BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > BMW M2 CS Gets 450 HP (Specs and Info From Exclusive Preview Event)

09-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #133
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I can disclose that I settled for exactly 1 glass of pear juice. Question for you dgm3 about vision: as it seems that you saw things without crowd during the day (hours before the event started), don't tell me that you missed the Very Interesting Night that your eyes could have witnessed ?
Glad you eventually disclosed something
May understand your position in not disclosing info following your personal discussions with BMW people. Looks however a bit overkill to me since nearly all the info provided in the preview were actually already on the net. Price tag (or rather its best current estimate) was the only new element for me aside minor things like the non foldable back seats and different climate control unit. So the discussion here is essentially about the visual perception of the car during the event/preview and the value for money. Nobody doubt that it will be an even better car on the road than the M2C.

To clarify another point, I did not have any kind of special preview in advance. The way BMW organized the whole event was a little bit strange since it was possible to already preview the car in the morning/afternoon preceeding the night show. As a very interested customer I just arrived at the earliest time possible (i.e. 10:15 AM). I was not alone, few other customers (some with deposits) being already there. I really enjoyed the quiet atmosphere at that early time and the availability of BMW people to answer questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #134
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Dear forum fellows,
This message to inform you that earlier this evening, people in charge of the M2 CS preview event in Brussels (BMW Belux) did not authorize me to disclose information about the M2 CS on display.
At the beginning of the event, I reached out to people in charge of this event to ask them whether they would mind that, after the event, I'd post a detailed write-up on Bimmerpost about the M2 CS on display. I ensured that I would not take pictures.
In a courteous conversation they explained that they did not want me to disclose information. They expressed their appreciation that I had reached out to them with my request. One of them gave me his business card.
I understand their point of view and will respect their decision. As a guest with good manners, I am grateful for having had the opportunity to see the M2 CS up close and will abide/observe the host's non-disclosure decision. I will share my thoughts at a later stage (after the official M2 CS release).
Sorry, but it is what it is. Let's respect that.
Cheers,
-A-
Are you going to consider the M2CS based on what you saw?
      09-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #135
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoilt666 View Post
Just back home from the event in Brussels.
The exposed car was in Misano Blue with gold wheels & red callipers.
should have just named it m2 hot wheels edition
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      09-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #136
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I don't see what all the negativity is about, other than it desperately needed to be lighter. All the parts they threw on the car were already well-engineered, I mean, makes perfect sense to me. I'm sure if someone was to total up the amount of adding all those parts it'd be quite a bit higher than the MSRP of the CS.

Now, if it had been a stripped down CSL @ 2,999 lbs we'd have issues...
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2430.50
cptobvious2531.50
      09-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #137
Jimmle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I don't see what all the negativity is about, other than it desperately needed to be lighter. All the parts they threw on the car were already well-engineered, I mean, makes perfect sense to me. I'm sure if someone was to total up the amount of adding all those parts it'd be quite a bit higher than the MSRP of the CS.
Now, if it had been a stripped down CSL @ 2,999 lbs we'd have issues...
Agree think it will be a great car and will be a big upgrade from my LCI subject to getting build slot!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #138
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
So how much weight reduction does the M2 CS have from the M2 C?
Why is this top secret? This is the main goal and I doubt the BMW shaved off more than 60 lbs.
On other note I was reading my SAE Automotive Engineering Magazine and they mention the 4th gen Wrangler weighs 92 kg (203 lb) less compared to the previous generation. This is awesome.
So Jeep can shave off 203 lbs on a non performance vehicle and BMW cannot on their performance vehicle were weight really matters?? And no 60 lbs is not a huge weight reduction for a $20k price jump.
I agree!
However, my main concern is they could not reduce that much weight, so that is why no advertising on that...otherwise car manufacturers always let you know this among other highlights…

But I think people are expecting to much of these competition / cs versions. They won't spend to much in R&D for an already 6 year old and outgoing platform...these „special edition" are there to still attract buyers for relatively „old" cars. So you see a lot of things coming from the aftermarket divisions that is now coming as factory setup.

It's all about getting rid of parts not needed anymore soon(outgoing M4) and in creating some budget for next gen development.

