BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > We peel back the camouflage on the BMW M2 - updated in Long Beach Blue

08-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #221
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

I really hope the front bumper will look good in reality...

From what I've seen so far it looks hideous.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #222
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

So it is getting the S55? I heard N55...

I honestly haven't made my decision on whether I'm going to "attempt" buying one (since this is in such high demand). If the car comes with the s55+upgrades and a nice outer shell worth selling my car for I will most likely try. I'll also weight the M2 upgrades vs what I would do to my car to improve performance ($/$).

I'm not a purist or after the "M" bragging rights. I'm looking for the best starting point to build out. So if the M2 comes with a detuned n55 that I can bring up to serious power then I'll go for it (even if it meets my needs in the looks department 85%). I'm just busting chops here. Not sure why so many folks are getting so bent because some find the car to be missing something.

My M235i sits at 382/455 running all Dinan upgrades. I'm very happy with the car.

As for the rear bumper, mirrors, and wheels. Rear bumper on my car I like (diffuser I'll change), upgrading the mirrors to me is somewhat pointless unless i'm trying to save 3lbs (maybe I'm not in tune with the aero benefits) and the wheels I buy my own. The widebody isn't looking so great based on the renders so I wont miss anything there.

I recently got invited to a BMW Track event at Monticello MotorClub and I drove the M4/5/6/x5 on autocross and track and I must say that my car on the street feels punchier and a ton more nimble than any of the cars (targeting primarily m4). I was also a tad disappointed with the DCT through the autocross (M4) the car just felt like it was in the wrong gear at all times (it was in auto instructor forced it). I also found it strange that while doing the hot laps with the instructor our "M" car kept over heating. We did 4 laps and every lap in the same spot we were over heating (so much for a track car). This showed me that if i buy an M car I still need to upgrade cooling.

I really hope they nail it with the M2 (not trying to come across as a hater).

Based on the renders and what I've heard regarding the "N55" I'll keep my car and I'll continue to build a 1 off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
And change everything from the waste down to M3/M4 components, including the suspension, and widen the track as well. And upgrade your engine with S55 parts, don't forget that.

Don't forget also to calibrate your cars software with months and months of testing and development to meet the desired character for the car. You'll also have to get a new rear bumper as yours won't feature the same aero nor fit the stock M exhaust.

Also add M mirrors and 19 inch M3/4 wheels.

That's a lot of stuff, maybe it'd be better just to buy an M2?

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #223
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

beautiful render, i was under the impression that the rims would have the silverish color on the outter part, has this detail been confirmed anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #224
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post

I honestly haven't made my decision on whether I'm going to "attempt" buying one (since this is in such high demand). If the car comes with the s55+upgrades and a nice outer shell worth selling my car for I will most likely try. I'll also weight the M2 upgrades vs what I would do to my car to improve performance ($/$).

I'm not a purist or after the "M" bragging rights. I'm looking for the best starting point to build out. So if the M2 comes with a detuned n55 that I can bring up to serious power then I'll go for it (even if it meets my needs in the looks department 85%). I'm just busting chops here. Not sure why so many folks are getting so bent because some find the car to be missing something.

My M235i sits at 382/455 running all Dinan upgrades. I'm very happy with the car.

As for the rear bumper, mirrors, and wheels. Rear bumper on my car I like (diffuser I'll change), upgrading the mirrors to me is somewhat pointless unless i'm trying to save 3lbs (maybe I'm not in tune with the aero benefits) and the wheels I buy my own. The widebody isn't looking so great based on the renders so I wont miss anything there.

I recently got invited to a BMW Track event at Monticello MotorClub and I drove the M4/5/6/x5 on autocross and track and I must say that my car on the street feels punchier and a ton more nimble than any of the cars (targeting primarily m4). I was also a tad disappointed with the DCT through the autocross (M4) the car just felt like it was in the wrong gear at all times (it was in auto instructor forced it). I also found it strange that while doing the hot laps with the instructor our "M" car kept over heating. We did 4 laps and every lap in the same spot we were over heating (so much for a track car). This showed me that if i buy an M car I still need to upgrade cooling.

Based on the renders and what I've heard regarding the "N55" I'll keep my car and I'll continue to build a 1 off.
No offense, but you sound like the 135i guys when discussing the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #225
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
The leaked engine code is N55B30T0. See source @ http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953325

The breakdown is:

N - Engine family. N means BMW engines from 2001-2013. S would mean BMW Motorsport engine. P for racing.
5 - Number of cylinders. Strangely 5 means I6. A 6 would indicate V8 (just another example).
5 - Variation. The fifth variation of the I6 in the N family of engines.
B - Fuel type. B is gasoline. D would be diesel.
30 - Displacement. 30 is equivalent to 3.0 liters.
O - Output class. O is "upper output". Above that is T (top) and S (super).
1 - Technical version. Can be 0-9.

