BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Getting jugged by the dealer (los angeles)

08-09-2023, 04:56 PM   #1
m2_dave_f87
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Getting jugged by the dealer (los angeles)

Hello Everyone,

New to this site, recommended by my boss.

Check engine light came on, code: P0461
Secondary DCT's : CF3A08
^Checked at Auto zone, "Most Likely Solution" is replacing the Fuel Gauge sending unit.

Went to the dealer, expired warranty sadly, total estimate is 2,800 (Mullholland BMW in Calabasas) to replace the entire Fuel Tank, because it will include the fuel sending unit that is failing which is on the side of the tank which can not be replaced alone apparently, compared to the other half.

I wanted to see if anyone on this forum could attest to if it is true about not being able to replace one fuel pump sending unit, and if anyone knows someone local that could do it, I am in the Van Nuys Area in Los Angeles County.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 03:14 PM   #2
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2_dave_f87 View Post
Hello Everyone,

New to this site, recommended by my boss.

Check engine light came on, code: P0461
Secondary DCT's : CF3A08
^Checked at Auto zone, "Most Likely Solution" is replacing the Fuel Gauge sending unit.

Went to the dealer, expired warranty sadly, total estimate is 2,800 (Mullholland BMW in Calabasas) to replace the entire Fuel Tank, because it will include the fuel sending unit that is failing which is on the side of the tank which can not be replaced alone apparently, compared to the other half.

I wanted to see if anyone on this forum could attest to if it is true about not being able to replace one fuel pump sending unit, and if anyone knows someone local that could do it, I am in the Van Nuys Area in Los Angeles County.

There are two fuel level senders, one on the LPFP (passenger side) and one on the driver's side of the fuel tank. If the driver side one is busted then you have to replace the entire tank unfortunately. It's not clear to me from the code which side is the one that is malfunctioning. If it's the passenger side then it'll be a lot easier and cheaper to fix...

You can potentially take it to an indie and have them get an ohm reading on the passenger side sensor (need to unplug it from the bottom of the top hat). If the sensor is working correctly then it should read at about 1,000 ohms when the fuel level arm is in its lowest position and about 5-6 ohms in the most upright position. If that side looks good then you'll have to replace the fuel tank.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage

Last edited by -Eidos; 08-10-2023 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 02:20 PM   #3
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I can't give any specific advice on the fuel sending unit, but I would strongly suggest taking the car to an independent shop instead of the dealership. Dealership work, in my experience, is vastly more expensive than an independent shop and usually of lower quality than a good, BMW specific independent shop. I would ask around for recommendations for a good shop near you.
Appreciate 0