BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > In search for the perfect OCC

10-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #1
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
After installing my new turbo inlet pipe I decided I'd like to add an addition of a oil catch can

I'm looking for the perfect oil catch can for the OG M2… Something super compact

Here is a picture of FTPs It's definitely a strong congratulation

If you're running a OCC please post pictures of where you mounted it and what you think of it etc.
Attached Images

10-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
As per our other conversation just wanted to reply anyway for awareness.

My vote is still the Turner OCC. I still consider the thing as plug and play even if engine cover has to be cut. Definitely the best I've seen. Would not recommend BMS you need to do your own custom mounting and piping thing don't fit (It used to be advertised as fitting the F87).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
As per our other conversation just wanted to reply anyway for awareness.

My vote is still the Turner OCC. I still consider the thing as plug and play even if engine cover has to be cut. Definitely the best I've seen. Would not recommend BMS you need to do your own custom mounting and piping thing don't fit (It used to be advertised as fitting the F87).
Turner emailed me and said they offered FTP, is that the one you possibly have ?

Post a couple pictures when you're able

Thanks
      10-12-2021, 01:04 PM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Has anyone considered feeding the breather into the inlet manifold in some way?

But more seriously: If you must, just find a small K&N or similar oiled filter that will fit over the oil filler on the cam cover. The excess crankcase pressure will vent to atmosphere while the oil vapour stays on the inside of the filter.

Last edited by M Fifty; 10-12-2021 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #5
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post

But more seriously: If you must, just find a small K&N or similar oiled filter that will fit over the oil filler on the cam cover. The excess crankcase pressure will vent to atmosphere while the oil vapour stays on the inside of the filter.
Not into smelling oil in the passenger compartment

An open catch can is not something I'd ever consider

A baffled OCC does a really good job catching oil sludge
      10-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

You've got bigger problems if the OCC is collecting sludge rather than excess engine oil.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      10-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #7
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:

You've got bigger problems if the OCC is collecting sludge rather than excess engine oil.
Agreed

It's nasty regardless
      10-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed

It's nasty regardless
I've yet to see a UOA that would suggest an OCC is necessary on the N55/S55.

My old Mazdaspeed3 needed one as it had a bad pcv setup and fuel dilution issues. But that was apparent looking at UOAs and 2008 oil tech.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
I've yet to see a UOA that would suggest an OCC is necessary on the N55/S55.

My old Mazdaspeed3 needed one as it had a bad pcv setup and fuel dilution issues. But that was apparent looking at UOAs and 2008 oil tech.
+1

Also like I said below the occ will not catch all vapors on the n55 unless you plug the head ports and vent to atmosphere via a vented oil filler cap. If you plug the head ports and do not vent via the oil filler cap you will blow your valve cover, because there is 2 pcv sides: boost activated and vaccumn activated (taken care of by the head ports and the valve cover pcv hose where current occs attach). If you plug the head ports and do not vent to atmosphere either the vaccumn or boost pcv side (can't remember which one is which) will not work and this is bad.

Quote:
Sludge forms from fuel dilution and mixing with moisture, it is really common actually to have pcv vapors be a thick sluge like consistency and not be exactly like oil. But technically if it is like mud that's not a good thing because your pcv system will get clogged.

Quote:

Won't work, the N55 has a vaccumn sensor, so if you vent to atmosphere without plugging the head ports it will trigger a CEL due to a vaccumn leak.

To vent to atmosphere via the pcv opening on the valve cover, or a vented oil cap - you must take off the intake manifold and tap and plug each port going to the intake valves. This is bmw's "dual" exit pcv setup on the N55, you have two ways for the crank case vapors to escape - I believe one side is vaccumn operated for idling and one side is boost activated for on boost conditions.

