BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW CEO urges staff to narrow sales gap with Mercedes

08-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #89
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
Build cars for enthusiast, not the mainstream. Leave that to Honda, and Toyota. If you want all the electronic gizmos, by a apple watch, or iPad. If you need a car to park or drive itself, you shouldn't be driving. If you need a car to shake, when you go outside your lane, you shouldn't be driving. If your to lazy to use a knob for your radio, AC, etc, and prefer gesture control, you shouldn't be driving. Why spend over $40,000 for a base model, 4 cylinder engine, with numb steering, no spare tire, fake exhaust note,( Comes through the speaker system ), runflats that are expensive to replace, noisey, bad tread wear, ( give us a spare tire ), I could go on. BMW, bring back the " Ultimate Driving Machine," and simplify the automobile. BMW's of today don't appeal to me. That's why I'm holding on to my E90. Love the way it drives, and no, it's not the perfect car. However, the steering, and driving dynamics, I love. And by the way, keep the "M " badge for M vehicle.
you mean you want BMW to sell <500k vehicle instead of 2million+ a year?
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      08-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #90
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

How many would here seriously consider a new E46 or E39 if it would be available today?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #91
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNewM5COMPETITION View Post
I did but comparing the 2, the S560 still beat all the way. My brother has the 2020 7 series yet still has way less comfortability
Sad to see you go, i really think they are very close.
      08-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #92
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Agree, they are not Ferrari or Lamborghini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
How many would here seriously consider a new E46 or E39 if it would be available today?
I take E46 M3 CSL any day
      08-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #93
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Absolute volume isn't that interesting of a metric unless that's the sole factor one wants to optimize. Perhaps BMW needs to sell millions of vehicles these days to have a chance of meeting profit targets but that's what some are questioning as the strategy. Porsche delivered 200+k cars last year globally, which is a record for them, and are a picture of automotive health at the moment.
Appreciate 1
ny325895.00
      08-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #94
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
post financial crisis, all manufacture need scale, there is a reason Fiat bought Chrysler then... Porsche is low volume, but it's low volume within VW/Audi, other than 911 everything else is pretty "shared" especially with Sedan/SUV..
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      08-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #95
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly View Post
Absolute volume isn't that interesting of a metric unless that's the sole factor one wants to optimize. Perhaps BMW needs to sell millions of vehicles these days to have a chance of meeting profit targets but that's what some are questioning as the strategy. Porsche delivered 200+k cars last year globally, which is a record for them, and are a picture of automotive health at the moment.
Porsche profita $17.500 per car where BMW only makes $5.000
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-up-to-17-250
      08-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #96
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I've often thought about this idea. But what would they be like, built today, with current safety, emission and CO2 requirements, added technology, etc.? Somehow I think they would disappoint, as they would have to be somewhere between the original and the current models.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #97
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Porsche profita $17.500 per car where BMW only makes $5.000
Clearly BMW cars are too cheap.

So are we saying BMW should cut production, make a few dynamic tweaks and bump the price? Say by 25 - 50%, and enthusiasts would see that as forward thinking?

We get so much more BMW for our money these days, I'm not for going back to "the good old days".
Appreciate 2
Miko M6648.50
      08-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #98
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
post financial crisis, all manufacture need scale, there is a reason Fiat bought Chrysler then... Porsche is low volume, but it's low volume within VW/Audi, other than 911 everything else is pretty "shared" especially with Sedan/SUV..
Is there evidence that R&D flows in the VW/Audi -> Porsche direction? I know everyone likes to say this, but is there anything to that besides speculation? If anything, I'd imagine Porsche innovation/research trickles down to VW/Audi, not the other direction.
Appreciate 1
Miko M6648.50
      08-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #99
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I've often thought about this idea. But what would they be like, built today, with current safety, emission and CO2 requirements, added technology, etc.? Somehow I think they would disappoint, as they would have to be somewhere between the original and the current models.
What if the built them like the i3, instead? CF monocoque, LED headlights, CarPlay. Emissions and CO2 reduced by making the car lighter, driving dynamics improved by making the car lighter, etc.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #100
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
well that just means they will be turbo (emission/fuel economy while still making power), and definitely have to be wider (for side impact safety/crush crumble zone), then to make it look "right" proportion it will be longer (given its wider).

Guess the only part will be the old is steering feel and they can probably put more of the M5 stuff into lower range to make it corner better
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #101
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is there evidence that R&D flows in the VW/Audi -> Porsche direction? I know everyone likes to say this, but is there anything to that besides speculation? If anything, I'd imagine Porsche innovation/research trickles down to VW/Audi, not the other direction.
Regarding if it's VW/Audi to Porsche or Porsche to VW/Audi, it's shared, which is the point (on cost)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #102
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
What if the built them like the i3, instead? CF monocoque, LED headlights, CarPlay. Emissions and CO2 reduced by making the car lighter, driving dynamics improved by making the car lighter, etc.
or make a "proper" i8 that would be a real M1 replacement
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #103
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Regarding if it's VW/Audi to Porsche or Porsche to VW/Audi, it's shared, which is the point (on cost)
But we're talking about strictly Porsche's financial performance, not VAG as a whole. Obviously having VAG as parent helps with a larger balance sheet, access to (presumably) cheaper financing, and so on. But Porsche itself is thriving. Every car they make they knock it out of the park. Let's see how the Taycan does, which is relatively new ground for them. I predict demand will outpace supply and they'll have a similar margin on that car as well.

