BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs. Mini John Cooper Works

01-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
Ewc
Rep
Drives: Mini Clubman JCW

M2 vs. Mini John Cooper Works

Hey all, I currently own a 2012 Mini Clubman JCW and was wondering if anyone has switched to an M2 coming from Mini ownership. I enjoy the pep and nimbleness of my Mini around town, but I'm looking to upgrade after owning my car for 6.5 years.

I see lots of reviewers complaining that the M2 has a noisy harsh ride. I can't imagine the M2 is any harsher than an R56/55 Mini with run flat tires. I upgraded the Mini's shocks to Koni FSDs, and find the ride acceptable.

I briefly test drove an M2 Comp, and the ride felt fine to me, but I didn't get to take it on a variety of road surfaces. I also found the Comp's steering quite good. Many people still complain about lack of steering feel, but the Comp's steering felt very precise and nimble to me. I felt that I could place the car very well while driving around the narrow test drive route. Maybe I'm just used to the Mini's electric rack, but I enjoyed the Comp's steering and handling. Then again, steering feel in the Mini has never been an issue for me. My other car is a 996 C4S cab, which supposedly has amazing steering feel, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on much feel when I hop between the Mini and 996.

If anyone has experience comparing the Mini to the M2 (OG or Comp), I'd appreciate it. I'm most interested in harshness (or not) of the suspension, and highway noise. The OG M2 is currently in my price range, but I could wait an extra year for the Comp prices to come down. So both OG and Comp are currently on my shopping list.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
SoCalDodgy
Rep
Drives: M2C & MINI R56S

Hi, Ewc, I think your notes from your test drive are spot on. I've owned and daily driven my 2011 MCS R56 N18 since 2010. I also went the Koni FSD route, while switching to non-runflat tires many years ago. Even with those changes, I'd say the M2C is a little bit "less harsh" than the Mini. I'm still in the break-in period on the M2C, but it's definitely a bigger, heavier car, but a bit more forgiving of road imperfections--although you still want to avoid them as best you can. I haven't done anything to adjust the artificial engine sound in the M2C, but I think it masks road noise, especially in Sport or Sport+, but I don't find the M2C that noisy or loud cruising at highway speeds. I was after more power, and I got that in spades, and have been very happy with the transition from the MINI--if you decide to go that route, based on your opinions above, I think you will be, too. G'luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

I drive both a 2013 jcw and a 2018 m2 every week. My mini(doesn't have run flats) is definitely more supple than the m2(on lowering springs). Steering wise I'd say I feel more in the m2 but like i said it is stiffer. M2 is 100% more fun but i still really enjoy how the mini drives as well. Both great cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #4
Scrape
Car Guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I drive a 2016 Cooper 3 door JCW as well as a 2018 M2 and I personally find that the M2 rides softer than the JCW. Tires make a huge difference IMO. Runflats give a very harsh ride compared to a standard tire.
      01-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #5
Ewc
Rep
Drives: Mini Clubman JCW

Thanks all! This is the exact feedback from Mini owners that I was looking for.

I actually just test drove a CPO manual 2018 OG M2 today at a local dealer. Road chatter, bumps and expansion joints are definitely more muted vs. the JCW, which is a good thing. However, I did notice that the M2's steering feel was a bit numb this time around. I didn't note the numbness as much in the Comp that I drove a few weeks ago, but then again, I was specifically paying attention to road feel on this test drive. Not a huge deal, as I still felt the steering was precisely responding to my inputs.

The N55 was also interesting. I was driving in Sport mode and it felt a bit sluggish down low. Once it got revving past 3000-4000 rpm, the power did pile on. The M2 is obviously a lot faster than my JCW, but I'm used to the Mini's power immediately punching strong down low, and then dropping off at higher rpms. The N55 is the opposite. A bit slower to build, but then kicking in at higher rpms.

The Comp that I test drove was a DCT, but it seemed to rev quicker and harder than the N55. I may need to test drive a manual Comp to see the difference between the N55 and S55 engine characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

My friend has a JCW clubman, fun little car. I think his is a 2011 maybe? I know its a second gen of the newer minis.

I don't think the M2 rides that much worse, I use mine as a daily in seattle where the streets are not very good. It's fine, I'm more worried about damaging the wheels than anything else, the ride is firm but totally livable.

The S55 in the M2C has some turbo lag down low as well, though the different drive modes make a big difference. I usually drive mine around in eco mode, where the engine feels very old school in its characteristics. You have to dig a bit for the power, but once it comes on, its very explosive and revvy right up to the 7600 RPM redline. There's way less lag in sport or sport + but I find the lag kind of charming.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:31 PM   #7
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I had three JCW’s before my M2, and I found the M2 to be more comfortable, quieter, practical, powerful, and more fun.

The only things I miss from my JCW’s are zipping in & out of tight traffic and parallel parking.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #8
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

N55 is the opposite most people would say and on the Dyno. It is known to develop low down torque, coming in at 2,200 rpm it feel like on my car.

Will rev modestly high but hit a wall fairly quickly of any more power.

M2C people tend to say does not have as good low down torque as N55 but everywhere else beats it esp at the top end.
Appreciate 0