BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THOR tweaked GTS transmission coding for N55 M2 review thread

07-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #67
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
I see Thor app has been updated for GTS DCT flash in both the App and Play Stores - anyone know what's changed ?
Hoping they amended the 5k RPM launch control
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #68
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

So I need some help here. I've had Thor for about a month and had basically nothing but problems with it. WIFI drops connections or the flash fails just as it gets to 100%. I've tried 2 different newer or new Android devices. I've only been able to flash CS or Series settings on either dynamic or dct. M2C or GTS fails and bricks my car every time.

I dont trust the WIFI dongle at this point and really want to try a wired connection. Im using a new Android device, the same one that Evolve Automotive used in their Youtube video so I know its not that. Im also using the Bimmer Geeks Pro cable that Thor suggests. But I still cant get it to connect to car.

Thor support sent me these instructions:

Android users need to configure the Ethernet port, after connecting the Adapter to their devices. Please open the settings panel on your device. Depending on your Android version, the procedure may be a bit different. This procedure is only necessary on first connect and for wired connections. Your
phone will store those settings for subsequent connects. Eventually you need to re-plug the adapter, after saving the settings totake effect.

1. After connecting cable, press OK
2. Open „Connections“
3. Open „More Conn. Settings“
4. Open „Ethernet“
5. Open „Configure“
6. Ethernet settings

Necessary Ethernet settings (Topic 6) are:
Static IP: 169.254.250.250
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
DNS: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Please enter and save them!

*I dont know where these settings are on either Android device Ive tried*

Can anyone who had done a wired connection with Android help out?

The screenshots below are what happens when I try to connect. When I tap on USB settings this is the only setting screen I get and I cant toggle that setting, everything is grayed out.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #69
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Sent them a DM on Instgram asking them what was updated, got left on read - no reply.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #70
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Sent them a DM on Instgram asking them what was updated, got left on read - no reply.
I have had a hard time getting in touch with their support. I usually have to send 2 or 3 emails, hit them on this site, and IG to get one response.
Im sure they're good guys and it's not intended but the customer support on the product is really lacking.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:58 AM   #71
K_C_
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
So I need some help here. I've had Thor for about a month and had basically nothing but problems with it. WIFI drops connections or the flash fails just as it gets to 100%. I've tried 2 different newer or new Android devices. I've only been able to flash CS or Series settings on either dynamic or dct. M2C or GTS fails and bricks my car every time.

I dont trust the WIFI dongle at this point and really want to try a wired connection. Im using a new Android device, the same one that Evolve Automotive used in their Youtube video so I know its not that. Im also using the Bimmer Geeks Pro cable that Thor suggests. But I still cant get it to connect to car.

Thor support sent me these instructions:

Android users need to configure the Ethernet port, after connecting the Adapter to their devices. Please open the settings panel on your device. Depending on your Android version, the procedure may be a bit different. This procedure is only necessary on first connect and for wired connections. Your
phone will store those settings for subsequent connects. Eventually you need to re-plug the adapter, after saving the settings totake effect.

1. After connecting cable, press OK
2. Open „Connections“
3. Open „More Conn. Settings“
4. Open „Ethernet“
5. Open „Configure“
6. Ethernet settings

Necessary Ethernet settings (Topic 6) are:
Static IP: 169.254.250.250
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
DNS: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Please enter and save them!

*I dont know where these settings are on either Android device Ive tried*

Can anyone who had done a wired connection with Android help out?

The screenshots below are what happens when I try to connect. When I tap on USB settings this is the only setting screen I get and I cant toggle that setting, everything is grayed out.

Any help would be much appreciated.
From your screenshots, it says FT232 USB UART.... it doesn't look like your Android device is attached to a USB-Network adapter.

Would you show us the adapter you are using?
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 06:58 AM   #72
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

Neophyte question; i'm running a hex flash tune. Could i still do thor flasher for the tcu and getting rid of rev matching without affecting the hex flash tune? Thanks for your input!
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #73
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
I have had a hard time getting in touch with their support. I usually have to send 2 or 3 emails, hit them on this site, and IG to get one response.
Im sure they're good guys and it's not intended but the customer support on the product is really lacking.
I had trouble getting in touch with their customer service as well. I hit them on FB messenger and noticed they checked it and replied once a day (my dialogue went on for 4-5 days) so you may want to try there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersam View Post
Neophyte question; i'm running a hex flash tune. Could i still do thor flasher for the tcu and getting rid of rev matching without affecting the hex flash tune? Thanks for your input!
Yes, you can flash THOR to adjust your transmission and steering settings without affecting your engine tune.
      07-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #74
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_C_ View Post
From your screenshots, it says FT232 USB UART.... it doesn't look like your Android device is attached to a USB-Network adapter.

Would you show us the adapter you are using?
I'm using the BimmerGeeks Pro K+DCAN Cable that Thor app suggests along with the suggested Android USB-C OTG adaptor that BimmerGeeks sells with it.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
K_C_18.00
      07-29-2020, 04:54 AM   #75
K_C_
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
I'm using the BimmerGeeks Pro K+DCAN Cable that Thor app suggests along with the suggested Android USB-C OTG adaptor that BimmerGeeks sells with it.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable
Oh you are using a DCAN cable! You won't find the Ethernet settings because you don't have one! I believe for the F-chassis, most of the programs/apps use a ENET cable instead.

