BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Considering 2018 M2

05-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
smokeythecat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 370z

Considering 2018 M2

Hey guys,

New to the forum and I've been considering to buy a used 2018 M2. Currently own a 370z which I had for awhile and although I love the car, its just getting old. I never drove a M2 let alone a BMW and I called up a few dealers in SD to test drive the M2 but to my surprise they wouldn't let me touch the M2C. I know they have different engines but I wanted to get some sense of what the car feels like. I also contacted a local seller about checking out and testing driving his M2 but he wasn't willing unless I'm ready to buy.

Kinda bummed but wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has driven the Z and can compare it to the OG M2. Is it noticeably faster? Is the suspension more stiff? Would I have no issues daily driving the M2 in terms of comfort? Any feedback is appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
Hey guys,

New to the forum and I've been considering to buy a used 2018 M2. Currently own a 370z which I had for awhile and although I love the car, its just getting old. I never drove a M2 let alone a BMW and I called up a few dealers in SD to test drive the M2 but to my surprise they wouldn't let me touch the M2C. I know they have different engines but I wanted to get some sense of what the car feels like. I also contacted a local seller about checking out and testing driving his M2 but he wasn't willing unless I'm ready to buy.

Kinda bummed but wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has driven the Z and can compare it to the OG M2. Is it noticeably faster? Is the suspension more stiff? Would I have no issues daily driving the M2 in terms of comfort? Any feedback is appreciated!
What a bunch of BS. This is a standard production car. Refusing a test drive is ridiculous. Surely there's another dealer around who will let you try one. Keep looking and good luck. It will be worth the search.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #3
Connors5453
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
I love my 18 M2! Amazing car, surprised they won't let you test drive the car as that makes a huge difference! I hope you end up with an M soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
That's dumb, no reason not to be able to drive the car. Although I do recall over a year ago my local dealer wouldn't let me drive one unless I was a serious buyer. He knew i was browsing, and was not going to buy, and I wasn't pushing for a drive either. But times have changed now. Also, have you considered a 2019 Comp? Prices are falling like bricks these days due to the shutdown, so you may be able to work something in your budget...you never know.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Poor dealer relations. I was able to test drive my new M2 before I bought it. Actually I had an extended drive of 38 miles. It has been a great car and no regrets getting it. 2018 M2s are the best of the original M2s with LED headlight and taillights and an upgraded idrive system.

You may want to check this one out: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1717202
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4004.00
VisualEcho6625.50
      05-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I daily drove a 350Z for almost 14 years before getting my M2c. The M2 is now my only car. I know the 370Z and the 350Z aren't exactly the same, and an M2C and an M2 LCI aren't the same either, but hopefully this should still be pretty helpful.

The M2 has a significantly higher seating position and feels just a little bit bigger, with a slightly longer wheelbase. In everyday, normal driving, I find that it feels less sporty than the Z car. I think part of that is the Z's lower center of gravity, the lower seating position and ironically, its worse visibility. The Z also had a much bigger gas tank, it was 20 Gallons in the 350Z and I suspect its the same in the 370Z. By comparison, the M2s is 13 gallons or so and fuel economy will not be much better in the M2, so you'll be filling up a lot more often.

Despite that higher seating position, the M2 handles quite a bit better. It has very little body roll and will change directions much more quickly than the Z would, even though the wheelbase is longer on the M2. Part of that is the much quicker steering (which admittedly doesn't communicate bumps and pavement imperfections as well as the 350Z steering) but most of the reason for that is the stiffer suspension. The M2 does not ride as well as the Z did, though there's not that much between them in ride quality. Both cars feel incredibly easy and intuitive when it comes to catching the rear end when it starts to slide.

I won't talk too much about engines because that's where the cars we're comparing differ quite a bit, but I will say the 105 hp difference is a lie. Nissan overrates their cars and BMW underrates them. If I had to guess, i'd say there's more like a 150 hp difference (between my '300 hp' 350Z and the '405 HP' M2c)

Interior wise, its a night and day difference. Everything in the BMW feels much higher quality (though i'm aware the 370Z has a significantly nicer interior than the 350Z.) Obviously there's stuff like a modern infotainment screen and satellite radio, but even besides that it just feels like so much more effort went into the M2's interior. The materials are much nicer and everything just feels better to the touch. The Z does have some nice storage options though. No sunglasses holder in the M2, though the M2 does come with...a glovebox, which the 350Z did not have.

The M2 is also a legitimately practical car. I didn't realize just how practical it was going to be until I bought it. The rear seats are totally usable for dudes on the short side or most women. The trunk is legitimately useful and fairly large. The visibility!! OH THE VISIBILITY!!! Changing lanes on the freeway, late at night in the rain no longer scares the shit out of me!

