BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How did your CSF intercooler fit?

01-12-2023, 02:01 PM   #1
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

How did your CSF intercooler fit?

Hey guys, just a quick question. I purchased the 8115 CSF intercooler for my car and got it put on, but it never felt like it fit quite right. Is this just because it's so much larger than the stock unit, or did yours fit spot on? The passenger side fit pretty well, but to get the driver's side screwed in I had to use the jack to force it up a bit and it was still a pain to get it done. I wasn't very happy with the supplied washers so I made some additional ones out of aluminum stripping as well.

FWIW, I got the MadDad charge pipe, which seemed to fit fine.

Thanks for any info.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 03:25 PM   #2
hihowareyougood
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

I generally followed the guide from this thread - https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1870298

More specifically, I followed MASHCT's advice and bought some better washers/screws from home depot. I agree with you on the washers - the ones that came with the CSF FMIC were no good in my experience. Getting the FMIC into place was a pain and I too had to use a jack and stand to both sides in place, but after installation fitment was pretty much spot on. It's a pretty tight fit and there's almost zero room to wiggle it around, but no issues so far. I don't recall seeing the black plastic bend/rotate as your pic shows.
      01-12-2023, 03:36 PM   #3
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Mine wasn't a perfect fit either. The notch on the intercooler fit decently around the mounting point on the passenger side, but I remember the driver's side not really lining up well. I was still able to get both screws in and tightened down, so with them installed and the charge/boost pipes helping to support it I think it's pretty secure.

Agreed on the supplied hardware. They were unusable and embarrassingly bad for something at this price point. I had some fender washers lying around so I ended up just using them along with the OEM screws.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-12-2023, 06:02 PM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

I got it to fit, and it's tight, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one that had fitment issues.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 08:52 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

As mentioned, it's a tight fitment with zero wiggle room.

It has more to do with the M2 than the CSF. (Except for the washers, these could be better).

Unfortunately, with the M2, fitment is so tight that a larger intercooler will require even more work.
If you want an intercooler larger than 5" but does not require much work, the CSF at 5.5" is a perfect in-between solution.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 09:13 AM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
As mentioned, it's a tight fitment with zero wiggle room.

It has more to do with the M2 than the CSF. (Except for the washers, these could be better).

Unfortunately, with the M2, fitment is so tight that a larger intercooler will require even more work.
If you want an intercooler larger than 5" but does not require much work, the CSF at 5.5" is a perfect in-between solution.
Thanks for the info.

I'm basic BM3 Stage 2 91 octane OTS map and was told that this was the correct intercooler for me. I don't race the car. I hope the info I got was correct on that count.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 01:28 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Thanks for the info.

I'm basic BM3 Stage 2 91 octane OTS map and was told that this was the correct intercooler for me. I don't race the car. I hope the info I got was correct on that count.
Yes, that's the intercooler I would go with since the larger intercoolers will have fitment issues, and the smaller ones might not be enough for stage 2 maps.

Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-13-2023, 02:05 PM   #8
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Thanks for the info.

It certainly does the job well but apparently there are other options that may perform marginally better. ER and VRSF come to mind. I’m a brand whore and sucker for marketing so CSF won my business.

Mine showed up with a ugly 7in scratch on the top that didn’t appear to be from shipping, they’ve refused to heed feedback and upgrade the comical hardware it ships with, and a month later the business owner was releasing videos all over the web on his over the top custom 964 so the luster of CSF has worn off a bit for me.

CSF ain’t PWR quality that’s for sure…

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 03:54 PM   #9
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

It's not enough of an issue that I'm going to sell this one and buy something else, I just wanted to make sure that my fitment issues were normal.

As far as the hardware, I sorted that easily.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 10:06 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
It certainly does the job well but apparently there are other options that may perform marginally better. ER and VRSF come to mind.

keep in mind that on the M2 platform, you also want to make sure the intercooler fits.

There have been a number of reported fitment issues with race intercoolers that are over 5.5" on the M2.

They fit fine on the 3 and 4 platforms but the M2 has less clearance.

Appreciate 1
      01-16-2023, 10:57 AM   #11
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Mine fit pretty well. I didn't recall seeing the plastic mount being at an angle like yours though. I'm planning to re-enforce the intercooler with some additional straps or mounts, I'll take some pictures when I do this.
Appreciate 3
      01-17-2023, 09:55 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
Mine fit pretty well. I didn't recall seeing the plastic mount being at an angle like yours though. I'm planning to re-enforce the intercooler with some additional straps or mounts, I'll take some pictures when I do this.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 09:16 AM   #13
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

the stock uses the rails to connect to that bracket. the CSF doesn't use those rails, just the L&R screw points.

...and like everyone that had purchased CSF IC, we are all disgusted w/ the washers that came w/ that product. Ridiculously disappointing but for some reason the owner would not do anything. Deaf ears.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      01-29-2023, 11:04 AM   #14
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
the stock uses the rails to connect to that bracket. the CSF doesn't use those rails, just the L&R screw points.