Source for code breakdown: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-BMW-Engine-Codes.aspx

There will be revisions to the engine to support the higher output, but I wouldn't expect anything major. The 1M came with an N54B30T0, as did the E89 Z4. Neither of those engines had anything close to the level of technology present in the S55.

Just keeping it real here. There are a lot of outsized expectations of the M2 engine floating around, IMO.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 2
      08-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #226
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
The car wont crank 400+ either. Crank will probably be 365-370. If its wheels get around 340 WHP, that doesn't mean the crank will be 390 hp at 15% drivetrain loss. With all the new technologies with driveshafts, electric steering and modern differentials the loss in driveshaft is NOT going to be 15%. More like 7%, which would make 340 at the wheels, the crank might be around 365 HP, which is rumored. Honestly, saying the F80 cranks 460 HP because the WHP is 400 doesn't make sense. At the M4 you can also count at around 7% loss, not 15%. So 400 WHP in the M4 will give 430 HP, as advertised, and not a lot more. The 15% loss in drivetrain made sense with the huge driveshafts and hydraulic steering, but nowadays with the M4 having carbon propshafts and electric steering, 5-7% makes more sense in a sporty RWD car, and 12-15% in AWD.
Either way, if the M2 dynos at 340 whp, that is only 10 whp less than the 414hp E92 M3. So 340 whp is equivalent to 400hp cars of just two years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #227
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

When going from a regular BMW to an M, the biggest shift is in the chassis. The M2, in particular, is all about the chassis. IMO, the engine will be nothing to write home about. I don't think it will matter though. The M2 will be all about the chassis. Driven back to back with the 1-series, all other BMW's felt large. The 1-series had a shorter wheelbase, which gave it a more nimble feel. The trade-off was that the 1-series was easier to unsettle. Whether someone prefers it to a larger car, like the 3/4-series, is a matter of personal preference.

As for your driving experience, I would say that an auto-x course is always going to favor the smaller car. I'm a little bit surprised at the overheating issues, given the amount of heat management on M-cars, but again, we're talking auto-x. The cooling systems require airflow to be effective, and auto-x speeds are too low for them to be really effective.

Auto-x is a unique motorsport, and IMO, BMW doesn't really build a strong auto-x offering. The 2-series is the best fit, but it's still not a terribly good auto-x platform because of its weight. If your plan is to auto-x, by all means, stick with what works best, but judging the M lineup in any broader context based on auto-x experience would be a mistake.

As far as platforms for auto-x go, the M2 would be far superior to the base M235i because of the upgraded suspension and wider track on a car with the same wheelbase. You don't need more power. You need less weight and more grip.

EDIT: Unfortunately, you're still going to get destroyed by a Miata though :P
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #228
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
He said he has already ordered his car and he had the option to add LCI LEDs upfront. So not speaking about fog lights, an option not available on M cars since the E46 or something like that (X cars excluded).
Wait...really?? Interesting. I must have missed the post...I'm assuming it's in the options sticky, no?
      08-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #229
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
He said he has already ordered his car and he had the option to add LCI LEDs upfront. So not speaking about fog lights, an option not available on M cars since the E46 or something like that (X cars excluded).
Who is "he"? The option sticky lists "Adaptive headlights is an option" as the only lighting related option, and this is from someone with the option list in hand.

Options sticky: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155718
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #230
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGregory View Post
I keep thinking, what would BMW call a single turbo S55 engine? My dream is that the M2 would basically be that, take all the robust parts that the S55 engine received, minus the second turbo, and you have the M2 "N55". But thats just me daydreaming at work, i guess we will just have to wait and see.
For the millionth time, the engine code has already been leaked from production documents. See this post for a breakdown of the N55B30T0 engine code: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=227
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #231
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
Wait...really?? Interesting. I must have missed the post...I'm assuming it's in the options sticky, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Who is "he"? The option sticky lists "Adaptive headlights is an option" as the only lighting related option, and this is from someone with the option list in hand.

