BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AutoSolutions M2 Comp Short Shift Kit Quick Review

05-12-2019, 01:07 AM   #1
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

AutoSolutions M2 Comp Short Shift Kit Quick Review

I haven't seen too many of these installed on the M2, so I thought I'd give a quick review. AutoSolutions is generally known to have made the best SSK for the E46 M3, and probably the best SSK's in general short of (pun intended) something like CAE. The owner, Ron, has an amazing knowledge base and understanding of BMW shifters. I went back and forth with Ron for months, and he finally agreed to make me a SSK for the M2 Comp (but should fit the OG M2 as well). Mine was a bit custom in the throws, feel, and length. I wanted something with noticeably shorter throws and minimal increase in shifting effort. Ron analyzed the weakest parts of BMW's current shifter design, and only replaced the parts that he felt made a significant difference.

I had considered doing the install myself, but so glad I didn't. Performance Technic did the install, and they had to remove the plastic covers, multiple heat shields, and the exhaust; and partially move/drop the transmission and driveshaft. They did an excellent job. Due to the parts this kit replaces, the install is not possible from the top.

The OEM components feel cheap and flimsy in comparison, even though they are not. OEM:

The good stuff:

So how is it? I didn't think BMW's current shifter was too bad, especially compared to older BMW's, that had almost an inch of play while IN GEAR. However, the AutoSolutions SSK makes the OEM one feel mushy and vague. The shifts are extremely solid, precise, and crisp; they feel almost magnetic. There is definitely more connection with the car; everything just feels so much more direct. I did notice a slight increase in engine noise, but I view that as a positive; you have more communication with the car. There is not a noticeable increase in vibrations. This does not feel like an evolutionary improvement of the OEM shifter; it feels completely different, almost revolutionary. It seems even better when you shift fast. I feel like a race car driver I have no problems with the auto-rev-matching. Everything works smoothly. There is a slight increase in shift effort required. But very importantly, it is very easy to shift into first. I already liked the M2 a lot; this makes me like it a lot more.

A quick vid of the shorter throws:

One important thing worth mentioning is that it sits completely centered, the same as OEM, when in neutral. Previous kits for F-series cars from other manufacturers had problems with the shifter not resting properly in neutral, or the knob being twisted. This kit has none of those issues.

Last edited by RocketBoots; 05-13-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 12
      05-12-2019, 01:18 AM   #2
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Nice. I love a good short shift.
Thankfully on the M2C mine was delivered with one
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Those guys at Performance Technic are pretty awesome they did my dinan big turbo upgrade on my og M2. My M2C will def be going back to them.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:33 AM   #4
_tphamm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2C

Thanks for the review OP! Could you post a link to the product?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:13 AM   #5
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post

Good to hear you're happy with it, my Auto Solutions kit arrived last week & being installed in a couple of days. Expect my only regret will be that I didn't do it sooner.

Last edited by David.m; 05-14-2019 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tphamm View Post
Link to Auto Solutions website here http://www.autosolutions.net

F8X series aren't mentioned on the website but he has done many I believe, email Ronald and you will get very a detailed and informative response.
Appreciate 1
_tphamm199.00
      05-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I had my Autosolutions SSK installed over the weekend as well. It seems that as it warms up, it will become more sticky (see video).

I had it installed with the rear PU shifter bushing from Turner, but my kit didn't come with the blue bushings in your picture. I wonder if there's different kits from Ron.

Cheers,
Sunny
      05-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #8
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post

I had my Autosolutions SSK installed over the weekend as well. It seems that as it warms up, it will become more sticky (see video).

I had it installed with the rear PU shifter bushing from Turner, but my kit didn't come with the blue bushings in your picture. I wonder if there's different kits from Ron.

Cheers,
Sunny
What would cause it to stick like that? AFAIK there's like two springs (one on each side) that centers it?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #9
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Cheers,
Sunny
Have you contacted Ronald? I've found that he is very quick to reply to any questions
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #10
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tphamm View Post
As David.m linked, that's the site; unfortunately, it isn't very updated, but does contain a lot of info on shifter design. I think he spends all his time on the shifters instead of web pages, lol. Ron's done a decent amount of F80/F82 kits. You'll have to email/call him about the M2 kit.

ashtaron14 That seems very odd. Definitely shoot Ron an email. I think you may have gotten a longer throw than me (not that it matters). Is it just the camera angle, or is your shift knob twisted a bit?? Also, what rear bushing did you replace?? I didn't replace anything other than what was in the kit.

