BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Not feeling MPE. What am I missing?

07-28-2020, 04:42 AM   #177
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
So picked up my second hand M2 yesterday came w MPE.

MPE sounds fantastic from the outside. Has a nice growling rumble at parking lot speeds - watching the tech take my car for a test drive around the dealer.

But... from the inside it sounds blah. I thought it was the ASD, so I coded it off. This is windows up of course.

1. You dont really hear any good sounds. Just a loud tone, almost "drony". Its like trying to listen to a movie in another room with the doors closed. Just muffled exhaust noise.

2. Around 2500 to 3200 RPM its kinda drony. Gives me a headache. I thought it was the ASD but its actually the MPE! In previous cars, getting on the gas from 2k to 4k RPM would always produce some fun sounds.... not the case here just kinda bland.

My test drive was a 18 w no MPE. There was nothing w MPE to drive.

I had the install checked by a BMW tech, he said it looked correct. Although he knew nothing about the M2 or MPE, so he was pretty useless.

On a positive note, the cold start was not as loud as I thought it was going to be.

Anyways... is there an adjustment? Bad install? Something I'm missing? Any tricks to getting the MPE to sound good INSIDE the cabin? Or atleast get ride of the drony noises, especially on the highway.

I'm sure i"m missing something. Hopefully it better than this... thanks guys
Couldn't agree more with your assessment. The drone really annoys me too
To a point where you've felt like replacing the exhaust back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #178
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I can't believe that no one has come out with a J pipe for these things. At that RPM it shouldn't be that long.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #179
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
So picked up my second hand M2 yesterday came w MPE.

MPE sounds fantastic from the outside. Has a nice growling rumble at parking lot speeds - watching the tech take my car for a test drive around the dealer.

But... from the inside it sounds blah. I thought it was the ASD, so I coded it off. This is windows up of course.

1. You dont really hear any good sounds. Just a loud tone, almost "drony". Its like trying to listen to a movie in another room with the doors closed. Just muffled exhaust noise.

2. Around 2500 to 3200 RPM its kinda drony. Gives me a headache. I thought it was the ASD but its actually the MPE! In previous cars, getting on the gas from 2k to 4k RPM would always produce some fun sounds.... not the case here just kinda bland.

My test drive was a 18 w no MPE. There was nothing w MPE to drive.

I had the install checked by a BMW tech, he said it looked correct. Although he knew nothing about the M2 or MPE, so he was pretty useless.

On a positive note, the cold start was not as loud as I thought it was going to be.

Anyways... is there an adjustment? Bad install? Something I'm missing? Any tricks to getting the MPE to sound good INSIDE the cabin? Or atleast get ride of the drony noises, especially on the highway.

I'm sure i"m missing something. Hopefully it better than this... thanks guys
Couldn't agree more with your assessment. The drone really annoys me too
To a point where you've felt like replacing the exhaust back to stock?
Yes except mine came with the MPE so i usually drive with my valves closed
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #180
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Installed mpe on my 6mt 2018 m2. I have the milltek / hjs 300 cell downpipe and otherwise stock.

We also unplugged the valves so it’s wide open.

It is definitely louder than I expected and sounds better than expected. The downpipe with stock exhaust was a nice change but adding the mpe made a huge difference and it sounds much better.

There definitely is a strong resonance on the highway at 2500-3000 rpm, and wojld probably be annoying if it was a dd.

But for now, I love it and would hesitate to start adding resonators or doing anything of the sort. But I can see what people are struggling with.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:40 AM   #181
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChiles View Post
Installed mpe on my 6mt 2018 m2. I have the milltek / hjs 300 cell downpipe and otherwise stock.

We also unplugged the valves so it’s wide open.

It is definitely louder than I expected and sounds better than expected. The downpipe with stock exhaust was a nice change but adding the mpe made a huge difference and it sounds much better.

There definitely is a strong resonance on the highway at 2500-3000 rpm, and wojld probably be annoying if it was a dd.

But for now, I love it and would hesitate to start adding resonators or doing anything of the sort. But I can see what people are struggling with.
When you mentioned there is drone/resonance at 2500-3000 rpm, is that when you're only on the freeway and the throttle is idling in those rpms?

How about on acceleration through the gears, is the drone/resonance there when changing through gears and the car is in the 2500-3000 rpm range?
Appreciate 0