BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 2017 BMW M2 may consider selling modded or mostly stock

05-13-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
frankm002
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

2017 BMW M2 may consider selling modded or mostly stock

Hi there. I am considering selling my beloved M2 6sp. for two years or so that I have owned her I have been tastefully modded the car. Should i take a chance and selling the car as it is or strip most of the mods and sell it at a lesser price.
What would you do? Let me list the mods.
• Charge Pipe
• Boost pipe
• Intercooler
• High flow Cat
• Diverter turbo valve
• M performance coil overs
• K and N air filter
• Dinan Carbon fiber air filter kit
• M2 Aluminum upper strut brace
• M2 Carbon fiber brace
• Boot mode Stage 2
• Thor Steering and drive train flash
• Dinan Stage 4 box
• M2 Comp front and rear seats with door cards arm rest and boots with Orange stitching
• M2 comp starter button
• M1 and M2 steering buttons
• 5mm turner wheel spacers
• Carbon fiber mirror caps
• Carbon fiber antenna cover
• Carbon fiber rear deck lid spoiler
• Black rear diffuser
• NGK plugs
• Never tracked
Never smoked in
• maintenance records
• PPF
• Roof wrapped in Carbon fiber PPF
• Front lip spoiler
• Apple car play full screen

If I chose to go mostly stock the coilovers, the cat, the tunes, the interior, carbon fiber mirror caps. What would you consider?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 05:40 AM   #2
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Tough call but the answer is you'll always get more money parting out and selling as close to stock but the thing is labor and time. Quick read of your list has maybe $4-5k of parts that could be removed but add the labor to do so (coils, downpipe, intercooler, strut brace) is likely around $1k then you have to list them, ship and all that. Some cars are more obvious part outs to me but this one is close, or doing partial where you remove things you can do in your garage, notably the interior, and sell that way because the performance/suspension mod list is pretty good with nothing that is really crazy/controversial like bags or anything so I'd expect lots of buyers would be interested in the car as is with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 07:31 AM   #3
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
You know what sells a car better than a mod list?

Pictures. And by pictures, I mean pictures that aren't from your second story window that appear to be aimed at your neighbors car and not your own.

Lol
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2023, 06:07 AM   #4
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Unless you find the right buyer that likes what you've done to the car and also doesn't think all these mods are a sign you beat on the car like it owes you money (and we both know you have), a stock car will always bring in more money, provided you actually can bring it back to stock without it being obvious the car had been modified and put back to stock.
Appreciate 1
m2ss1791.50
      05-19-2023, 02:40 PM   #5
frankm002
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Hi thanks for the responses. We have rainy weather today looks like Saturday will be a good day to give the car a bath and take some pictures. Some items I'd consider should have been done at the factory like the intercooler charge and boost pipes should stay on the car, as they not only increase the power but make the car more reliable. Old parts I would include. The rest I could take off on my own and run the car to the shop to have the car aligned just in case. Did I beat on it like it owned me money? LOL I guess once I do my track day at BMW I'll give more details on that. On my bucket list is to take the car to Georgia mountains and the tail of the dragon. Most likely after that I'll know if she stays or goes. Been doing alot of thinking on the keeping the car. It has been great so far. The last owners took care of it and I have as well. I spoke to my about my 1st Datsun 240z, Yea I had one way back when. Sold and I regretted it. A couple of years later I bought a 73 240z and did all to get what that 72 was and more. Once I got too where she was and the car then sold it. I missed that car and man what that car is worth today. Not as refined as the BMW but it had character.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 11:38 AM   #6
deathking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i / 2017 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm002 View Post
Hi there. I am considering selling my beloved M2 6sp. for two years or so that I have owned her I have been tastefully modded the car. Should i take a chance and selling the car as it is or strip most of the mods and sell it at a lesser price.
What would you do? Let me list the mods.
• Charge Pipe
• Boost pipe
• Intercooler
• High flow Cat
• Diverter turbo valve
• M performance coil overs
• K and N air filter
• Dinan Carbon fiber air filter kit
• M2 Aluminum upper strut brace
• M2 Carbon fiber brace
• Boot mode Stage 2
• Thor Steering and drive train flash
• Dinan Stage 4 box
• M2 Comp front and rear seats with door cards arm rest and boots with Orange stitching
• M2 comp starter button
• M1 and M2 steering buttons
• 5mm turner wheel spacers
• Carbon fiber mirror caps
• Carbon fiber antenna cover
• Carbon fiber rear deck lid spoiler
• Black rear diffuser
• NGK plugs
• Never tracked
Never smoked in
• maintenance records
• PPF
• Roof wrapped in Carbon fiber PPF
• Front lip spoiler
• Apple car play full screen

If I chose to go mostly stock the coilovers, the cat, the tunes, the interior, carbon fiber mirror caps. What would you consider?
Depends on your next move. If you're looking to trade in at a dealership, then returning to stock or mostly stock is your best option so that you can sell some parts and avoid any headaches during the trade in process. Selling privately? I say keep them on, it's clear by your mod choices that you are an enthusiast and I think most people would appreciate them.

Me personally I would be excited about everything other than the carbon fiber bits (just a personal choice) and lip spoiler.