen to go this route, but it's mostly self explanatory. I will do a detailed write up once everything is dialed in.

I've chosen to tune with F80Paul after speaking with a bunch of tuners. Seems F80Paul / Paul Johnston knows his way around the N55 just as well as he knows his way around the S55 platform. I'm two revisions in and my logs have never looked cleaner!

I'll update this thread when we finish tuning!

Last edited by Endeav; 05-19-2020 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 2
SeanWRT3179.00
Anthony1s755.50
      05-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #163
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Okay, sizeable write up ahead on why I decided to switch from JB4 to full flash on the Bootmod3 platform. SeanWRT I think you'll be very happy to hear about this switch.

Back when I originally turbo swapped the car there was no such thing as an upgraded HPFP for this vehicle, so the only reliable way to get fueling to all 6 cylinders evenly was to run port injection. Being located in Canada where ethanol doesn't exist at the gas pumps, I had to use the next best thing - methanol. Now being that I decided to run actual duty cycle injectors and not traditional methanol nozzles I decided to use the JB4 to control the methanol PI injectors as I could make changes on the fly and in theory "shorten" my tuning period based on datalogs that were easily and readily obtainable on the street via the JB4 app. Don't get me wrong, the JB4 was great as I could monitor all my parameters while driving and could fine tune things on the fly, hell, I could even up the boost to a kill map without having to reflash. It was convenient, no doubt. The problem with the JB4 I found was that as flash tuning grew over the last 2 years, less and less people supported the JB4, no one wanted to make a BEF, or really put in as much effort as they do with a true flash tune because of the fact that the JB4 would be inconsistent not just in different ambient conditions, but even on the same day on back to back pulls. One pull your boost and fueling would be right on target, and the next you might be down 2 PSI, or over boosting on the hit which would throw off your entire pull. It was a great device when flash tuning didn't exist, but I can say I'm glad I decided to switch and won't be looking back.

As I said in an earlier post, a couple weeks ago I started chatting with a few tuners discussing power goals, what it would require me to switch to flash only, and the benefits of flash only vs JB4. Long story short, almost all of them said that I was over complicating my setup now that the XDI-35 (and other HPFPs) are available for the F-Series N55. Port injection is really no longer required and charge pipe methanol is all I would need to max out the PS2 turbo. In short to transition to flash only I would really only need a stand-alone meth system which in this case I chose the AEM 30-3300 because of my previous familiarity with the kit and seeing it used in a lot of high horsepower builds. I've gone from six 550cc injectors in each intake runner to a single CM10 positioned right at the intercooler outlet. I continue to run 100% methanol through the system and it seems to be working quite well.

After reviewing a few tuners portfolios I decided to tune with F80Paul @ Paul Johnson Tunes. He's set a few records on the S55 and I was able to find a couple PS2 N55's he's tuned that made similar horsepower to me and their dyno graphs were a hell of a lot smoother than my JB4 22 PSI map dyno. Another thing which made my choose F80Paul over the rest was his response time. Paul himself reviews all the tunes and makes changes but has a crew of people who tell you when the update has been pushed out. More often that not my e-mail was replied to by Paul himself, but sometimes when he was busy on the dyno / reviewing a lot of logs one of his employees would reply to me stating Paul had pushed an update. I would do my logs every night, and by noon the next day I would have an update - no time wasted. I just finished up my third revision with F80Paul and I suspect this will be the last. I'm currently targeting 21.5 PSI and running 11 degrees of ignition advance up top. This is on Husky 94 Octane + 100% Methanol with a CM10 nozzle. I have had zero codes, zero hiccups, and the car is predictable pull after pull. The car feels insanely fast, faster than when I had a good 22 PSI pull in the JB4, and overall feels like it's in a much better state. Torque comes on smooth, mid range power feels straight savage, and the best part of it all - it feels controllable and manageable in every way.

Here's one of my datalogs from todays revision - ambient temperature was nearly 30 degrees celsius.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ec6...2smsJmW5NTQa7s

I will be dyno'ing again once I finish tuning - just waiting for Paul to review the last set of logs to see if we are done. I will also be installing a Turbosmart Plumb Back VR11 diverter valve to replace my DV+ as well as the full metal PureTurbos inlet to replace my V2 inlet over the next couple days.
Appreciate 3
SeanWRT3179.00
Anthony1s755.50
M2OG399.00
      05-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #164
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Okay, sizeable write up ahead on why I decided to switch from JB4 to full flash on the Bootmod3 platform. SeanWRT I think you'll be very happy to hear about this switch.