...and like everyone that had purchased CSF IC, we are all disgusted w/ the washers that came w/ that product. Ridiculously disappointing but for some reason the owner would not do anything. Deaf ears.
I guess I was just hoping that the screw points lined up better. I got it on, twice, the first time was a bit of a rush, but the second time I took my time and used a jack, but it fit no better. It's on tight though.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 07:31 AM   #15
E36M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, '14 335i, '12 X3 35i

Mike@x-hp,
I had the exact same problem as the OP on a 2014 335i with the CSF intercooler. Passenger side lined up great but driver side caused misalignment and a twist in the plastic rail. You mentioned no figment issues on 3 series and wanted to let everyone know that was the case on my car. The intercooler on the drivers side was flush against the A/C condenser and wouldn’t come back any further to align with the mounting hole. I’m slightly concerned about the metal on metal contact but as tight as it ended up being I’m hoping there will not be any chaffing problems.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      03-05-2023, 05:10 PM   #16
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36M3 View Post
Mike@x-hp,
I had the exact same problem as the OP on a 2014 335i with the CSF intercooler. Passenger side lined up great but driver side caused misalignment and a twist in the plastic rail. You mentioned no figment issues on 3 series and wanted to let everyone know that was the case on my car. The intercooler on the drivers side was flush against the A/C condenser and wouldn’t come back any further to align with the mounting hole. I’m slightly concerned about the metal on metal contact but as tight as it ended up being I’m hoping there will not be any chaffing problems.
You may just solved my air conditioning Problem , I don’t have cold Air when it’s on. I will be checking if there is metal to metal contact.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:10 AM   #17
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
keep in mind that on the M2 platform, you also want to make sure the intercooler fits.

There have been a number of reported fitment issues with race intercoolers that are over 5.5" on the M2.

They fit fine on the 3 and 4 platforms but the M2 has less clearance.
I had this issue as well, from what we found during attempted installation it is the thicker cross brace behind the kidney grills that prevent installation of race and large intercoolers.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 03:11 PM   #18
K-Bag
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 OG M2

Same issue with mine, larger washers solved the problem. Any excuse to go to the local hardware store :-)
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      03-06-2023, 07:14 PM   #19
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bag View Post
Same issue with mine, larger washers solved the problem. Any excuse to go to the local hardware store :-)
Mine doesn't fit right no matter what I do, but it's on there and tight as a drum, so it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 11:42 AM   #20
CSF Cooling
United_States
Rep

Drives: F10 M5 - Imola Red

Hi Everyone - owner of CSF chiming in here.

1) I'm working on a solution for all current owners and future purchasers - We're going to make a custom washer that contours to the tank and has some adjustably - the washer wil be 2x as thick as the current washers supplied for added assurance.

2) If you have a CSF intercooler and you want upgraded hardware, please email info at CSFrace dot com - wit subject N55 intercooler hardware.

3) Very sorry that the quality of our supplied hardware does not meet the mark for many of you, and match the high quality of the intercooler that we've created. We'll do our best to satisfy all of our customers with a solution - We appreciate everyone's business, and as premier cooling company we want to not just meet customer expectations, but exceed it.

If anyone has any suggestions or more info,. please email me with the subject - N55 washer suggestion - I'll be happy to engage with you over an email.

thank you,

Ravi Dolwani
Owner - CSF
Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50
Smiler1.50
      03-07-2023, 12:12 PM   #21
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
Hi Everyone - owner of CSF chiming in here.

1) I'm working on a solution for all current owners and future purchasers - We're going to make a custom washer that contours to the tank and has some adjustably - the washer wil be 2x as thick as the current washers supplied for added assurance.

2) If you have a CSF intercooler and you want upgraded hardware, please email info at CSFrace dot com - wit subject N55 intercooler hardware.

3) Very sorry that the quality of our supplied hardware does not meet the mark for many of you, and match the high quality of the intercooler that we've created. We'll do our best to satisfy all of our customers with a solution - We appreciate everyone's business, and as premier cooling company we want to not just meet customer expectations, but exceed it.

If anyone has any suggestions or more info,. please email me with the subject - N55 washer suggestion - I'll be happy to engage with you over an email.

thank you,

Ravi Dolwani
Owner - CSF
Great post, and thank you!

I think, beyond making bespoke hardware, you could just tell guys in a small note on top when they open the box that fitment isn't going to be exact, as you're trying to fit a much larger intercooler in the stock position, but it should fit 9/10 and be 100% secure with the supplied hardware kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 09:56 PM   #22
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

With several postings going back since CSF started shipping for the M2 ...regarding the mounting hardwares included (or not).... it's about time. Hope this really happen.

Thanks.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS

Last edited by vrooooom; 03-07-2023 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0