BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Charge pipe

09-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Ok so I just purchased a BM3 license for my OG 17' M2 and waiting for the activation key from @mike extreme power house (I don't know how to mention people ahah but amazing service ), and it got me thinking about my charge pipe as I do plan in the near future to do a stage 2 because I already ordered a sports cat DP and it makes me half way there
I know there are tons of topics about if you do a stage 2 or above a charge pipe is almost a must as the stock one is known to crack/fail, as mine and others did even on stock everything, but a fellow member noticed that when we got our charge pipes changed we got a revised charge pipe from warranty that has an extended lip (photos below) and i was wondering if anybody had his car tuned with the stock revised charge pipe or has any idea weather the revised one will be able to coup with the higher boot (from knowing if the lip is always the part which fails or maybe it's not even the reason to change the charge pipe ?).
Thanks for all the helpers!
Disclaimer all the photos aren't mine I didn't take good photos ahah
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
revised part or not, it's a stupid thing to cheap out on IMO if you're going to tune the car
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
revised part or not, it's a stupid thing to cheap out on IMO if you're going to tune the car
Where I live a used 2017 M2 costs 100K+ $ (and all the cars are expensive of course) so it's not about cheeping out.. having an OEM part that's designed to coup with all the heat and pressure (unlike most metal after market that conduct heat and it gets to 42 Celsius/108 Fahrenheit over here quite often in the summer) it seems logical to me and others from what I've read so I know it's debatable but it's not the topic and I really don't want this thread to go sideways ahah, so I'm thinking maybe the revised charge pipe would be more than adequate for the job
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahaf2911 View Post
Where I live a used 2017 M2 costs 100K+ $ (and all the cars are expensive of course) so it's not about cheeping out.. having an OEM part that's designed to coup with all the heat and pressure (unlike most metal after market that conduct heat and it gets to 42 Celsius/108 Fahrenheit over here quite often in the summer) it seems logical to me and others from what I've read so I know it's debatable but it's not the topic and I really don't want this thread to go sideways ahah, so I'm thinking maybe the revised charge pipe would be more than adequate for the job
I guess it depends on your appetite for risk then. With the stock pipe, there a risk of it blowing and potentially leaving the car undriveable. I've not seen any reports of higher IATs with an aftermarket charge pipe.

FWIW, I'm in TX, we see 100+ degree temps for the entire summer. There's no way I'd risk it with a stock charge pipe, even if it meant sacrificing a few HP to higher IATs
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:
I guess it depends on your appetite for risk then. With the stock pipe, there a risk of it blowing and potentially leaving the car undriveable. I've not seen any reports of higher IATs with an aftermarket charge pipe.

FWIW, I'm in TX, we see 100+ degree temps for the entire summer. There's no way I'd risk it with a stock charge pipe, even if it meant sacrificing a few HP to higher IATs
So a charge pipe added to the list with the stage 2 it is
I just don't know how strong and durable the revised one is so I figured it's best to check in advance here instead of taking the gamble of it failing in my car, which I won't but I always check if people do it ahah (as people experiment with how strong and reliable each part of the engine is when tuning a new model for the first time)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Honestly the VRSF one is cheap and it'll get the job done, doesn't make sense to not go for it in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the shout out OP

Quote:
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

maybe check the 2 series boards to see if anyone with the revised charge pipe has had a failure?

also get an upgraded intercooler, unless you live in Iceland.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #9
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
maybe check the 2 series boards to see if anyone with the revised charge pipe has had a failure?

also get an upgraded intercooler, unless you live in Iceland.
I do think I will just buy a charge pipe for a peaceful mind ahah
Thou the intercooler is a must, it's even needed in some days in the winter over here lol
Appreciate 0