And you need a USB-C (or micro B depends on your Android device) to RJ45 adapter like this:

Once this adapter is connected to your Android device, you should be able to find the Ethernet settings.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #76
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh you are using a DCAN cable! You won't find the Ethernet settings because you don't have one! I believe for the F-chassis, most of the programs/apps use a ENET cable instead.

And you need a USB-C (or micro B depends on your Android device) to RJ45 adapter like this:

Once this adapter is connected to your Android device, you should be able to find the Ethernet settings.
wow thanks for the help! I'll order this and report back.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:08 PM   #77
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thank You for the advice, really appreciate it! I got an ENET cable off Amazon and it does seem like I am on the right track now as I am able to get to the settings but still cant connect....

I dont have a setting for SUBNET...mine has NETMASK as you can see in pic.
I tried putting the SUBNET setting in that field, everything else matched up, but after I saved and tried to hit CONNECT TO ETHERNET, it didnt.

Checked in the THOR app and also no connection.
Attached Images

Last edited by BallHog5873; 07-31-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 02:24 PM   #78
K_C_
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Thank You for the advice, really appreciate it! I got an ENET cable off Amazon and it does seem like I am on the right track now as I am able to get to the settings but still cant connect....

I dont have a setting for SUBNET...mine has NETMASK as you can see in pic.
I tried putting the SUBNET setting in that field, everything else matched up, but after I saved and tried to hit CONNECT TO ETHERNET, it didnt.

Checked in the THOR app and also no connection.
When you start THOR, you should be asked for "Allow THOR to connect to the Ethernet device" or similar pop up dialog box? (Just like the one asked for permission to connect to the UART). If you were not asked to connect to the Ethernet device, probably you have to reinstall THOR? If that still doesn't help, you better consult THOR support again…
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #79
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When you start THOR, you should be asked for "Allow THOR to connect to the Ethernet device" or similar pop up dialog box? (Just like the one asked for permission to connect to the UART). If you were not asked to connect to the Ethernet device, probably you have to reinstall THOR? If that still doesn't help, you better consult THOR support again…
thanks again. You've been more helpful over the last few days than Thor has been over the last 6 weeks. But might be time to give up on this one, might try again at some point but its just been constant problems with this product.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #80
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Glad I did not purchase this. Too may issues and no support.
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #81
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
I'm a bit disappointed really. I was really excited about it and bought the Wireless OBD-II unit, but then read about all of the issues people have been having and ended up not purchasing the flash. It still sounds like a great improvement when it does work, and I may get it eventually, but as of now my excitement for it is waning a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:48 PM   #82
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Subsub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
I'm a bit disappointed really. I was really excited about it and bought the Wireless OBD-II unit, but then read about all of the issues people have been having and ended up not purchasing the flash. It still sounds like a great improvement when it does work, and I may get it eventually, but as of now my excitement for it is waning a bit.
I'm on the same boat as you and holding the purchase now. Quite disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #83
K_C_
Hong Kong
Rep

But actually if you guys figured out how to connect to our M2s to mobile phones via ENET cables, that will be a more convenient way and also cost saving. Considering this combo can be used with Bimmercode, BM3 and THOR (or even MHD, I am not sure). Especially when coding with Bimmercode, it is waaaaaaaaaaaay faster than using a BT dongle.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #84
SpeedFried
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2 Mineral Gray with DCT

I’m now getting drivetrain warnings when pushing hard in 4th gear. Since I’ve had a CEL (48002C) since I flashed the Clubsport GTS map for the DCT I’m assuming this is causing it.

THOR_Flasher I sent you a PM and I t would be great if you could support your product and reply with a solution or plan to resolve the issue since this is now a known issue!

Last edited by SpeedFried; 08-24-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:50 AM   #85
maol
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I've used Thor for some time and I'm not satisfied with the solution and the difference between stock and Thor in my mind is too little. A lot of threads I've read say it's like night and day but I think a lot is placebo and not a big difference at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #86
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maol View Post
I've used Thor for some time and I'm not satisfied with the solution and the difference between stock and Thor in my mind is too little. A lot of threads I've read say it's like night and day but I think a lot is placebo and not a big difference at all.
I believe xhp is releasing their DCT tuning in a few weeks. I've read good things about the tunes they've done on the zf8 gearbox. Could be an option if people aren't satisfied with the Thor gearbox tuning.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 11:45 PM   #87
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
I believe xhp is releasing their DCT tuning in a few weeks. I've read good things about the tunes they've done on the zf8 gearbox. Could be an option if people aren't satisfied with the Thor gearbox tuning.
Yeah keep us posted on this please. Im over THOR, if they're not gonna support it, Im not gonna use it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #88
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Yeah keep us posted on this please. Im over THOR, if they're not gonna support it, Im not gonna use it.
Looks like they already support the 7-Speed DCT... send them a message asking if they have support for the N55 M2... don't see it listed on their website but maybe it's coming down the pipeline.
Appreciate 1