BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Door misalignment

05-10-2020, 11:39 PM   #1
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

Door misalignment

Hey fellas,

Due to my extreme boredom during these crazy times, I've been doing a lot more work on the car myself. Surprisingly, after months of ownership I noticed that the driver side door is not perfectly aligned, as can be seen in the first 4 pictures. The door sticks out by maybe a millimeter near the door handle, and isn't perfectly aligned around the window trims. If you run your fingers along the door and the rear panel there's definitely an obvious difference. Likewise, the window trim is off by maybe 1 millimeter at the top and 0.5 millimeter at the base of the window. By comparison, I included a couple of pictures from the passenger side door where you can clearly see everything sits flush and perfectly aligned (last 2 pictures). Apologies for the dirt all over the car and for the orientation on the pictures (wash is pending once the weather is a bit more cooperative).

Frankly this does not bother be tremendously as it's hard to notice unless you're truly looking for it. I'm somewhat annoyed by it right now, but it'll likely pass as with most car imperfections over months and years of car ownership. I've also seen a few treads floating around highlighting similar issues with some X5 and 3-series BMWs. Haven't heard of this being an issue with the 2-series, and certainly not the M2.

Figured I'd drop by and, mainly out of curiosity, see if anyone else has noticed the same or run into the same issues? As far as I know this should be a quick alignment job at the dealership and will likely bring it up during my next visit for break fluid flush.

Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

I thought I was bad😂

I can definitely see what you're talking about though, and it's definitely one of those things you'll never unsee

I almost don't want to check mine hahah
Appreciate 1
hlm2c289.50
      05-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Dam.. Time to junk it/part out now haha . All jokes aside, sometimes it pays to not look too closely for imperfections
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #4
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Just checked mine, my doors are fine, but the top window trim is slightly off just like in one of your pictures.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #5
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

Haha appreciate the responses. It's definitely one of those classic "just leave it alone and move on with your life" moments. This lock down is taking us places we never expected

The door sticking out definitely bothers me a bit more than the window trim, but good news is that it operates normally and there are no seal or window issues. I'll still drop a note at the dealership but the break fluid flush won't be coming around until September so a ways away still.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuttea View Post
Haha appreciate the responses. It's definitely one of those classic "just leave it alone and move on with your life" moments. This lock down is taking us places we never expected

The door sticking out definitely bothers me a bit more than the window trim, but good news is that it operates normally and there are no seal or window issues. I'll still drop a note at the dealership but the break fluid flush won't be coming around until September so a ways away still.
Not sure if it's the same with these cars, but on e36's you can loosen the frame half of the door latch and adjust to your hearts content. Give it a shot
Appreciate 0