BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Am I crazy for sticking with Super Sports over PS4s?

08-26-2022, 03:44 PM   #67
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I'm pretty sure it will beat the 660 and 71RS as a street tire. The AD08/AD08R (not RS) was a very good tire still and very very old.
Depends on what you call a street tire. They are all 200TW, and I've had the AD08R (the good one), and it wasn't nearly as good as the old 71R. I have never had the 615K, or the 660, but I have friends that swear by the new 660.

I don't think the AD09 is going to do anything but be quiet, heavy, wide, and last longer because it has more tread to start with, which means it'll squirm around more.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 03:47 PM   #68
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Depends on what you call a street tire. They are all 200TW, and I've had the AD08R (the good one), and it wasn't nearly as good as the old 71R. I have never had the 615K, or the 660, but I have friends that swear by the new 660.

I don't think the AD09 is going to do anything but be quiet, heavy, wide, and last longer because it has more tread to start with, which means it'll squirm around more.
A052 is basically category leading, so I don't underestimate Yokohama when it comes to this category of tire. This tire doesn't have to meet any Euro specs like the AD08RS did.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 09:01 PM   #69
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

I started a thread elsewhere on best tire for cold weather and there were some data posted that suggested all seasons weren't necessarily much better if at all. What I'm reading here, if in reading it correctly, is that maybe the PS4S remains grippy at lower temperatures than some other summer only tires. Is that correct? Is it a tire that is OK into the 30s (Fahrenheit) or lower?

Edited to add this piece of data:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #70
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
A052 is basically category leading, so I don't underestimate Yokohama when it comes to this category of tire. This tire doesn't have to meet any Euro specs like the AD08RS did.
Meh, the tire has no lasting power, it's a cheater tire, end of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
I started a thread elsewhere on best tire for cold weather and there were some data posted that suggested all seasons weren't necessarily much better if at all. What I'm reading here, if in reading it correctly, is that maybe the PS4S remains grippy at lower temperatures than some other summer only tires. Is that correct? Is it a tire that is OK into the 30s (Fahrenheit) or lower?
No Summer tire is supposed to be used under 42° F, as it literally changes the structure of the tire, and it'll never be the same. Can you do it? Sure. I've seen a LOT of Mustangs/Corvette's that come with Cup2's driving around on freezing days, but they have damaged the tire in a way that can't be fixed, so the grip will never be the same. I don't think the tire becomes dangerous, you just turn a $1800 set of tires into a $900 set of tires with regards to grip.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #71
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post

Edited to add this piece of data:
No, they are really bad even in the dry below whatever their glass transition temperature is. It may be 30F, it may be 20F, whatever it is, once you pass it, the grip is gone, even on dry.

Appreciate 1
bitcore106.50
      09-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #72
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
No Summer tire is supposed to be used under 42° F, as it literally changes the structure of the tire, and it'll never be the same. Can you do it? Sure. I've seen a LOT of Mustangs/Corvette's that come with Cup2's driving around on freezing days, but they have damaged the tire in a way that can't be fixed, so the grip will never be the same. I don't think the tire becomes dangerous, you just turn a $1800 set of tires into a $900 set of tires with regards to grip.
This is interesting.
How does cold temperature damage the tire? Does the compound simply break down when it encounters freezing temperatures? Does damage only occur when work is done to the tire under freezing conditions - meaning, will summer tires in freezing temperatures on the car, but not being driven, also damage the tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 02:11 PM   #73
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
This is interesting.
How does cold temperature damage the tire? Does the compound simply break down when it encounters freezing temperatures? Does damage only occur when work is done to the tire under freezing conditions - meaning, will summer tires in freezing temperatures on the car, but not being driven, also damage the tires?
The way it was explained to me was that Summer tire compounds do not stay pliant in temps under 42° so they have no choice but to develop micro cracks. The colder the temp, the larger the crack. So let's say you're driving around at 40° ambient, you're causing cracks until the tire gets above 42°. Now imagine you're not driving but your car is just parked in sub 40° temps, you're fine until the tire starts to lose air, at which point the tire will move, and cracks will form.

There is no way to store a Summer tire and have it retain 100% of the grip it currently has unless you store it over 42°, and under no circumstances should it be subjected to sub 32° temps.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 05:36 PM   #74
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
This is interesting.
Below the glass transition temperature, the rubber becomes hard and brittle. If cold enough, even storage is damaging. A few years ago there were a bunch of Corvettes parked outside at Bowling Green that were exposed to a few particularly cold days and the tires all had visible cracking.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 10:27 AM   #75
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

I am getting new tires this weekend. I'm going with PS4S 255/275 combo. They don't have stock size without waiting. I assume these fit and will be fine from what I've read. Is an alignment needed ?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 06:50 AM   #76
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
I am getting new tires this weekend. I'm going with PS4S 255/275 combo. They don't have stock size without waiting. I assume these fit and will be fine from what I've read. Is an alignment needed ?
No alignment needed for new tires assuming your current alignment is perfect
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 09:49 AM   #77
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

I went with the 255/275 PS4S combo. Its so nice to have traction again.
Appreciate 0