05-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #23
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
No drips on the garage floor? Are they being caught by something under the car so it doesn't drip on the floor?
Nope, no drips on the floor. I guess it’s leaking very minimal. If there are drips, if falls on the reinforcement plate. If I look from the engine bay to the plate, you can see that it is kinda greasy

Last edited by squixs; 05-11-2020 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:48 AM   #24
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasblack View Post
Anyway of checking the pan yourself? I'm bringing my car in for my last service before my warranty expires this Friday.

Thanks
Lie next to your car on the right side. There is a section where you see the flexible exhaust part, which is then connected to the Catalytic converter. You can stick your phone in that section and record it using your phone and flashlight.
Appreciate 3
      05-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #25
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
Nope, no drips on the floor. I guess it’s leaking very minimal. If there are drips, if falls on the reinforcement plate. If I look from the engine bay to the plate, you can see that it is kinda greasy
Thanks for that. It'll be something I look for just before my last service as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #26
Aversion
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '16 Taco

Thanks for the inspection method squixs. I'll keep an eye on mine two. I have 26 months of warranty left on the car and I definitely want to give everything a once over for the last service occurs.

Are there any better OPG options if it needs to be replaced? I am pretty sure warranty repair = OEM gasket and that is good. But we could expect leaks again I suppose.

VisualEcho, I read about the water pump being a good swap around 70-80K miles too.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6629.00
      05-12-2020, 06:36 AM   #27
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

Lie next to your car on the right side. There is a section where you see the flexible exhaust part, which is then connected to the Catalytic converter. You can stick your phone in that section and record it using your phone and flashlight.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasblack View Post
Anyway of checking the pan yourself? I'm bringing my car in for my last service before my warranty expires this Friday.

Thanks
Thanks boss, I'll give that a try
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #28
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 & 19 Sentra

Garage List
I wonder at what scale this issue is occurring, whether certain year vehicles are impacted. Having this issue at 10-15,000 miles is troubling. I plan on hanging on to my F87 for a long time.

S
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #29
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandapanda View Post
I wonder at what scale this issue is occurring, whether certain year vehicles are impacted. Having this issue at 10-15,000 miles is troubling. I plan on hanging on to my F87 for a long time.

S
Have 60K on my 2018 M2 - never one oil drip.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      05-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #30
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:

S
I dont know what cars you have owned long term in the past, but the one thing with the Germans - they can't seem to make gaskets and seals properly. I've had several BMWs and Audis that go into high mileage, and the story is always the same. All sorts of gaskets, seals, leaks once the car passes a certain age. No avoiding it ...

Now having this happen at 15K miles is rare indeed - I would think that to be true for the F87 as they have been around a while and I haven't seen widespread reports of leaks at this mileage...
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #31
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
I dont know what cars you have owned long term in the past, but the one thing with the Germans - they can't seem to make gaskets and seals properly. I've had several BMWs and Audis that go into high mileage, and the story is always the same. All sorts of gaskets, seals, leaks once the car passes a certain age. No avoiding it ...

Now having this happen at 15K miles is rare indeed - I would think that to be true for the F87 as they have been around a while and I haven't seen widespread reports of leaks at this mileage...
I came from an S2000 and the turbo Subaru world, so I've seen both sides of the coin. I appreciate your feedback, it is in line with what I am mentally readying myself for, but I was hopelessly hopeful that the F87 N55 would be different than typical massproduced BMW's. I don't think this is widespread, as you are stating, but more than 2-3 occurrences with members with relatively low miles makes me .

Seems that with their well known track record, BMW could have made this type of work manageable for a DIY'er, and not require to have one use a cherry picker to hold the motor while dropping the cradle/subframe to replace the OPG.

Either put some better engineering into your product, or make it easily serviceable, just my thought.

S
1997 200SX SE-R - sold
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #32
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
I came from an S2000 and the turbo Subaru world, so I've seen both sides of the coin. I appreciate your feedback, it is in line with what I am mentally readying myself for, but I was hopelessly hopeful that the F87 N55 would be different than typical massproduced BMW's. I don't think this is widespread, as you are stating, but more than 2-3 occurrences with members with relatively low miles makes me .