And for me there's also a bit of an X factor. The Nissan Z cars are way better than they get credit for IMHO and lots of car people like to shit on them, which gets old. The M2 is so much rarer and more interesting and I think its rare enough that it wont have that dip in popularity 10 years from now when they're no longer new enough to be exciting, but not old enough to be unexpected and interesting (which is exactly where Nissan Z cars are right now.)

Conclusion:

Reasons to think twice about buying the M2
1. Z car will feel sportier when you're driving slowly
2. Z car has better steering feel
3. Z car has a bigger fuel tank

Reasons to buy the M2 without a second thought
1. It's faster than the Z car
2. Its more practical than the Z car

The M2 is fantastic at feeling chill when you're trying to be chill and feeling crazy when you're trying to be crazy. The Z doesn't do that, it just feels kinda crazy all the time.
Appreciate 3
      05-19-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Smokey, I bought a 13 Sport 6mt Z in Sept of 2012, It’s the year Nissan removed the fangs and put the LED’s on front bumper. I did very simple mods, exhaust, RJM clutch pedal, sound deadening and tints. What an enjoyable car to drive and a looker as well.

I Picked up a brand new 2017 6mt M2 in May of that year. Kept the Z alongside with the M2 for about 3-4 months and drove both till I sold the Z so I think I can answer most of the questions you may have as far as street driven difference between the two.

The Z is very old school with very little tech, but that means, it has hydraulic steering. While I miss that about the Z, the M2’s electronic steering is very precise but doesn’t have that “like it’s on rails” feeling. On a straight flat highway, the Z has that great dead center feeling. But I always kept 2 hands on the wheel cause it loved to tramline. The M2 never gives you that dead center feel but in the twisties it’s excellent and rarely ever tramline’s.

I have a high flow cat on the M2 and coded out the ASD (artificial exhaust noise). Both exhaust sounds are excellent but I have to give a slight nod to Z. The other area where the Z excelled was the shifter. The throws aren’t any shorter, but feels more bold action like with clearly defined gates. I can’t ever remember mis-shifting the Z. The M2’s gates aren’t as defined and the shifter feels a little rubbery. It won’t cause you to shift any slower or make mistakes but it is something you’ll notice.

What may make you shift slower is the longer clutch travel of the M2. I have put the BMS clutch stop on the M2 which helps but the M2’s clutch pedal’s top stop point is higher than the brake pedal, unlike the Z. You get used to it and is a non-factor if you get an auto. However the clutch on the M2 is lighter and catch point is slightly longer making it much easier to drive on the street. Hill assist, auto rev match and an increase of rpm’s in 1st gear before the clutch engages makes this the easiest 6 mt I have ever driven.

The M2 is faster than the Z in every way, straights, turns, slight imperfections in the road. It’s slightly stiffer than the Z with faster rebound and it’s very minimal body roll is excellent. Some on this forum say the M2 has a lot of road noise, guess they never drove a Z

In the Z you sit lower and the cockpit makes it feel sportier, but start up the M2 and drive it spiritedly, you’ll quickly forget this. The M2 is easier to get in and out of, not to mention, more practical. The visibility of the M2 is excellent and far superior to the Z with the massive blind spot in back.

I am very happy that I upgraded to a M2 and I’m sure you will be too. Please feel free to ask me questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.
Appreciate 5
      05-19-2020, 10:40 PM   #8
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Smokey, Here’s a pic of the two sided by side.
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
Moflow2484.50
      05-20-2020, 03:54 AM   #9
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
What a bunch of BS. This is a standard production car. Refusing a test drive is ridiculous. Surely there's another dealer around who will let you try one. Keep looking and good luck. It will be worth the search.
Thats what my dealer said too, they dont let ppl test drive M cars

But i had already test driven it at other dealerships, so just look around OP, youll be able to find test drive
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #10
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Thats what my dealer said too, they dont let ppl test drive M cars