It is a nice package, but imo to much money for something you can build on your own and the platform is just to old now that I personally would not spend the extra money. If you want a track car, there will be the racing version, but if I wan't a daily for going on track from time to time, then I don't want to miss some practical features, that they are removing here with the CS...but still not making it a track car...

So my hope is they do not mess up the next gen M2 to much with the kidneys, if they do, my BMW era is (probably, or it maybe grows on me )ending with my current one...time will tell
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #139
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
How many of you that went to the preview plan to put an order in?
Great question!
      09-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #140
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
But the 1m was so successful ,
Looks like this old bulletin was pretty spot on::
Successful because it was cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
This is not like the 1M, IMO.
The difference is that the M2 CS and M2C are essentially similar. The M2CS just adds cosmetics and light power to the package.
The 1M, as compared to the previous 135, was very different dynamically (suspension, steering, brakes, body panels, etc etc etc) as well as being manual only, no sunroof, etc.
Also the 1M was the cheapest M car EVER offered ($47K and limited production). This M2CS isn't 'cheap' or even affordable at all.
I would say the OG M2 was the closest philosophical car to the 1M; except they made a bazillion of them and offered transmission choices etc which took it away from the singular vision.
All the M2s are good, though...
Suspension, steering, wheels, brakes were from the M3 - I thought they even re-used body panels on the 1 series chassis.... either way, it was a parts bin car but yes, it was cheap and the M2CS is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Definitely underwhelming. Total parts bin car. It is looking more and more like a next gen M3 is in my future.
lol have you seen the prototypes? It looks bigger than the current 5 series - its ridiculous

Why can't BMW make a 3000 lb sports car...I do NOT get it
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #141
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Except for the small detail of a completely different motor.
...and the fact that the M2C MSRP was less than $5,000 more.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #142
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I'm surprised that no one thinks the adaptive suspension is a substantial upgrade. In my opinion this could be significant improvement in making this car more track capable while not sacrificing any further DD comfort. That's a real win. It's not an easy task to accomplish. Improvement in one direction usually makes the car shittier in the other.

As predicted they appear to have targeted the 981 GT4 ring time. This is a car that is not a purpose built 2 seat sports car. Pretty incredible. Add to that the minimum mods it seems to require to obliterate the the factory lap time.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
cptobvious2531.50
      09-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #143
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Remove your rear seats, passenger seat, carpeting, insulation, HVAC, and audio/idrive...should get you to ~3000 with an 1/8 tank of gas
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #144
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm a 'fair play' kind of person. 'Foul play' ain't my thing.
I agree with this to a high degree, but as a moderator of this forum, I would expect a little more give on the blatantly subjective items.

Is it worth? Would you buy it? Did you put down a deposit? Answering questions like that doesn't disclose any information about what was seen. Is there more at stake here than meets the eye???
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #145
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I hate to put it this bluntly, but BMW doesn't make Sports Cars, never have, they make GT cars, and the difference is marked.

Sports Car: 2-door, RWD, open top/targa, manual gearbox, basic idea of the car is fun through handling.

Which is pretty much the opposite of a Muscle Car.

And what's right in the middle? A GT (grand touring) Car, which is your BMW.

If you want a Sports Car look to the Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Lotus Elise/Exige, etc.
Appreciate 2
D22M21373.50
cptobvious2531.50
      09-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #146
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Great question!
To put an order was impossible since there is no exact price yet. However to reserve one with a deposit was possible and that's just what I did.
As soon as prices have been fixed you will be able to order.

Last edited by Pol; 09-18-2019 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #147
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm surprised that no one thinks the adaptive suspension is a substantial upgrade. In my opinion this could be significant improvement in making this car more track capable while not sacrificing any further DD comfort. That's a real win. It's not an easy task to accomplish. Improvement in one direction usually makes the car shittier in the other.
As predicted they appear to have targeted the 981 GT4 ring time. This is a car that is not a purpose built 2 seat sports car. Pretty incredible. Add to that the minimum mods it seems to require to obliterate the the factory lap time.
For reals, I've been holding out for an M2 with Adaptive Suspension, since the M4 is too large for my style and the roads where I live looks like a war zone.

