BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance Coilover Setting

05-19-2020, 05:10 AM   #1
micrsx
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

M Performance Coilover Setting

I have been struggling with my MPC and have difficulty finding a setting that suits me and makes me feel confident and control.

Mind sharing your current setting and the philosophy behind? Is the front stiffer than the rear or vice version better? When we are talking about stiffness, we harden the compression or rebound?

Factory default setting as follow:

Front:
Rebound 9 open
Compression 6 open

Rear:
Rebound 12 open
Compression 6 open

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:03 AM   #2
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Factory settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

I started with factory street settings on 19" wheels/tyres

Tried track settings on the street and it was a bit firm so backed off the fronts towards street settings and rears, one notch down for B&R settings.

Switched to 18" wheels on MPSS 245&265/40/18 then had the car fettled by Center Gravity (CG) - see thread in the link below

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1633253

Post fettling by CG, my car's damper settings (18" 245/265 MPSS tyres @ 31psi cold)

Front axle
Rebound 11 clicks open
Compression 7 clicks open

Rear axle
Rebound 8 clicks open
Compression 6 clicks open

Dampers set harder in the rear than the front for 2 reasons:-

1. When assessing compression/suspension travel with all dampers set too full soft, Chris @ CG was amazed at how firm MPC front springs were. Hence, less bump dialed in as springs don't need as much support due to their stiffness. Conversely, less rebound to balance between enough weight transfer, limited body movement and optimising compliance to ensure tyre contact patch consistency.

2. The concept of bumpstops being secondary spring effectively means that they prohibit spring travel/damper stroke which, when c/w ride height, maybe sub-optimal when expecting suspension to remain effective at managing tyre contact patch/compliance. This was the case with my car, in the rear it showed evidence of bumpstop contact. With dampers set too full soft, rear MPC spring rates are less than the front. Therefore, rear needs more support from the dampers ie higher bump setting and more rebound to re-settle springs quicker.

For trackdays, if need be, increase rebound stiffness in 2 click increments F&R and gauge how the car feels.

Works very well.

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I would try these suggested setting from Bee Pee - COG is very well known for suspension setup in the UK.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=37
Appreciate 0