BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Replacing wiper fluid pump in my F22 228i

05-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
hyytekk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport

Replacing wiper fluid pump in my F22 228i

My windshield wiper pump just stopped working and only when I started to do some research did I see the warning about not using certain washer fluid solutions. Too late. Anyway, I bought a new pump and filter screen and watched the few videos online regarding how to access and replace a failed pump. Unfortunately, the few online videos show the three series. It's a real blister and poster child for poor design because you need to remove the front passenger wheel and unscrew the wheel well protective panels first. The washer fluid tank that the pump is mounted in is tucked behind the forward body panel. I got that far, but unfortunately, there seems to be some differences in the placement and design in the F22 vs the three series models. The videos show the owners just removing one 10mm screw and tilting the reservoir forward to access the bad pump. Has anyone attempted this maneuver in the two series? It appears the base of the tank is anchored which is one difference and totally inaccessible, as far as I can see. It also seems to be attached at the top to the input feed where you add the fluid. Logically it would seem you need to unfasten that feed tube also before the tank would allow you to tilt it forward. I don't want to snap or crack the tank itself to create a whole new problem. I've seen ridiculous repair quotes online to fix something so simple on any other car and as many simple fixes it's just time and labor intensive if you're aware of the correct sequence and simple tricks. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I have a 2015 228i.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 06:38 PM   #2
iRasF87
Private
Rep
Drives: MG_'17Ⓜ2

What did you end up doing to fix the washer fluid pump? I tried to access the reservoir but not finding a solution (I have a M2 so the fitment should be similar to yours).
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 06:52 PM   #3
hyytekk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport

It's not rocket science just labor intensive. First you need to jack the car up. Then remove the front right tire, if I recall. Please double check the location on yours. Then you must remove that wheel well lining. Simple, just have the appropriate tools. Don't recall if it's Torx screws or Allen heads or ratchet heads. but you'll see under there. There might be other threads noting the tools so you'll have them all before you start. The wiper fluid container is in a narrow reservoir wedged between the cars metal body. You slide that out and the fluid pump is a small plastic part located in the bottom of the reservoir. Then it's just unplug it, replace and reassemble. The pump was only a few dollars. Sorry I'm not giving exact instructions, just hopped in my car from a long plane ride. Again, it's a bozo engineering move to locate that assembly where they did but so be it. It takes some patience and labor but really wasn't technical or difficult. Hope that helps at least a little.
Appreciate 0