So technically even with an OCC you will not be able to catch all crank case vapors, and the crank case side where current occ's attach does not seem to produce alot of vapors in most n55's - depending on how well you followed break in procedure and how well your piston rings seal. For isntance on my m2, my pcv hose is dry even when sticking my finger inside it isn't even a bit oily, same goes for the turbo inlet pipe. So on my m2 an occ is useless.
      10-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

In summary use good oil and fuel, to ensure when fuel vapors contact oil vapors sludge doesn't form. Use an oil with low noack % (oil volatility to forming vapors) to ensure oil vapors stay to a minimum and thus minimize the amount of possible fuel and oil vapors mixing, and not super high saps oil like mobil1 0w40 which will form sluge and carbon deposits - which is why this oil is not recommended for DI cars.

Last edited by F87source; 10-12-2021 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      10-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #11
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
In summary use good oil and fuel, to ensure when fuel vapors contact oil vapors sludge doesn't form. Use an oil with low noack % (oil volatility to forming vapors) to ensure oil vapors stay to a minimum, and not super high saps oil like mobil1 0w40 which will form sluge and carbon deposits - which is why this oil is not recommended for DI cars.
Well as you know 😉 I use both good oil and good fuel so maybe I should just not worry about it

I've got much bigger fish to fry

Thanks for your input
      10-12-2021, 04:34 PM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well as you know 😉 I use both good oil and good fuel so maybe I should just not worry about

Thanks for your input
I recommend you take off your pcv hose and put your finger in it (be careful so your finger doesn't get stuck), and see how much oil you have. If your hose is dry, or has very little oil then there is no need for an oil catch can. There's not much oil vapors being released there anyways. Also check your stock turbo inlet to see if there is oil there.

Like I said before the n55 has a really good pcv system on top of bmw being reknowned for their state of the art pcv system vs. any other manufactuerer, we (n55 guys) almost always don't need an occ. Of course on some other cars that may not be the case - again depends on how you broke in your car (so for anyone that doesn't follow the break in intervals now you understand why they exist) which dictates how those piston rings bedded in and how well they seal. Because if you abused your car while it was new and the cylinder walls still have alot of cross hatches from machining, well then your piston rings are going to get beat up more and might have a bit more wear than normal, and thus now don't seal as good and you burn more oil as a result - also impacting how much pcv vapors released. Or you can be unlucky and have poor tolerances from factory.
      10-12-2021, 11:31 PM   #13
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Well as you know 😉 I use both good oil and good fuel so maybe I should just not worry about

Thanks for your input
I recommend you take off your pcv hose and put your finger in it (be careful so your finger doesn't get stuck), and see how much oil you have. If your hose is dry, or has very little oil then there is no need for an oil catch can. There's not much oil vapors being released there anyways. Also check your stock turbo inlet to see if there is oil there.

Like I said before the n55 has a really good pcv system on top of bmw being reknowned for their state of the art pcv system vs. any other manufactuerer, we (n55 guys) almost always don't need an occ. Of course on some other cars that may not be the case - again depends on how you broke in your car (so for anyone that doesn't follow the break in intervals now you understand why they exist) which dictates how those piston rings bedded in and how well they seal. Because if you abused your car while it was new and the cylinder walls still have alot of cross hatches from machining, well then your piston rings are going to get beat up more and might have a bit more wear than normal, and thus now don't seal as good and you burn more oil as a result - also impacting how much pcv vapors released. Or you can be unlucky and have poor tolerances from factory.
Yep I pulled the PCV hose off the top of the motor and placed my finger inside and there was only a slight residue and the slight smell of oil but not really any oil on my finger as you mentioned

However I did see a little bit of oil in my charge-pipe when I changed it out
      10-12-2021, 11:35 PM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yep I pulled the PCV hose off the top of the motor and placed my finger inside and there was only a slight residue and the slight smell of oil but not really any oil on my finger as you mentioned

That's not too bad, you might not need an occ in that case.

Wait on your charge pipe? Do you mean turbo inlet? Note your factory charge pipe should be glossy inside but dry, aside from the area where bmw used their silicone lube.