I love the concept of manually toggling the dampers mapping and even when I'm not, the system works in tandem with the braking and DSC to avoid pitch, roll and overall stability.

I know BMW just loves to save a buck and they are no dummies, if they added Adaptive Suspension to the CS, there is a rhyme behind the reason. I look forward to the reviews on handling to confirm my suspension.

Why no Adaptive M suspension in M2C? https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1497961
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #148
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Well, for my street/DD purposes the M2C is perfect. That said, even though I am not going to buy a M2CS, I'm still very happy M is building it. I'm even happier that it is being offered with a MT. Hell, if I had extra garage space and limitless funds, I'd buy a MT M2CS just to increase the MT uptake by one person.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
seis-speed2430.50
      09-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #149
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaan View Post
I agree!
However, my main concern is they could not reduce that much weight, so that is why no advertising on that...otherwise car manufacturers always let you know this among other highlights…
Regarding the weight I asked twice. First time I was told that BMW does not claim any saving for this car (vs the M2C). I asked again to another BMW person later and after checking his laptop he said weights look identical. I stealthily saw the screen and could read in 2 columns 1575 kg. If this a EU weight it would correspond to 1500 kg (a figure mentionned to another forum member) DIN, representing a 50 kg saving vs the M2C manual.
If 1575 kg is a DIN weight it could be a figure for the DCT version but in that case would just be identical to the M2C with DCT.

From what we know about the car I hardly see how they could have gained 50 kgs. I suspect that if there is any gain it is relatively modest and therefore not worth to advertise.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Deep1827.00
      09-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #150
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
For reals, I've been holding out for an M2 with Adaptive Suspension, since the M4 is too large for my style and the roads where I live looks like a war zone.
I love the concept of manually toggling the dampers mapping and even when I'm not, the system works in tandem with the braking and DSC to avoid pitch, roll and overall stability.
I know BMW just loves to save a buck and they are no dummies, if they added Adaptive Suspension to the CS, there is a rhyme behind the reason. I look forward to the reviews on handling to confirm my suspension.
Why no Adaptive M suspension in M2C? https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1497961
Agreed. I suspect this is going to "look" like an mperformance parts car, but the reviews are going to show that it is a real performer.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #151
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

Quote:
I hate to put it this bluntly, but BMW doesn't make Sports Cars, never have, they make GT cars, and the difference is marked.
Sports Car: 2-door, RWD, open top/targa, manual gearbox, basic idea of the car is fun through handling.
Odd statement. The Z3 & Z4 is a sports car by your own definition.
      09-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #152
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaan View Post
I agree!
Regarding the weight I asked twice. First time I was told that BMW does not claim any saving for this car (vs the M2C). I asked again to another BMW person later and after checking his laptop he said weights look identical. I stealthily saw the screen and could read in 2 columns 1575 kg. If this a EU weight it would correspond to 1500 kg (a figure mentionned to another forum member) DIN, representing a 50 kg saving vs the M2C manual.
If 1575 kg is a DIN weight it could be a figure for the DCT version but in that case would just be identical to the M2C with DCT.
From what we know about the car I hardly see how they could have gained 50 kgs. I suspect that if there is any gain it is relatively modest and therefore not worth to advertise.
Thanks for the detailed input
I agree, don't beleive that there is much weight loss that is worth mentioning, if any at all!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #153
Bimmercis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

CS does not really feel unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
Was definively not convinced by the combo blue paint /gold wheel/red caliper. Should definitely be a great car but the base price is high (95K Euro in Belgium) considering that it is mainly M performance and M4 competition bit and pieces added. Does not really feel unique.
I was also in Brussels last night and I fully agree! The high price of 95K does not justify the adjustments for the CS. You should actually buy an M2 competition and assemble the necessary parts. OK, then you don't have a 'real' CS... but still ...

In my opinion you have to be a real collector to purchase this CS. And I think that is exactly the target group that BMW has in mind for this car.
Appreciate 1
EthanEJC199.50
      09-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #154
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
Quote:
Odd statement. The Z3 & Z4 is a sports car by your own definition.
Well... the old ones at least, new ones don't have a manual, and the last two generations E89 and G29 are most definitely GT oriented.