But i had already test driven it at other dealerships, so just look around OP, youll be able to find test drive
That's bullshit. Before Covid, a local dealer threw me the keys to a 6MT M2c and said have at it. I was gone for about 30 minutes. I didn't buy it, but that's not the point here.
      05-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #11
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Yo another possible socal owner! I daily drive mine (DCT) and its not an issue. Only hassle is keeping it clean for weekend shows and going out of steep exits but my car is lowered a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #12
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
That's bullshit. Before Covid, a local dealer threw me the keys to a 6MT M2c and said have at it. I was gone for about 30 minutes. I didn't buy it, but that's not the point here.
I think if your buying a used one vs new it might be the difference
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #13
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Im in Socal, before I bought mine I rented one for a day on TURO. There a a few in the region, its worth the money and gives you a much better impression that just a quick test drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:11 PM   #14
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Not much experience with the Z cars but you can get a pretty good feel for the M2 by test driving the M2C. They are very similar. The power difference is not dramatic, suspension is the same, from the inside even the sound is similar
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #15
smokeythecat
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I stopped by a dealer yesterday to see the M2C, man it looks so much better in person. They had the alpine white and LBB. Looks so clean. I spoke with one of the salesman and asked if I can take it out for a test drive. He said he will ask his manager which got me pumped but sadly he came back and said I can't take her for a spin. What a tease. I guess I'm gonna try other dealers but so far I'm really leaning towards this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #16
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I stopped by a dealer yesterday to see the M2C, man it looks so much better in person. They had the alpine white and LBB. Looks so clean. I spoke with one of the salesman and asked if I can take it out for a test drive. He said he will ask his manager which got me pumped but sadly he came back and said I can't take her for a spin. What a tease. I guess I'm gonna try other dealers but so far I'm really leaning towards this car.
What are you telling the dealer? That you are looking for a 2018 and want to drive a new one? If so, they wont let you. You gotta act like you buying the new one...like right now
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4004.00
      05-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #17
m3legacy
Semi-enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi RS3 Nardo Gray

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
What are you telling the dealer? That you are looking for a 2018 and want to drive a new one? If so, they won't let you. You gotta act like you buying the new one...like right now
THIS.

smokey, you "sound" like a younger guy. Strike 1.

But like BK said, nobody's going to let you "try" their car unless you're looking to buy. And by what you say you don't seem to be giving out that vibe.

Oh, and BTW, if they won't let you take a test drive, just turn and walk away. If you HAVE given them ample reason to take you seriously, they won't let you leave.

Personally, I ain't spending $20K on a car without driving it first.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2020, 07:02 PM   #18
smokeythecat
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
What are you telling the dealer? That you are looking for a 2018 and want to drive a new one? If so, they wont let you. You gotta act like you buying the new one...like right now
Yeah because I first asked if they have any used m2's on the lot. When they said no I just asked if I can test drive the m2c. They were willing to let me test drive a used m3 but I passed.

I'm heading to LA over the weekend and I found a few dealers with used m2's. I probably won't have a hard time testing driving those
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #19
Insane_Dawe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 White ZCP M3

When I was looking into purchasing an M2 as a daily driver, I rented one on Turo for 3 days.

I had test drove a M240i up to that point and it felt way better than my WRX but I wanted the extra race car parts of the M2. I was worried that would kill the daily driveability. Glad to say that I was quite happy after the rental and not once did I "rip on it".
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #20
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

I actually owned a 2009 370z Nismo and currently have OG M2.

To me I FEEL the low end torque on the M2 vs the Z. The interior is an upgrade in terms of technology and quality in the BMW.

However the Z truly felt like a sport car and has an amazing steering feel. I also love the unique sound of the VQ engine vs the straight 6.

If you have a manual (and going for a manual M2) they both [to me] have the same shift feel. The clutch i think is a little heavier in the Z than in the M2.

Both cars are great, but the Z is indeed an aging car and i'm excited to see the next Z generation.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #21
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I have a 2018 M2 myself. My only complaints are that it does need more power and it is very heavy in the front of the car. Very good car and nice and compact compared to the horde of SUVs on the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #22
Bluedevil82
Registered
Rep
Drives: future buyer

Sorry for hijacking thread, but I wasn't going to start a new post when one was just started....

I too am considering an M2 and was one of the first 350z owners. I loved my Z, the sound, the torque, and the styling. I parted ways a while ago because I lived in a city and didn't need a car. But now I'm coming into my mid-life crisis I've been driving a rogue and a Sienna for the past 5 years so I need speed bad! So after a lengthy search, I think I have picked the 2018 M2 as the best candidate. The only issue I see is the stiff ride, especially after these scathing reviews....(and the roads in New England, not the best)
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...nce-ownership/

I thought about buying a cheap z, but it's not practical because I have 3 yr old and another on the way. And the only time I'd be able to drive a 2 seater would be by myself on the weekend really. (I have a work car) Anyways if anyone has any other input on other cars to consider I'm open for suggestions. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any input.

Here is what I'm in need of:
>$45k
Manual Trans
4-5 seater
350hp+
good exhaust tone
AWD would be a nice to have
Appreciate 0