BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New equal length AA Exhaust?

Closed Thread

01-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #441
M2C_jondagger
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYACTIVE View Post
We are addressing the issue now, however it may take some time as the space for the size resonators is very limited. We currently have other resonators of similar size but different internals being made which we hope to address the issue. As of now we will be halting the sale of all resonated EL M2C mid pipes. Please be patient as we will not ignore any issues with our products, we designed a one of a kind product and we will do our best to make it better as we have done with many of our past products over our 40 years being in business. We will keep you updated to our progress. Thank you.
Thanks for acknowleding the issue! As far as you're aware, this 2k rpm issue is only applicable to people that have catless DPs?
Correct! Only for catless dps
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #442
ONLYACTIVE
Private
Rep
Drives: RAPTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM2See View Post
Thank you. What about those who already have the resonated version? Can we exchange for whatever the solution is?
Yes only issue is with resonated version with catless DP's, Yes once we solve the problem we will make good and exchange out the old resonators.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #443
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
Catless dp are the issue.

Have a listen to the BMW Invasion vids on youtube to get an idea on how to resolve it.

I would guess the AA Mad Max is what you need - or just don't drive at 2k rpm with valves open.
The AA Mad Max does not fit on the M2C. You have to go with their new valved axleback. I'm still waiting on mine to ship.

I'm running Wagner 200 Cel HFC's w/ AA traditional midpipe with OEM rear section.

There is zero rasp at any RPM with this setup. I doubt me adding the AA valved setup will change that. As soon as I get it on I'll post
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726

Last edited by SEAT TIME RULES; 01-28-2021 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #444
MyM2See
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Yes only issue is with resonated version with catless DP's, Yes once we solve the problem we will make good and exchange out the old resonators.
Thats great to hear. Will be able to bring it into the shop to get it replaced?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 10:20 PM   #445
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsnice View Post
Installed mine, it paired up to my Remus Race axleback and stock downpipes. With the valves closed it’s quiet with a nice deep smooth tone. Valves open it sounds like a completely different animal.
Videos don’t do this setup justice.
Can you share your clips?
      01-28-2021, 03:25 AM   #446
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
What about those of us that did our research and don't want larger resonators (or a delay in shipment)?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #447
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Thanks for acknowleding the issue! As far as you're aware, this 2k rpm issue is only applicable to people that have catless DPs?
Correct only catless downpipe owners are affected.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 09:52 AM   #448
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dgr84 View Post
What about those of us that did our research and don't want larger resonators (or a delay in shipment)?
Give us a call with your name and order number.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #449
ozmartini
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

I'm on the verge of ordering, since the sound is just amazing. But with everything stock, what exactly is the volume increase we can expect with installing just the non-resonated midpipe? Seems like nobody on here is answering this question.

Also, do I need to order any additional gaskets when installing this to stock exhaust?
Appreciate 3
ESB1013.00
rns2947.50
      01-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #450
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Quote:
Correct only catless downpipe owners are affected.
How about resonated catless downpipes? Are those also affected with the resonated mid. And are the resonators larger on the m3/m4 model
      01-28-2021, 05:48 PM   #451
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmartini View Post
Also, do I need to order any additional gaskets when installing this to stock exhaust?
You're supposed to install new gaskets between the downpipes and the midpipes

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=389

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=397
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 09:36 PM   #452
Finz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 M Coupe, MY20 M2C ED Sept

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I was reluctant to rely solely on the forum videos, so in late October I took a day and drove four hours each way to listen to the Hoffmobile's exhaust - AA EL non-res midpipe, stock downpipes and stock muffler. I considered it a huge improvement, so ordered non-res EL as soon as the pre-orders became available. Installed a few days ago, (still stock DPs and muffler) and will offer my initial, unscientific, observations.

Cold start, after an initial BLAP, is no louder than stock. A bit lower in tone, and not as obnoxious.

Efficient mode: definitely a more even sound. To me about the same loudness as stock, but more pleasant. I can live with this.

Sport/Sport+ : Woo Hoo! I can finally hear the exhaust while accelerating at speed with the windows down, and it gets better as the rpms rise. What an amazing concept! And it sounds really good. This was my goal.