Back when I originally turbo swapped the car there was no such thing as an upgraded HPFP for this vehicle, so the only reliable way to get fueling to all 6 cylinders evenly was to run port injection. Being located in Canada where ethanol doesn't exist at the gas pumps, I had to use the next best thing - methanol. Now being that I decided to run actual duty cycle injectors and not traditional methanol nozzles I decided to use the JB4 to control the methanol PI injectors as I could make changes on the fly and in theory "shorten" my tuning period based on datalogs that were easily and readily obtainable on the street via the JB4 app. Don't get me wrong, the JB4 was great as I could monitor all my parameters while driving and could fine tune things on the fly, hell, I could even up the boost to a kill map without having to reflash. It was convenient, no doubt. The problem with the JB4 I found was that as flash tuning grew over the last 2 years, less and less people supported the JB4, no one wanted to make a BEF, or really put in as much effort as they do with a true flash tune because of the fact that the JB4 would be inconsistent not just in different ambient conditions, but even on the same day on back to back pulls. One pull your boost and fueling would be right on target, and the next you might be down 2 PSI, or over boosting on the hit which would throw off your entire pull. It was a great device when flash tuning didn't exist, but I can say I'm glad I decided to switch and won't be looking back.

As I said in an earlier post, a couple weeks ago I started chatting with a few tuners discussing power goals, what it would require me to switch to flash only, and the benefits of flash only vs JB4. Long story short, almost all of them said that I was over complicating my setup now that the XDI-35 (and other HPFPs) are available for the F-Series N55. Port injection is really no longer required and charge pipe methanol is all I would need to max out the PS2 turbo. In short to transition to flash only I would really only need a stand-alone meth system which in this case I chose the AEM 30-3300 because of my previous familiarity with the kit and seeing it used in a lot of high horsepower builds. I've gone from six 550cc injectors in each intake runner to a single CM10 positioned right at the intercooler outlet. I continue to run 100% methanol through the system and it seems to be working quite well.

After reviewing a few tuners portfolios I decided to tune with F80Paul @ Paul Johnson Tunes. He's set a few records on the S55 and I was able to find a couple PS2 N55's he's tuned that made similar horsepower to me and their dyno graphs were a hell of a lot smoother than my JB4 22 PSI map dyno. Another thing which made my choose F80Paul over the rest was his response time. Paul himself reviews all the tunes and makes changes but has a crew of people who tell you when the update has been pushed out. More often that not my e-mail was replied to by Paul himself, but sometimes when he was busy on the dyno / reviewing a lot of logs one of his employees would reply to me stating Paul had pushed an update. I would do my logs every night, and by noon the next day I would have an update - no time wasted. I just finished up my third revision with F80Paul and I suspect this will be the last. I'm currently targeting 21.5 PSI and running 11 degrees of ignition advance up top. This is on Husky 94 Octane + 100% Methanol with a CM10 nozzle. I have had zero codes, zero hiccups, and the car is predictable pull after pull. The car feels insanely fast, faster than when I had a good 22 PSI pull in the JB4, and overall feels like it's in a much better state. Torque comes on smooth, mid range power feels straight savage, and the best part of it all - it feels controllable and manageable in every way.

Here's one of my datalogs from todays revision - ambient temperature was nearly 30 degrees celsius.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ec6...2smsJmW5NTQa7s

I will be dyno'ing again once I finish tuning - just waiting for Paul to review the last set of logs to see if we are done. I will also be installing a Turbosmart Plumb Back VR11 diverter valve to replace my DV+ as well as the full metal PureTurbos inlet to replace my V2 inlet over the next couple days.
Yes, glad to see you "back on track" and keep marching with the N55 M2 platform!

For the record, not to sound like I'm against JB4...actually I used JB4 a lot in the past with my other BMWs. It made everything 10 times easier compared to flash at high boost back in days when raising load target was difficult. Literally, only one or two weeks turns everyone from a beginer into a tuner...

Paul is a great guy. He thanked me for reaching out in 2018 and told me his focus was on the S55 at that time.

Your log is execellent, especially I'm amazed by how smooth the boost behavior is in the shifting (better than my car in this area). Haven't seen the N55 log this good in a long time, no mention with bigger turbo going on 21psi. It's pretty much dialed in already as is.

It's a blessing to have access to high octane in Canada, but I guess anyway you have the meth support for that.

Looking forward to see your further updates!

Thanks!
      05-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #165
Insane_Dawe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 White ZCP M3

Logs looks great.
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      06-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #166
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Installed the TurboSmart DV11 full plumb back diverter valve. I replaced my DV+ with the TurboSmart unit. For reference I was never running the main spring with the DV+, I ran it in OEM configuration. The install is a pain in the ass - patience is key here. It's fully doable on jack stands, that's how I did it. It's no more difficult than the DV+ install - they're both not fun lol. Move the water pump out of the way, remove the intercooler, move the steering rack and sway bar - you'll thank me later as you'll have a lot more wiggle room to get to those three bolts.