Seems that with their well known track record, BMW could have made this type of work manageable for a DIY'er, and not require to have one use a cherry picker to hold the motor while dropping the cradle/subframe to replace the OPG.

Either put some better engineering into your product, or make it easily serviceable, just my thought.

S
To your point on the last line - I think they definitely don't want you servicing it ($$ for them), and they don't want to spend a penny more than they have to manufacturing it....

The engineering know-how is spent pushing technology limits and innovation - that's the German brand and core value. Compare to say Toyota that has had for example the same basic 3.0 V6 in production for almost 20 years (and used in millions of cars across Toyota and Lexus product lines). Yea sure they upgraded the head with direct injection, did a few other things, but it's the same basic engine! 20 years to refine, over and over. Then you look at the major iterations by BMW, it's a new architecture every few years with major changes. Clearly their priorities and motivations are different...

EDIT: Meant to add - also remember that the people posting will speak up about having a problem rather than not. So although you've seen a few complaints, I think the overall count is still low / uncommon at that mileage.
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
      05-13-2020, 01:19 AM   #33
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

S
I wouldn't worry too much. It is a rare case at such a low mileage.

In my scenario, turned out to be a defect from assembly. The gasket was pinched.

Car is otherwise pretty solid
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #34
Aversion
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '16 Taco

GerardzM, thanks for sharing that. That is a different story than it just breaking down/leaking so quickly. Glad you got it taken care of.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #35
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aversion View Post
GerardzM, thanks for sharing that. That is a different story than it just breaking down/leaking so quickly. Glad you got it taken care of.
Agreed! Much different than wear and tear due to heat cycling.

S
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #36
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh yea no problem.

It was an extremely slow leak..never touched the ground.

But my curious self one day(~17k) wanted to take a look under the car to start learning how to work on it myself.

The telling sign was the oil and dirt/grit stuck to the reinforcement plate. Filthy.
After the repair was done I cleaned up all the gunk from the plate.

A clean engine bay makes for a happy engine!
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN15844.00
      05-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #37
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Update: Garage has cleaned everything today. They suspect a Oil Pan Gasket failure, as some of you already pointed out.
Could also be because of a recent oil change.
They will look again in a few hundred kilometers.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2020, 07:12 AM   #38
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
You and I are too used to Japanese engineering. Sadly, BMW will never be there. It's good stuff, but overly techy, overly intricate, and overly expensive to KEEP.

It's unfortunate, as it's a cool car.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #39
M2Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2 6MT

9700 miles and starting to "seep". Just dropped the car off at BMW and was already told a "seep" isn't a "leak" in BMWs eyes. I gave them the same under belly pan pic with spot on it. We will see what they say….
Attached Images

10-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #40
M2Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Pilot View Post
9700 miles and starting to "seep". Just dropped the car off at BMW and was already told a "seep" isn't a "leak" in BMWs eyes. I gave them the same under belly pan pic with spot on it. We will see what they say….
Just got the call and BMW stated "It is just sweating, and will not be approved for replacement under warranty"
      10-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #41
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Wow, a common, labor-intensive $1400 issue on a BMW with less than 100K on the clock? Noooooo....
I just brought one home a week ago. Uh oh, this worries me lol
Just remember BMW stands for…

Bring My Wallet

10-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #42
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Just got the call and BMW stated "It is just sweating, and will not be approved for replacement under warranty"
Well mf. Ok then BMW.

Although given the discoloration area I guess it does seem more vapory than the leak in the OP pics? Can you get at it with a rag and degreaser easily?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:39 PM   #43
M2Pilot
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanÂ’s Brother View Post
Quote:
Well mf. Ok then BMW.

Although given the discoloration area I guess it does seem more vapory than the leak in the OP pics? Can you get at it with a rag and degreaser easily?
Update: spoke to the service manager and he says he will "take care of me"..more to come.

I was told that a "Leak" by BMWs definition is dripping while "sweating" is oil coming out around bolts and such…🙄
      10-25-2021, 10:00 PM   #44
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Update: spoke to the service manager and he says he will "take care of me"..more to come.

I was told that a "Leak" by BMWs definition is dripping while "sweating" is oil coming out around bolts and such…🙄
Either of which should be abnormal and addressed immediately.

But hopefulyl everything gets sorted out for you.
M2Pilot278.50