BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How did your CSF intercooler fit?

04-12-2023, 05:09 AM   #45
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

For me I went bigger than the stocks bec the stock screws seems just right for the size and weight of the stock IC. The CSF on the other hand, is substantially heavier and the force that would exert on the screws would be significantly more specially when u hit the dips on the road. I went longer...and bigger (compared to stocks).
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS

Last edited by vrooooom; 04-12-2023 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 07:11 AM   #46
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
For me I went bigger than the stocks bec the stock screws seems just right for the size and weight of the stock IC. The CSF on the other hand, is substantially heavier and the force that would exert on the screws would be significantly more specially when u hit the dips on the road. I went longer...and bigger (compared to stocks).
So did CSF. The screws they provide are huge compared to stock, and work well, I just think they need a different head. Phillips heads are so 1989 for this sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 11:11 AM   #47
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Don’t recall having it but that’s good to know. Definitely an improvement. 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 12:14 PM   #48
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
PSA to everyone who has the CSF intercooler on their car - DO NOT use the old/original screws/washer combo that CSF gave us. It was installed perfectly on my buddies car and then the following happened:

The intercooler slipped off of its mount on the drivers side and punctured the coolant line right behind it. Everyone needs to upgrade the washers before they run this intercooler on their car. CSF, can y'all please make something rectangular to actually fully support this intercooler?
Attached Images

07-21-2023, 12:59 PM   #49
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
CSF, can y'all please make something rectangular to actually fully support this intercooler?
100%

It'd be so easy to get these made correctly. The new hardware will work, but it's not optimal.
Appreciate 1
samsamdar584.50
      07-21-2023, 01:42 PM   #50
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

No one crazy would read the whole long thread all about intercoolers but there’s a whole long list of people complaining about those tiny hardwares they’ve provided….for several years! Like the owner just didn’t care. Only this year they’ve started shipping with the thicker washers and probably more substantial screws. Come to think of it, really very disappointing that’s what they’ve provided. It’s better now but still has room for improvement imho. Unfortunately your buddy didn’t know about the solutions many had already posted. Myb his installer didn’t care about the install coz it’s pretty obvious it’s only a matter of time and something like that would happen. Hope it was just the hose.
Appreciate 1
samsamdar584.50
      07-24-2023, 09:34 AM   #51
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
No one crazy would read the whole long thread all about intercoolers but there’s a whole long list of people complaining about those tiny hardwares they’ve provided….for several years! Like the owner just didn’t care. Only this year they’ve started shipping with the thicker washers and probably more substantial screws. Come to think of it, really very disappointing that’s what they’ve provided. It’s better now but still has room for improvement imho. Unfortunately your buddy didn’t know about the solutions many had already posted. Myb his installer didn’t care about the install coz it’s pretty obvious it’s only a matter of time and something like that would happen. Hope it was just the hose.
I agree that his installer was definitely partially at fault here (this is why I do everything myself lol) but still, this is clearly a problem that CSF could avoid very easily
      07-24-2023, 09:55 AM   #52
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I agree that his installer was definitely partially at fault here (this is why I do everything myself lol) but still, this is clearly a problem that CSF could avoid very easily
My thing is, it's still a very popular intercooler, so why would they not come up with a proper solution? I guess they think that the hardware they supply now would have gone over fine if it had been supplied from the beginning, but I don't believe that. There is clearly a need for rectangle washers IMO.
Appreciate 1
vrooooom325.00
      07-24-2023, 08:32 PM   #53
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
My thing is, it's still a very popular intercooler, so why would they not come up with a proper solution? I guess they think that the hardware they supply now would have gone over fine if it had been supplied from the beginning, but I don't believe that. There is clearly a need for rectangle washers IMO.
100% agreed - what happened to my friends car is unacceptable for a product that costs $600
      07-24-2023, 09:06 PM   #54
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

IMO I believe the owner may just not care enough, otherwise would have done something already. I think the product is at least 5+ yrs old and the solution had been out there for soooo long. U really just need to produce it which is quite easy and doesn't cost all that much. Likely the sales number is already dwindling and he's got too many other products w/ much higher volumes to deal with. To his credit, the now thicker + larger washer is a step in the right direction.

But thanks to this (reminder), I think I'll go and check my install the next time I change my oil. Hopefully my solution's still holding on just fine.

2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS

Last edited by vrooooom; 07-24-2023 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 12:08 PM   #55
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
PSA to everyone who has the CSF intercooler on their car - DO NOT use the old/original screws/washer combo that CSF gave us. It was installed perfectly on my buddies car and then the following happened:

The intercooler slipped off of its mount on the drivers side and punctured the coolant line right behind it. Everyone needs to upgrade the washers before they run this intercooler on their car. CSF, can y'all please make something rectangular to actually fully support this intercooler?
Clearly overlooked in design. Should not be open ended like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 08:41 AM   #56
speedborn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 N55 M2, VW 2003 R32

CSF Intercooler and A/C condenser tight fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36M3 View Post
Mike@x-hp,
I had the exact same problem as the OP on a 2014 335i with the CSF intercooler. Passenger side lined up great but driver side caused misalignment and a twist in the plastic rail. You mentioned no figment issues on 3 series and wanted to let everyone know that was the case on my car. The intercooler on the drivers side was flush against the A/C condenser and wouldn’t come back any further to align with the mounting hole. I’m slightly concerned about the metal on metal contact but as tight as it ended up being I’m hoping there will not be any chaffing problems.
Hello,

I was trying to install my CSF Intercooler yesterday in a 2017 N55 M2.
The IC brackets on the passenger side were a pain to fit, I had to push it forward pretty hard to get it in place and the use the jackstand to raise the intercooler.
After finishing tighten the securing IC screws I notice no clearance between the IC and A/C condenser, so I removed the IC to see that the condenser suffered a considerable scuff (and probably damage).
I'm pretty clear now that trying to squeeze things by little or big force it is not the safest way...