Options sticky: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155718
He is he person I quoted, who also said he ordered his car (135iDCT or something). In the options revealed thread he said a bunch of options were available that no other person even mentioned. So probably just a bunch of BS.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #232
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
beautiful render, i was under the impression that the rims would have the silverish color on the outter part, has this detail been confirmed anywhere?
Yes, they will. They're the exact black wheels currently being used on the M4.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #233
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

None taken pal... to you each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
No offense, but you sound like the 135i guys when discussing the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #234
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

OrangeCrush Hey this is my first BMW so maybe you can educate me on this. What does this mean? Is this the same marketing that went out with the 135i? Or is this just plain BS.

I was under the impression that my car was tuned by M and that the block contained a forged crank. That along with the suspension mods (etc). Not sure if a 135 to 1M is the same as a m235i to M2.

Wasn't my car introducing a hybrid a tad lower than the full out M car (track car for the street)?

The market launch of the BMW 2 Series Coupe also heralds the arrival of an imagination-capturing performance model in the premium compact segment. The BMW M235i Coupe is the latest member of the BMW M Performance Automobile family. It embodies intense driving pleasure that is instantly signalled by its specially modified, aerodynamically optimised body design, and is propelled by the most powerful petrol engine developed so far for a BMW M Performance Automobile. The six-cylinder in-line engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology generates maximum output of 240 kW/326 hp and accelerates the BMW M235i Coupe from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.0 seconds. Other ingredients in the unique character of the BMW M235i Coupe include the interplay between engine output, bespoke chassis technology and brake system as well as aerodynamic balance that is achieved with hallmark M precision.
The vehicle concept of the BMW M235i Coupe responds to the desire of sporty drivers for more driving pleasure without compromising on everyday usability. Its handling properties are defined by impressive agility and precision, the result of extensive modifications made by BMW M GmbH to the components involved in maximising the car’s sporting ability.
The straight-six engine powering the BMW M235i Coupe benefits from the latest development stage in M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology and specific modifications to the cooling system, power management and sound tuning. A twin-scroll turbocharger, High Precision Direct Injection with centrally positioned multi-hole injectors, VALVETRONIC variable valve timing and Double-Vanos variable camshaft control team up to ensure instantaneous power delivery and the free-revving characteristics typical of the brand – not to mention exceptional efficiency for this output class. The engine generates maximum output of 240 kW/326 hp between 5,800 and 6,000 rpm from its 3.0-litre displacement, while peak torque of 450 Newton metres (332 lb-ft) between 1,300 and 4,500 rpm gives the engine its imposing pulling power.
The BMW M235i Coupe can also be ordered with an eight-speed Sports automatic, complete with Launch Control, as an option. With Launch Control activated, the 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) sprint is all over in 4.8 seconds. And thanks to the high output and thirst for revs of the six-cylinder in-line engine, impressive reserves of power are still on hand for dynamic mid-range sprints at higher speeds.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #235
SGL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
For the millionth time, the engine code has already been leaked from production documents. See this post for a breakdown of the N55B30T0 engine code: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=227
Yes, i understand that the engine code as been leaked, but where in that engine code does it show if it has the S55 crankcase and crankshaft, or the cooling system from the S55. BMW can't simply name the M2 engine a detuned S55 engine because it isn't an S55 engine, it doesn't have the two turbos, but why does the N55B30T0 engine code negate the possibility that BMW has used the cooling and internals that they developed with the S55 for a single turbo application.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #236
RodDT
340 Yeahhhh!
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i AlpineWhite/CoralRed

Love the car, but not having the option for SO interior in a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #237
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I have a feeling LED lights will be an option in the LCI model. Can't wait to see this as a CSL or a GTS model. I am hoping to see a model that will have the aerodynamics of the Grand Turismo Vision Racecar with water injection. Am I hoping to see too much? LOL

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #238
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodDT View Post
Love the car, but not having the option for SO interior in a deal breaker for me.
You should drive one first
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #239
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Yes, they will. They're the exact black wheels currently being used on the M4.
awesome...just not a fan of all black wheels...look great in stand still but look like steelies in slow motion..of course something cosmetic like this wouldnt have been a deal breaker to me like some others on here
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #240
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

What other cars would you consider that do come with a stripped out interior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodDT View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #241
RodDT
340 Yeahhhh!
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i AlpineWhite/CoralRed

I plan to. Just saying that it would have been pretty cool to have SO interior as an option. Mineral Grey with SO interior on an M2 would be a killer.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #242
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Interesting...very,very interesting.

Congratulations, it is the first most accurate rendering of the new M2 seen so far.

And as discussed previously what you are seeing is the Vision GT but brought in to assist with the more realistic aspects of a performance road car.

Although it is not without reason to get a little "wilder".
If it's so accurate then you'll have no problem posting a tease photo right SCOTT26
Appreciate 0