BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New EU based M2C EL exhaust

01-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #67
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

Update time warning : long read

So, after finding the car again with a low battery warning "start the engine now", and associated CEL's, I decided to undo the installation of the AK motion display. First I tested just by cutting the OPF wires, my main suspect like in 99,9% sure. CEL's just disappeared after 100km of riding......carefully with the non cheated OPF pressure sensors. After the battery drainage CEL disappeared I decided to force an OPF related limbmode. First time bingo.

I do not care who's fault it was, wether the wires were soldered incorrectly to the board, fact is I asked for a soldered system, but got it in pieces to be assembled by the user, without a manual. I had it installed by professionals, have been fault finding for weeks, and it did not work. Support was no other than "you wired it wrong", well it wasn't. The display worked just fine till the OPF's were connected, and although it caused me issues, the OPF CEL never came up. Something must have been right too.......nevertheless goodbye AK.

Then the bench unlock had to be started. A bit exited I was, not being an automotive professional, but common, no rocket science. The hard part was getting to the ECU. I went for the top-route, TMIC removal. Long story short, it is very doable. I have worked a decade on Subaru's, till 2013 it's all the same to be honest.

Once removed, the ECU is not glove size 14 (I am blessed with shovels with fingers attached haha) compatible.......but I managed, ok ok, with a lot of patience. The autotuner interface is more than great. It really was a 2 minute job once connected. I think it would be possible to even access the ECU from the bottom of the car and use pre installed connectors instead of using the individual wires to the pins.

After assembling everything, I recharged the car as the battery was still too low for my liking to start playing with bootmod3.

I left it overnight at the charger, diagnosed the ECU in the morning to be sure there are no issues --> all good now, and managed to flash the required settings to the ECU via the OBD2 port. Piece of cake to be honest.

Just did an extensive test ride, hit it WOT.
No errors no CEL's what a relieve.
The sound of the exhaust has a big yiehaa level.
Still looking into manual being able to switching the exhaust flaps though.

So the sale of the exhausts is moving into the right direction.
I wil visit the shops for some additional touchups that will be implemented into the production model too (I still have the test rig under my car, which is just fine soundwise). Final adjustment like tip height and end tips in general.
Keep you posted, with new vids later and a fotoshoot the cars bottom

Don't know if I am allowed to share it here, but if you are interested:
https://rvs-uitlaat.nl/ (site is in Dutch, working on that haha)
Code : EDM10 for 10pct discount

I am not affiliated to the shop at all, other than that te shop owner is a friend of mine. Jelmer is a great guy with great customers, to be honest, if you see the cars passing by sometimes my car is just a bit meh hahaha
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      01-12-2021, 04:42 AM   #68
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I'm glad it worked out eventually Erik.

Zoals jij al zei "De aanhouder wint".

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 04:46 AM   #69
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

Cheers Robin
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      02-09-2021, 06:42 AM   #70
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Devotion View Post
Update time warning : long read

So, after finding the car again with a low battery warning "start the engine now", and associated CEL's, I decided to undo the installation of the AK motion display. First I tested just by cutting the OPF wires, my main suspect like in 99,9% sure. CEL's just disappeared after 100km of riding......carefully with the non cheated OPF pressure sensors. After the battery drainage CEL disappeared I decided to force an OPF related limbmode. First time bingo.

I do not care who's fault it was, wether the wires were soldered incorrectly to the board, fact is I asked for a soldered system, but got it in pieces to be assembled by the user, without a manual. I had it installed by professionals, have been fault finding for weeks, and it did not work. Support was no other than "you wired it wrong", well it wasn't. The display worked just fine till the OPF's were connected, and although it caused me issues, the OPF CEL never came up. Something must have been right too.......nevertheless goodbye AK.

Then the bench unlock had to be started. A bit exited I was, not being an automotive professional, but common, no rocket science. The hard part was getting to the ECU. I went for the top-route, TMIC removal. Long story short, it is very doable. I have worked a decade on Subaru's, till 2013 it's all the same to be honest.

Once removed, the ECU is not glove size 14 (I am blessed with shovels with fingers attached haha) compatible.......but I managed, ok ok, with a lot of patience. The autotuner interface is more than great. It really was a 2 minute job once connected. I think it would be possible to even access the ECU from the bottom of the car and use pre installed connectors instead of using the individual wires to the pins.

After assembling everything, I recharged the car as the battery was still too low for my liking to start playing with bootmod3.

I left it overnight at the charger, diagnosed the ECU in the morning to be sure there are no issues --> all good now, and managed to flash the required settings to the ECU via the OBD2 port. Piece of cake to be honest.

Just did an extensive test ride, hit it WOT.
No errors no CEL's what a relieve.
The sound of the exhaust has a big yiehaa level.
Still looking into manual being able to switching the exhaust flaps though.

So the sale of the exhausts is moving into the right direction.
I wil visit the shops for some additional touchups that will be implemented into the production model too (I still have the test rig under my car, which is just fine soundwise). Final adjustment like tip height and end tips in general.
Keep you posted, with new vids later and a fotoshoot the cars bottom

Don't know if I am allowed to share it here, but if you are interested:
https://rvs-uitlaat.nl/ (site is in Dutch, working on that haha)
Code : EDM10 for 10pct discount

I am not affiliated to the shop at all, other than that te shop owner is a friend of mine. Jelmer is a great guy with great customers, to be honest, if you see the cars passing by sometimes my car is just a bit meh hahaha
Erik, did you bench unlock the ECU yourself? what tools did you use? I bought BM3 last black friday and will need to unlock the ECU in August when the warranty runs out.

When can we meet up for a listen>