BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Good tutorial for coding F87 M2?

04-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus RS (RIP), C43 AMG

Good tutorial for coding F87 M2?

Hey all,

Once all the viral madness subsides, I'm picking up an LBB '18 LCI and one of the first things I'd like to do is to do a bit of coding, specifically the M4 GTS code for the steering and diff. Yeah, I need some distractions because I'm waiting not so patiently for my new baby!

Are there any good tutorials for this kind of coding? I'm not the most tech savvy individual ever, so the more prepared I can be, the better.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Daniel
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
The easiest way to go about it would be the THOR app and Bimmercode

However, if you are tech-savvy and want to save money and DIY it all you can youtube some ESYS tutorials as well as google search some related bimmerpost forum posts and find all the related info you need there.
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post

However, if you are tech-savvy and want to save money and DIY it all you can youtube some ESYS tutorials as well as google search some related bimmerpost forum posts and find all the related info you need there.
Thanks, Andrew. I saw many posts but never any "starting" place. Once I get up and running, there is plenty, like you said. Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drledford93 View Post
Quote:

Thanks, Andrew. I saw many posts but never any "starting" place. Once I get up and running, there is plenty, like you said. Thanks for the tips!
If you're a novice at coding in features, the Bimmercode APP is the best place to start..

Its pretty intuitive and is so easy, a caveman can use it. And judging by some primitive attitude of some of the members here, I'm guessing some actual neanderthal do utilize it.

ESYS is not for freshmen, it's more suited for experts, in the field.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
If you're a novice at coding in features, the Bimmercode APP is best place to start..

Its pretty intuitive and is so easy, a caveman can use it. And judging by some primitive attitude of some of the members here, I'm guessing some actual cavemen do utilize it.

Thanks. Can the M4 GTS code be done through bimmercode? Or must one go through esys to do that?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
If you're a novice at coding in features, the Bimmercode APP is best place to start..

Its pretty intuitive and is so easy, a caveman can use it. And judging by some primitive attitude of some of the members here, I'm guessing some actual cavemen do utilize it.

Thanks. Can the M4 GTS code be done through bimmercode? Or must one go through esys to do that?
Unfortunately, you'll need ESYS for that; all the required modules for that change is not accessible with Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #7
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, you'll need ESYS for that; all the required modules for that change is not accessible with Bimmercode.
Gotcha. I thought that was the case. Was just reading up on Thor, as their flash (easy, no coding, just PNP) seems to be the GTS code (6MT). Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drledford93;26028325.[/QUOTE
Gotcha. I thought that was the case. Was just reading up on Thor, as their flash (easy, no coding, just PNP) seems to be the GTS code (6MT). Thanks for the help!
If you're not tracking the car and you want to power slide around corners for fun (without turning traction control completely off) you'll want to use the M2C MDM mode, not the GTS. From my experience (and a few other people I have spoken to) it works better for that purpose. You can still use the GTS GHAS and EPS settings as they can all be set independently of one another.
      04-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #9
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If you're not tracking the car and you want to power slide around corners for fun (without turning traction control completely off) you'll want to use the M2C MDM mode, not the GTS. From my experience (and a few other people I have spoken to) it works better for that purpose. You can still use the GTS GHAS and EPS settings as they can all be set independently of one another.
Thanks. Me personally, I LOVE initial turn in. That's what I was crazy about in my Focus RS. From what I have read, the gts code did that via the diff. I'm not necessarily about the car being loose. I'm not planning on tracking the car, just hitting the back roads and exit/entrance ramps hard.
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
Fedorov160.50
      04-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #10
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep

What are GHAS and EPS?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #11
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
What are GHAS and EPS?
GHAS - Geregelte Hinter Achsgetriebe Sperre (Regulated Rear Axle Differential Lock)

EPS - Electronic Power Steering
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
cactusjack
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saturn Outlook

Hey Daniel, please let me know how it goes once you get around to it. I would like to learn about how easy ( or difficult) it is to start with coding for an M2.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #13
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
The hardest part of coding is getting all the junk installed and navigating all the gatekeeping nonsense that seems to exist.

Here are my hopefully simplified instructions: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post26123409

They include installation as well as use. Let me know if you need any other help!
Appreciate 0