Anyone with the same or similar problem and how did you solve the IC-Condenser clearance and IC bracket fitment to the plastic bottom bracket?

Thank you!

Last edited by speedborn; 08-28-2023 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 01:17 PM   #57
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

You don’t want to force that in there especially if there is an interference with another part. I’d suggest taking that out again and trying it all over. Usually the 2nd or 3rd time might be the charm. Jack stand is just for extra support, not to push it in place. I actually never used one. Get a buddy for an extra hand. I just went under and got my knee to also help support while I wiggle it in place. There’s a plastic rail
On both left and right sides. I remember that it kinda slides into that. Good luck. Make sure the clips for the pipes are engaged properly on the IC. No leak.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      08-28-2023, 03:48 PM   #58
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
You don’t want to force that in there especially if there is an interference with another part. I’d suggest taking that out again and trying it all over. Usually the 2nd or 3rd time might be the charm. Jack stand is just for extra support, not to push it in place. I actually never used one. Get a buddy for an extra hand. I just went under and got my knee to also help support while I wiggle it in place. There’s a plastic rail
On both left and right sides. I remember that it kinda slides into that. Good luck. Make sure the clips for the pipes are engaged properly on the IC. No leak.
This.

Although I found the use of a jack to hold the IC up (without forcing it) was key so my buddy and I could wiggle both sides independently without having to hold it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 09:47 PM   #59
speedborn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 N55 M2, VW 2003 R32

Thanks guys.

It seems that the chargepipe it has installed tends to move the top part of the intercooler towards the A/C condenser.

I'll try to accommodate it and see if the fit is different. The clips for the pipes were OK but I could see a bit of miss alignment between the Chargepipe and IC, although there was no air leak or undesired movement between them.

I'll comment on how it ends...

Thank you!

Last edited by speedborn; 08-29-2023 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 10:37 AM   #60
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Well this thread and the trimming the plastic around the front got me checking mine while cleaning it this weekend. I had a look thru the kidney grills and I can see the top of the CSF IC (embossed logo). I noticed that it was pretty close to the radiator fins. PRETTY close. Not sure, looks almost paper thin close or a couple of paper thin. Doesn’t look like there’s visible rubbing but surprised to see it that close.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 04:38 PM   #61
mattr832
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Would it be east to install CSF if you take the front bumper off?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 05:30 PM   #62
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr832 View Post
Not really. The issue is just that it literally doesn't fit correctly, so you have to fiddle it into place, and then use not-perfect washers for the not-perfect-fitment.

I understand the need to make the intercooler HUGEMONGUS, but I'd like better fitment.

My recommendation is that you make your own rectangle washers on the fly out of aluminum stock and use a jack to hold up the intercooler while you fiddle with it.

Take your time, and bring a friend.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2023, 08:10 PM   #63
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr832 View Post
Highly recommend you undo the bottom and fender-side bolts of the bumper. Have a friend swing the bumper forward and up just a little bit and it will make it 10x easier to put the intercooler in
      10-03-2023, 09:18 PM   #64
mattr832
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not really. The issue is just that it literally doesn't fit correctly, so you have to fiddle it into place, and then use not-perfect washers for the not-perfect-fitment.

I understand the need to make the intercooler HUGEMONGUS, but I'd like better fitment.

My recommendation is that you make your own rectangle washers on the fly out of aluminum stock and use a jack to hold up the intercooler while you fiddle with it.

Take your time, and bring a friend.
Thanks for the advice. I plan to rent a lift at a local self-service garage so hopefully that makes some of the fanagling a little easier. I've got two friends coming along so should have plenty of extra hands.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 09:20 PM   #65
mattr832
Private
Rep

Quote:
Highly recommend you undo the bottom and fender-side bolts of the bumper. Have a friend swing the bumper forward and up just a little bit and it will make it 10x easier to put the intercooler in
Thanks for the tip. I'll watch a few videos on front bumper removal (but only do as much as you recommend). I plan to rent a lift at a local shop because I don't have a good spot to work at home. The lift is pay by the hour so how much time should I factor in if I do what you recommend (just the bumper part)?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 09:36 PM   #66
mattr832
Private
Rep

Quote:
Mine came with screws and washers. I didn't notice at first, they were in the bag with the intercooler, and I totally looked over them. I was a bit miffed at first, but needed to get the work done, so I fabbed some larger washers and used the stock screws .

This worked for me for the short time I needed it to, and I then decided to get some larger screws. On the off chance I missed the installation hardware I took everything out of the box and there they were, 4 silver bits hidden in a small clear bag inside of a larger clear bag (needless to say they were hard to see). I was mad at CSF, and myself.

Anyway, I used the larger screws, pitched the terribly inadequate washers in the bin, and all was well.

I'm going to do this job yet AGAIN, but this next time I'm going to replace the screws with allen-head bolts.
Did you ever get any allen-head bolts? If so, what size do you recommend?
Appreciate 0