First impression of the TurboSmart DV11 is that it's significantly more responsive during transient throttle driving. I feel like the spool up time when I'm on and off throttle is reduced as the DV11 doesn't fully vent all the pressure immediately, but rather gradually vents it resulting in smoother and faster spool up during part throttle application. I imagine this is how the DV+ would have felt if I ran the main spring, I really wish I did have it installed so this could be a true apples to apples comparison, but oh well. As for sounds... I did the full plumb back model and have a CTS Turbo intake, the DV+ was quite loud before and you could definitely hear the turbo spool up and the DV+ vent, the same is true with the VR11, the only difference is the re-circulation sound is reduced when you come off the throttle, and I imagine this is fully to do with the fact that its a slow vent as opposed to an immediate dump. Great plug and play product that full replaces the OEM DV!

I also replaced my tail lights over the weekend with the LCI tail lights. I LED bulb swapped the original non-LCI tail lights, but the diffused look of the LCI tails was what won me over. Super simple swap as I followed a guide posted on the 2-Series board. Move the pins over to the new connector, do a bit of coding with Bimmercode and you're set. Here's a picture of the comparison between the two tail lights...

Finally I installed a rear camber lock out kit myself and a friend have been working on. Having tracked my car multiple times at our local track, and doing quite a bit of spirited driving and wrenching on the vehicle, I noticed that my rear camber bolts had actually moved from their original positions compared to where they were during my last alignment. I marked the bolts originally after the alignment was performed with a paint marker and the marks were no longer aligned. I can only assume this is normal "failure" of an eccentric bolt setup where the only thing keeping the bolt from twisting and moving is the physical torque spec of the bolt. It's not by much, maybe 1/8 of a turn, but any bit of movement obviously throws out the alignment of the vehicle. I have access to a laser and measured out the OEM bolt and created a few shims that would "lock out" the bolt from turning, but yet provide multiple adjustment positions for situations where you might want to dial in different rear camber options.

Here's a few photos of the lock outs we've made - I've been rocking them on my car for multiple weeks now and it's felt incredibly solid. Best of all, there’s effectively zero chance for my camber to come out of spec. The only way is if the shim or bolt itself were to fail. Another bonus was that I was actually able to return to my original alignment with the shims by sliding the appropriate offset shim in between the eccentric bolt and the LCA and making sure that the paint marker line matched. After that was done I swapped out the eccentric bolt for some new OEM spec hardware and I was good to go. Super happy that I was able to swap the hardware and not need to pay for another alignment! Anyway, here are some photo’s of the rear camber lock out kit.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #167
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Finally wrapped up tuning with Paul Johnson. We probably would have been done a lot sooner if it weren't for the weird XDI-35 "stumble" issue at light load that a lot of users seem to experience. The second I let Paul know I was having a weird light load stumble he focused strictly on that and "paused" WOT tuning because he wanted to nail that issue as first priority. He assured me that this stumble was not at all harmful to the vehicle, it was simply an area of the tune that needed improvement for smooth drive-ability purposes and it seems to be a quirk with XDI-35 HPFP's and larger turbos. I'm quite happy that he was able to put in so many revisions into nailing the issue and fixing it completely.

As far as "power" WOT revisions, I went through a total of six with Paul and we ended up at 22.5 - 23 PSI of boost with 11 degrees of timing up top. Here's one of my last datalogs with Paul. I forgot to use the auto log feature and ended the log a little later than usual - the pull is in the very beginning of the log. Just note, pre-throttle boost is what the car is actually seeing. The Boost Target logging channel is maxed out at 22.4 PSI due to it being the OEM sensor on the intake manifold.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ee1...90c60e5f8b2e84

My opinion on switching to Bootmod3 over JB4/BEF stack is unchanged since my previous post regarding the switch. Best thing I've ever done - JB4 never again

