Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
So to conclude this...

I left a note in their mailbox. (I didn't save it, so it's not on my computer anymore) Basically said "Look, I know your friend hit my car. Didn't check to see if everything was okay. Didn't leave a note. Nothing. Drove right off and wasted my time tracking down who did it.. I was really concerned my bumper was cracked or the exhaust was bent. But thankfully the only damage is a slight scuff that is hard to see. The car is covered in Xpel, so the paint isn't damaged and I'm not going to worry about it. Just please be more careful and considerate in the future. I'll reach out to who hits my car and ask them to pay. But if that doesn't resolve it, I'll go to the police and court. Here's my number, text me if you need to speak with me..." Then included a picture from my security cameras and picture of their license plate.

The next day I got a voicemail from the neighbor apologizing for his friend. Saying that he talked to his friend and it won't happen again.

I accomplished what I wanted to. They know they're on camera now, so to be more careful. Now I'm wondering if I should put signs around the property so people know they're being recorded before hand. It's a public area, so I'm not legally required to. But I wonder if the signs would encourage people to be more careful. Which would prevent stuff like this from happening in the first place, and save me time having to track people down.
Nicely handled. I'm sure they're feeling like an ass now and that's worth something.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
I wonder if the signs would encourage people to be more careful. Which would prevent stuff like this from happening in the first place, and save me time having to track people down.
I have a bright neon sign, cameras with LED indicators and a spot light to indicate its an active driveway and people still constantly block it but I guess it's worth a shot, in your case.

I understand mistakes happen or if appears the person is genuinely decent or apologetic, I let it go but if you want to come around and be an inconsiderate asshole, don't be surprise if when you return to your car, you find a big dick, with a balls shaft and maybe some pubic hair, etched into the paint, of your hood.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #25
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
So to conclude this...

I left a note in their mailbox. (I didn't save it, so it's not on my computer anymore) Basically said "Look, I know your friend hit my car. Didn't check to see if everything was okay. Didn't leave a note. Nothing. Drove right off and wasted my time tracking down who did it.. I was really concerned my bumper was cracked or the exhaust was bent. But thankfully the only damage is a slight scuff that is hard to see. The car is covered in Xpel, so the paint isn't damaged and I'm not going to worry about it. Just please be more careful and considerate in the future. I'll reach out to who hits my car and ask them to pay. But if that doesn't resolve it, I'll go to the police and court. Here's my number, text me if you need to speak with me..." Then included a picture from my security cameras and picture of their license plate.

The next day I got a voicemail from the neighbor apologizing for his friend. Saying that he talked to his friend and it won't happen again.

I accomplished what I wanted to. They know they're on camera now, so to be more careful. Now I'm wondering if I should put signs around the property so people know they're being recorded before hand. It's a public area, so I'm not legally required to. But I wonder if the signs would encourage people to be more careful. Which would prevent stuff like this from happening in the first place, and save me time having to track people down.
In my experience no one reads signs and the ones that do are not the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #26
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

If you parallel park on the street, this is going to happen. There's simply no way around it.

You can reasonably expect your car to be safe on wide suburban streets that aren't densely populated. But if you live in any major city, look around. Every car that parks on the street is getting banged up by people fighting and squeezing in for parking spots. Cost of living in that location.

I used to live in San Francisco and it's worse there because of all the hills. Parallel parking on a hill means you're either getting backed into or driven into, depending on whether they're parking in front of or behind you. Unavoidable.

No, the police will not care.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #27
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
If you parallel park on the street, this is going to happen. There's simply no way around it.

You can reasonably expect your car to be safe on wide suburban streets that aren't densely populated. But if you live in any major city, look around. Every car that parks on the street is getting banged up by people fighting and squeezing in for parking spots. Cost of living in that location.

I used to live in San Francisco and it's worse there because of all the hills. Parallel parking on a hill means you're either getting backed into or driven into, depending on whether they're parking in front of or behind you. Unavoidable.

No, the police will not care.
I don't parallel park. In front of my car is a street, behind my car is a driveway. You can park behind my car, but not in front of it. Generally no one parks behind it because there's enough room not to, and that's where the dumpsters go on trash day. When everyone that lives on my block is home, there is still 6-7 spots on the street open to park in in the immediate area. Plus an additional parking lot in the church 3 houses down that we can use. During the day time, I am the only car here.
Appreciate 0