The blue bushings are upgraded urethane bushings; I believe he was using OEM bushings before. Ron said there are always tradeoffs, but thinks he found the right magic formula. I have no complaints
Appreciate 1
fixa1.50
      05-15-2019, 02:30 AM   #11
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
ashtaron14 That seems very odd. Definitely shoot Ron an email. I think you may have gotten a longer throw than me (not that it matters). Is it just the camera angle, or is your shift knob twisted a bit?? Also, what rear bushing did you replace?? I didn't replace anything other than what was in the kit.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...ifter-bushing/
I replaced this bushing.

I specifically asked Ron to make me a SSK that retains the stock height of the shift knob, so yeah it could be a longer throw. My shift knob isn't twisted but my car is a RHD so it could well be the angle of my video. I've emailed Ron with my video & explanation, and will see how he responds.
      05-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #12
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...ifter-bushing/
I replaced this bushing.

I specifically asked Ron to make me a SSK that retains the stock height of the shift knob, so yeah it could be a longer throw. My shift knob isn't twisted but my car is a RHD so it could well be the angle of my video. I've emailed Ron with my video & explanation, and will see how he responds.
Ahh, I see. That’s a great pic on Turners website showing that it’s impossible to do this install without dropping the driveshaft a bit. Just curious, why did you replace that rear bushing?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Ahh, I see. That’s a great pic on Turners website showing that it’s impossible to do this install without dropping the driveshaft a bit. Just curious, why did you replace that rear bushing?
Actually, the photo shows the CF Driveshaft from the F8x M3/M4, and the driveshaft's angle on the M2C isn't as tight, especially with Asian hands

As to why I chose to replace it, I guess Turner's explanation was convincing that it's a weak link, and the OEM piece is quite flimsy.
      05-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #14
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '02 330Ci

That's a really nice short shift kit. I had one in my last two cars and love them. Was curious about these for the M2C, and now I'll have to look really hard at getting one.
      05-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #15
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '02 330Ci

Quote:

Cheers,
Sunny
Do you have the part number for your lighted shift knob? I've always loved them.
      05-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #16
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ack_ View Post
Do you have the part number for your lighted shift knob? I've always loved them.
It's the F10 M5 Shift Knob modded to fit onto the M2C, but you lose the blue/orange stitching while gaining the light.
      05-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #17
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

OP, thanks to your posts I'm in discussion with Ron this week.

He is running a batch of M2 shifter's this week.

I'm going for 10mm shorter and 20% movement reduction. He includes poly bushes for $40 which I'm having.

RHD shifters do look twisted towards left driver side. My factory and m perf shifters are ever so slightly twisted.

What a great guy he is, never had such in depth discussion with a shop before!

Last edited by doughboy; 05-19-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #18
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's the F10 M5 Shift Knob modded to fit onto the M2C, but you lose the blue/orange stitching while gaining the light.
Ron advised that the f10 M5 knob is 13mm shorter than OE M2 knob, so he said don't go for reduced shifter height if fitting shorter knob as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #19
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:
Ron advised that the f10 M5 knob is 13mm shorter than OE M2 knob, so he said don't go for reduced shifter height if fitting shorter knob as well.
I didn't feel a height difference in the Stock M2C knob and the Stock F10 M5 knob at all when I was modifying it into the M2C trim

05-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #20
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good to hear! Ron said he's been working on finding the magic formula for those bushings, and after years, thinks this is the one. It's incredible how much thought goes into these little details, and how much of a tangible difference it can make.

I actually do not remember the % reduction in my throws, but to me, the firm, crisp action was more notable. So damn crispy!

Be warned, it will feel like a greater shifting effort at first, especially with your shorter length. I adjusted to mine in about a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
OP, thanks to your posts I'm in discussion with Ron this week.

He is running a batch of M2 shifter's this week.

I'm going for 10mm shorter and 20% movement reduction. He includes poly bushes for $40 which I'm having.

RHD shifters do look twisted towards left driver side. My factory and m perf shifters are ever so slightly twisted.

What a great guy he is, never had such in depth discussion with a shop before!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:43 PM   #21
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I went for the less severe 20% reduction.

But like you say it''s the snickety-snick action that will make it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #22
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Are the bushings required to remove the OEM slop? Would it be worth to change it all out at once, or is most of the effect felt due to the SSK?
Appreciate 0