Several have asked, "exactly how much louder ?" I cannot give you exact, but to go from "Effin car, I can't hear you" to "Woo Hoo" should tell you something. It's all a matter of perspective, I know some people think it is too loud. I could actually live with it a bit louder during WOT, but this is a huge improvement. Around town it is still a good sound, not too loud. Again, sounds good to me and bystanders don't stop everything and say, "WTF is that?" Except for the burbles, especially in Sport +. They are now more obnoxious and have to go away - but that's another topic.

I had already painted the muffler so I now have better sound to go with the better visual. I'm very happy with the way the EL midpipe has transformed my driving experience.

Thanks AA, thanks Hoffmobile.
ESB1013.00
JustinHEMI7438.00
StephGOD218.50
rns2947.50
      01-28-2021, 11:02 PM   #453
ozmartini
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finz View Post
I was reluctant to rely solely on the forum videos, so in late October I took a day and drove four hours each way to listen to the Hoffmobile's exhaust - AA EL non-res midpipe, stock downpipes and stock muffler. I considered it a huge improvement, so ordered non-res EL as soon as the pre-orders became available. Installed a few days ago, (still stock DPs and muffler) and will offer my initial, unscientific, observations.

Cold start, after an initial BLAP, is no louder than stock. A bit lower in tone, and not as obnoxious.

Efficient mode: definitely a more even sound. To me about the same loudness as stock, but more pleasant. I can live with this.

Sport/Sport+ : Woo Hoo! I can finally hear the exhaust while accelerating at speed with the windows down, and it gets better as the rpms rise. What an amazing concept! And it sounds really good. This was my goal.

Several have asked, "exactly how much louder ?" I cannot give you exact, but to go from "Effin car, I can't hear you" to "Woo Hoo" should tell you something. It's all a matter of perspective, I know some people think it is too loud. I could actually live with it a bit louder during WOT, but this is a huge improvement. Around town it is still a good sound, not too loud. Again, sounds good to me and bystanders don't stop everything and say, "WTF is that?" Except for the burbles, especially in Sport +. They are now more obnoxious and have to go away - but that's another topic.

I had already painted the muffler so I now have better sound to go with the better visual. I'm very happy with the way the EL midpipe has transformed my driving experience.

Thank you for this! Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for; now I can order this thing guilt-free.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #454
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

Excellent report, I can't wait!

Would you mind PMing me what you used to paint your muffler?
      01-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #455
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:

Interested in the "burble removal". Are you tuned and can modify by that means, or are you planning another route?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #456
echoshotz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:

Interested in the "burble removal". Are you tuned and can modify by that means, or are you planning another route?
Burbles can be turned off using bimmerlink 👍
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 02:55 PM   #457
Finz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post

Maybe Bimmerlink, maybe as part of Carbahn tune. Not sure yet. My upgraded driving pleasure score puts the necessity of a tune in question for the moment.
      01-30-2021, 06:29 PM   #458
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Hi gents,
Has anyone with stock downpipes and axleback decided to go for the Resonated EL Midpipe?

I haven't been able to find many videos with this setup, and I know AA recommends the non-resonated version if you're fully stock, but based on the limited videos available, I feel like the tone is slightly different between the two. Would be interested in hearing a side by side comparison of the two.

Thanks!
      01-31-2021, 04:46 AM   #459
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

This seems like the holy grail option, this engine does not go well with straight pipes, it needs muffler / downpipe exhaust volume to produce a deep non raspy tone. Bonus, because it means aftermarket downpipe aren't needed.

Thanks for the review.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 12:31 PM   #460
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

I think you can use BimmerLink now to turn off burbles on s55.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 01:54 PM   #461
Finz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I think you can use BimmerLink now to turn off burbles on s55.
I saw that as well, I will check it out. Thanks
      01-31-2021, 10:45 PM   #462
lengrenjt
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsnice View Post
Installed mine, it paired up to my Remus Race axleback and stock downpipes. With the valves closed it’s quiet with a nice deep smooth tone. Valves open it sounds like a completely different animal.
Videos don’t do this setup justice.
Are you running the res or non-res version EL mid?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread