11-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #23
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
As far as a vehicle as complex and made to beat on like an M2 and M3... no one can even come remotely close except maybe Porsche.
Ahhh, try again.

Ever heard of Crank Hub problem on the S55? Or the newly announced recall on rod bearings on the S55 again? E92 M3 was far from problem free in the engine bay too.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #24
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Quote:
As far as a vehicle as complex and made to beat on like an M2 and M3... no one can even come remotely close except maybe Porsche.
Ahhh, try again.

Ever heard of Crank Hub problem on the S55? Or the newly announced recall on rod bearings on the S55 again? E92 M3 was far from problem free in the engine bay too.
Incorrect... a very isolated issue that affected a number of cars most of which were tuned. A family member had a 2015 m3 that was beat to no end day in and day out for 41k miles... the car was undeniably the definition of bulletproof. Comparatively a simple Honda which is made to do mundate point a to point b task falling apart is completely unacceptable at this point.
      11-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #25
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Incorrect... a very isolated issue that affected a number of cars most of which were tuned. A family member had a 2015 m3 that was beat to no end day in and day out for 41k miles... the car was undeniably the definition of bulletproof. Comparatively a simple Honda which is made to do mundate point a to point b task falling apart is completely unacceptable at this point.
I’m not comparing the two by any means. But BMW and “reliable” does not go in the same sentence. The crank issue is not isolated. BMW issued a recall for the bearings. That tells you how “isolated” it is.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1777662

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 11-25-2020 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #26
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Ahhh, try again.

The recall effected exactly 1 day of production on the S55 motor. The reality is it’s either a problem with that batch of bearings or issues with the actual assembly. I really don’t think the rod bearings is a problem for the S55 in general. Crank hub is definitely another story though.

S58 might have a larger problem as their recall was over months of production.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      11-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #27
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

I think we are all pretty much F***ED, Happy thanksgiving guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #28
Mosef81
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 mineral grey

Reliability aside..

Driving wise these are two different beasts, but enthusiasts will find different things to like about them.

Call me crazy but the type R is to a civic, what a gt3 is to a 911. The suspension and chassis are seriously sorted, the gearbox (not the grindy ones) is fantastic in its feel - like a rifle bolt. The car is set up to tackle twisty roads as fast as possible and be as practical as possible. Practically it's really easy to live with, have kids in, large trunk to fit all their stuff...

It however does not replace an M2. The M2 has far more options in terms of throttle adjustability through a corner. The engine has a lot more grunt and character, although gearbox is a bit rubbery. Its brief, in my mind, is to drive down a twisty road having the most fun, with practicality added on.

Now, what I do think the type r should replace are those awful beaver toothed SUVs that 'enthusiasts' drive around in... There is no need for an x3m when there is a type r..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #29
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosef81 View Post
Reliability aside..

Driving wise these are two different beasts, but enthusiasts will find different things to like about them.

Call me crazy but the type R is to a civic, what a gt3 is to a 911. The suspension and chassis are seriously sorted, the gearbox (not the grindy ones) is fantastic in its feel - like a rifle bolt. The car is set up to tackle twisty roads as fast as possible and be as practical as possible. Practically it's really easy to live with, have kids in, large trunk to fit all their stuff...

It however does not replace an M2. The M2 has far more options in terms of throttle adjustability through a corner. The engine has a lot more grunt and character, although gearbox is a bit rubbery. Its brief, in my mind, is to drive down a twisty road having the most fun, with practicality added on.

Now, what I do think the type r should replace are those awful beaver toothed SUVs that 'enthusiasts' drive around in... There is no need for an x3m when there is a type r..
Great points. But one thing that ups the Type R from the M2, M2C is the adaptive suspension the M2s lack the few people points out. Owning both, I can definitely say, for a daily I’m just enjoying the Type R more and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #30
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Sorry but it's still FWD and I don't care what anyone says. That's lame. Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #31
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

I strongly considered a Type R for a daily, super cool car. Sadly no heated seats was a deal breaker for me tho lol.
      11-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #32
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Fun fact... I had a 6spd manual 2008 Civic... it was the 2nd most unreliable car i've ever owned... and I had a 135i and 335i both with N54 motors .

I've tracked cars since 1989.

Ford SHO's
BMW M cars (E36, E46 & M2C)
FRS
EVO X

I 100% agree that the BMW's and P-Cars are by far the most reliable for a street/track toy.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
ASAP10057.00
      11-30-2020, 09:22 PM   #33
Rob495
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 Manual M3

Interestingly enough I traded in my white 2019 Type R for a 2021 M2 Comp about 12 hours ago. I can’t comment about the performance of the M2 since I haven’t pushed it yet but I will say that I loved my Type R. Best combo of fun, daily drivability, value for dollar, performance, and looks (yes I said looks). The car was able carry my wife and kids (18 and 7 y/o) with ease and swallow large amounts of items in the rear. Acceleration was decent but the handling was incredible for a FWD platform, much more confidence inspiring than my old s2000, CTSV, Miata, Evo, and Cayman S especially at higher speeds. The shifter was sublime........when it was cooperative. Hence my trade. My transmission had 2nd gear grinds, 4th gear grinds, and 4th gear lock out. Every time I drove the car, at least one of the issues would rear its ugly head. On Sat, I merged onto the highway. I hit 2nd and CRUNCH, I left off and immediately went back into neutral. I tried again and the SAME thing happened. The third try was a charm but the bonehead behind me almost rear ended me while I had my kids and wife in the car. So pissed that I started looking on the internet and found my current ride. I would have never traded in the Type R if it weren’t for that one flaw. I’m looking forward to the next several years with my SO M2 Comp.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #34
ironray
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob495 View Post
Interestingly enough I traded in my white 2019 Type R for a 2021 M2 Comp about 12 hours ago. I can’t comment about the performance of the M2 since I haven’t pushed it yet but I will say that I loved my Type R. Best combo of fun, daily drivability, value for dollar, performance, and looks (yes I said looks). The car was able carry my wife and kids (18 and 7 y/o) with ease and swallow large amounts of items in the rear. Acceleration was decent but the handling was incredible for a FWD platform, much more confidence inspiring than my old s2000, CTSV, Miata, Evo, and Cayman S especially at higher speeds. The shifter was sublime........when it was cooperative. Hence my trade. My transmission had 2nd gear grinds, 4th gear grinds, and 4th gear lock out. Every time I drove the car, at least one of the issues would rear its ugly head. On Sat, I merged onto the highway. I hit 2nd and CRUNCH, I left off and immediately went back into neutral. I tried again and the SAME thing happened. The third try was a charm but the bonehead behind me almost rear ended me while I had my kids and wife in the car. So pissed that I started looking on the internet and found my current ride. I would have never traded in the Type R if it weren’t for that one flaw. I’m looking forward to the next several years with my SO M2 Comp.

Congratulations you made the right move. I agree with you on the handling. I pushed the CTR to the limit on turns and it was a remarkable car for turns. Mine was tuned and acceleration was fair but at the end of the day its still a front wheel drive. Don’t feel disappointed you weren’t the the only one with transmission grind. I went to a cars and coffee and came across other CTR owners that claimed that their trans didn’t grind but once we swapped cars to drive their trans were grinding too. I have been driving a clutch for 38 years. Honda’s manual transmission has weak internals. Their transmissions can’t handle the horsepower that the CTR produces. Good luck with you M2C. You will never miss the Honda
Appreciate 0