Porsche is more expensive than BMW. We can argue about features, tech, build quality and so on differences but the bottom line is customers are willing to pay for it. Reputation is king in this (and other) businesses. If the customer believes they're getting a premium product, they'll pay for it again and again even if objectively it's not as premium as one perceives. But of course they need to deliver as well, and they do. It's a very slim margin for error. If you tarnish it, it'll take a long time to rebuild, if ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #104
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
or make a "proper" i8 that would be a real M1 replacement
A CF monocoque sport sedan is a far more interesting proposition to me than an M1 replacement. Lots of cars in the supercar sea, but nothing like a CF monocoque sport sedan.

Quote:
But we're talking about strictly Porsche's financial performance, not VAG as a whole. Obviously having VAG as parent helps with a larger balance sheet, access to (presumably) cheaper financing, and so on. But Porsche itself is thriving. Every car they make they knock it out of the park. Let's see how the Taycan does, which is relatively new ground for them. I predict demand will outpace supply and they'll have a similar margin on that car as well.

Porsche is more expensive than BMW. We can argue about features, tech, build quality and so on differences but the bottom line is customers are willing to pay for it. Reputation is king in this (and other) businesses. If the customer believes they're getting a premium product, they'll pay for it again and again even if objectively it's not as premium as one perceives. But of course they need to deliver as well, and they do. It's a very slim margin for error. If you tarnish it, it'll take a long time to rebuild, if ever.
BMW's current strategy is one that leads to lower and lower prices. Commodity goods without differentiation compete on price.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1
vitaly67.50
      08-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #105
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

guess we're just talking about different point, I just don't think BMW can be Porsche without dramatic downsizing

I'm sure some Porsche tech flying to Audi/VW (and vice versa), but for example how does Porsche allocate Porsche Cayenne's R&D, it's entire platform/chassis (PL71/72) is on the same platform that runs VW Touareg/Audi Q7/Porsche Cayenne. If Porsche had to build SUV on its own, not sure how porsche "stand alone" financial will look. Also given how hard VW is going for electric (vs. BMW), I'm sure some of the stuff Taycan used/developing had been in the mind set of "cost sharing"
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #106
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

All the guys driving Accords and Camrys would love to buy a BMW 3 or 4 series if they could afford it - so if BMW wants to sell to those guys, cut the price. Easy peasy. Pay a little more and get a lot more car. And attract Merc customers at the same time for a double-edged sword.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #107
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I'll take a E46 sports package with hydraulic steering, xenon's, non runflats, spare tire, heated seats, inline 6, with 280-300HP, and a rearview camera. I don't need all the technology. Keep it simple, and fun to drive.
Appreciate 3
      08-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #108
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
guess we're just talking about different point, I just don't think BMW can be Porsche without dramatic downsizing

I'm sure some Porsche tech flying to Audi/VW (and vice versa), but for example how does Porsche allocate Porsche Cayenne's R&D, it's entire platform/chassis (PL71/72) is on the same platform that runs VW Touareg/Audi Q7/Porsche Cayenne. If Porsche had to build SUV on its own, not sure how porsche "stand alone" financial will look. Also given how hard VW is going for electric (vs. BMW), I'm sure some of the stuff Taycan used/developing had been in the mind set of "cost sharing"
I agree. I don't think you can survive in the modern automotive landscape as a "niche" market vehicle unless you're owned by a much larger car company selling to the masses. The modern market requires too much R&D costs to make that feasible. And a lot of those R&D costs are not purely in automotive areas as everyone wants good tech too.

The closest modern example we can look at is Tesla. They started out making electric roadsters trying to chart the top of the driving enthusiasts market. They had to move to the luxury sedan to survive and now are moving to the "cheap" car with the Model 3 to hopefully survive while staying independent... You need volume... Pure and simple.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #109
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not sure it has to be all or nothing in terms of volume - you can have a volume model(s) yet differentiate on others. Macan accounts for nearly 50% of Porsche's volume - that's their commodity car.

For BMW, what's their volume car today? I think it's nearly all of them. I just don't know how you can produce a great product when you're spread thin across so many of them (financially and human capital wise). It's like being the GE of cars - decent stuff all around but forgettable in every one. Can survive like that but won't get fanfare in the forums .
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #110
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

BMW should join Tesla. Imagine Tesla powertrain and technology with BMW styling, build quality and production capability.
Appreciate 0