Last edited by Endeav; 06-11-2020 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 3
ZM22785.00
      06-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #168
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Finally wrapped up tuning with Paul Johnson. Probably would have been done a lot sooner if it weren't for the weird XDI-35 "stumble" issue at light load that a lot of users seem to experience. Luckily Paul was able to alleviate that issue after a few revisions focusing strictly light load.
That's great news. So the stumble is 100% gone now? Can you drive around and check back in a few days or a week or two to confirm? If so, I might have Paul tune my car.
      06-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #169
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
That's great news. So the stumble is 100% gone now? Can you drive around and check back in a few days or a week or two to confirm? If so, I might have Paul tune my car.
I've been with the "stumble fix" (for lack of a better reference) for about a week already and its 100% gone. I haven't been able to recreate it honestly and I've tried my hardest to. Paul's a great guy and super responsive - I honestly have absolutely nothing negative to say, only positive!
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #170
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Finally wrapped up tuning with Paul Johnson. We probably would have been done a lot sooner if it weren't for the weird XDI-35 "stumble" issue at light load that a lot of users seem to experience. The second I let Paul know I was having a weird light load stumble he focused strictly on that and "paused" WOT tuning because he wanted to nail that issue as first priority. He assured me that this stumble was not at all harmful to the vehicle, it was simply an area of the tune that needed improvement for smooth drive-ability purposes and it seems to be a quirk with XDI-35 HPFP's and larger turbos. I'm quite happy that he was able to put in so many revisions into nailing the issue and fixing it completely.

As far as "power" WOT revisions, I went through a total of six with Paul and we ended up at 22.5 - 23 PSI of boost with 11 degrees of timing up top. Here's one of my last datalogs with Paul. I forgot to use the auto log feature and ended the log a little later than usual - the pull is in the very beginning of the log. Just note, pre-throttle boost is what the car is actually seeing. The Boost Target logging channel is maxed out at 22.4 PSI due to it being the OEM sensor on the intake manifold.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ee1...90c60e5f8b2e84

My opinion on switching to Bootmod3 over JB4/BEF stack is unchanged since my previous post regarding the switch. Best thing I've ever done - JB4 never again
Question for you: the MAF on your logs and mine both stop at 43.4 lb/min, but you’re definitely pushing more power.

Is this something baked into the MAF sensor for our cars, or how BM3 reads it? I’ve seen other BM3 logs on high HP cars go into the 50’s.
Appreciate 1
Anthony1s755.50
      06-15-2020, 01:48 AM   #171
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Question for you: the MAF on your logs and mine both stop at 43.4 lb/min, but you’re definitely pushing more power.

Is this something baked into the MAF sensor for our cars, or how BM3 reads it? I’ve seen other BM3 logs on high HP cars go into the 50’s.
Hmm, that's a very good question and I'm honestly not sure. Looking back at my logs, even in my base map when I was running significantly less boost it seems to peg 43.4 lb/min and not go any higher.

I unfortunately don't have an answer for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 04:44 AM   #172
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Finally got around to installing the new headlights I had built. I had them built by a local business - Tom @ WinnipegHID is a stand up guy and was able to complete the build in a timely manner while keeping it clean. He was able to hide all of the new drivers and wiring inside the actual headlight so everything looks OEM inside the engine bay. Nothing extra hanging around or visible. I used BavGruppe components and had Tom @ WinnipegHID black out the OEM housing. It's a mixture of gloss and matte black on different parts of the headlight. It's quite difficult to get a good photo of the paint without the lens reflection. The new LED brow and halos are incredibly bright, and the added demon eye adds for a nice "mean" touch to the front end. All OEM functions are retained, and no codes were thrown!

Look forward to your opinions on the headlights.

Woahhhh who made that lip?!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #173
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Hmm, that's a very good question and I'm honestly not sure. Looking back at my logs, even in my base map when I was running significantly less boost it seems to peg 43.4 lb/min and not go any higher.

I unfortunately don't have an answer for you.
Cary Jordan's working on my Stg 2+ E45 tune with my Dinan turbo and he just mentioned to me that 43.4 lb/min is a limitation of the MAF, but it doesn't really matter for tuning since the MAF is mostly used for idle and part throttle.

So, no biggie, but that 'ol adage of 10x lb/min MAF values = estimated engine HP doesn't work for us, and obviously not for you!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #174
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
Woahhhh who made that lip?!
It's made by UniqCarbon - you can request any of their items be made in the "forged" carbon layout as opposed to regular weave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Cary Jordan's working on my Stg 2+ E45 tune with my Dinan turbo and he just mentioned to me that 43.4 lb/min is a limitation of the MAF, but it doesn't really matter for tuning since the MAF is mostly used for idle and part throttle.

So, no biggie, but that 'ol adage of 10x lb/min MAF values = estimated engine HP doesn't work for us, and obviously not for you!
Good to know. Thanks for clearing that up!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #175
kmnc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 V8 4.4L

Hello Endeav,
I newly moved to winnipeg, and i am in a bit of a fix with my 2011 BMW X5. wanted to touchbase with you for some quick advice. I joined this forum just now in the hope of finding a solution after almost going around town in vain and being ripped for not knowing.

P.S: Dear Forum members, kindly bear with me if i have used a wrong forum to post/request...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 08:58 PM   #176
ConnorFic
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

This build is mega and I love the lights! Front and rear look killer!
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50