For me my inlet pipe was bone dry, my outlet pipe was bone dry, my intercooler hotside and cold side was bone dry literally no residue whatsoever, same with the factory charge pipe. So I am really pleased with my car, and I assume my variable rpm break in method worked.
      10-12-2021, 11:37 PM   #15
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:

That's not too bad, you might not need an occ in that case.

Wait on your charge pipe? Do you mean turbo inlet? Note your factory charge pipe should be glossy inside but dry, aside from the area where bmw used their silicone lube.

For me my inlet pipe was bone dry, my outlet pipe was bone dry, my intercooler hotside and cold side was bone dry literally no residue whatsoever, same with the factory charge pipe. So I am really pleased with my car, and I assume my variable rpm break in method worked.
Yes that's correct

My charge pipe had a small amount of oil in it
      10-12-2021, 11:51 PM   #16
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's correct

Was there oil in your intercooler? That should be where oil pools.

If not imo you're ok without an occ, if there is then you should look for an occ.
      10-12-2021, 11:54 PM   #17
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes that's correct

Was there oil in your intercooler? That should be where oil pools.

If not imo you're ok without an occ, if there is then you should look for an occ.
I will let you know I haven't installed it yet
      10-13-2021, 12:05 AM   #18
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I will let you know I haven't installed it yet
Sounds good. Generally the intercooler is where oil vapors tend to condense and pool, because of the temperature drop and the fins forcing oil droplets out of suspension - like a big oil catch can.

So if your stock intercooler has oil in it, you need an occ.
///M TOWN16566.50
      10-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #19
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Turner emailed me and said they offered FTP, is that the one you possibly have ?

Thanks
The OCC I have is BMS with the home-depot mounting solution and random hoses LOL, I posted some pictures on your thread about turbo inlet. I read the rest of the reply, just FYI I haven't accumulated a single drop of oil in my OCC, there is just a slight oily smell in my catch can. My stock intercooler when I took it off was also bone dry. I also think where the OCC needs to go on our cars above the exhaust/turbo, it gets way too hot. During the summer I took some temp readings the OCC sits at a minimum at 100C and during auto cross I got as hot as 120C. Not that it would vaporize engine oil on paper but I'm sure anything accumulated probably weathers off the fumes out of the catch can (Like how you don't need 100C to dry a wet towel).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #20
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
Quote:

Thanks
The OCC I have is BMS with the home-depot mounting solution and random hoses LOL, I posted some pictures on your thread about turbo inlet. I read the rest of the reply, just FYI I haven't accumulated a single drop of oil in my OCC, there is just a slight oily smell in my catch can. My stock intercooler when I took it off was also bone dry. I also think where the OCC needs to go on our cars above the exhaust/turbo, it gets way too hot. During the summer I took some temp readings the OCC sits at a minimum at 100C and during auto cross I got as hot as 120C. Not that it would vaporize engine oil on paper but I'm sure anything accumulated probably weathers off the fumes out of the catch can (Like how you don't need 100C to dry a wet towel).
I'd probably heat wrap mine because of the location

I saw your post but without better lights it's very hard to see yours at all besides the brackets

I'm looking at turners because of the well thought out design and their mounting brackets are on point w a perfect installation
      10-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #21
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Why would you care how hot it gets? It's there to collect anything that the engine vents, rather than feeding it back into the inlet tract where deposits might restrict airflow. If it doesn't create oily odours in the interior, I'm not seeing a problem if it evaporates compared to being (partially) burnt and vented via the exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #22
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Why would you care how hot it gets? It's there to collect anything that the engine vents, rather than feeding it back into the inlet tract where deposits might restrict airflow. If it doesn't create oily odours in the interior, I'm not seeing a problem if it evaporates compared to being (partially) burnt and vented via the exhaust...
You're right

It's not going to be an issue
Attached Images

Last edited by ///M TOWN; 10-14-2021 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0