BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > M2 Pricing

12-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #155
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I wonder if they have the CFRP as an option for this car what they would likely charge...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #156
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakdown61 View Post
I wonder if they have the CFRP as an option for this car what they would likely charge...
If they offer it at all, it'll be free, always has been. You usually have to PAY to get rid of the CF roof and get a sunroof in its place.

You'd have to put a gun to my head to have my check the sunroof regardless of whether CF roof or not
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #157
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Eliminating the CF roof for a sunroof is free. Still free on M3/4. I would like a sunroof.
      12-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #158
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
For all those that want raw and no fancy Idrive etc just buy a 1M no???

This car will have idrive, and it won't be an option to delete, hopefully nav is included too IMO.
If it was only that easy? Have you seen 1M prices?

Also, most 1Ms were ordered with NAV, so while still a more raw driving experience, the NAV screen kills it for me. If I have to live with a NAV screen and iDrive, then the M2 should be considered. Especially for normal guys that want some warranty while making payments.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 04:44 AM   #159
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

The idea of any bmw, or car, to not have some kind of idrive system, is extremely wishful thinking, there's just too much tied into those systems now for manufactures to not include them.

Now if it's the screen that bothers you, which bothers me too, it seems like the trend is to move the entire screen into the instrument cluster, and have digital gauges/ maps/ infotainment, that can appear/disappear depending on the driving mode.

Look at the new Audi TT for example, the dashboard is clean and sparse and the instrument cluster is where all of the "screen" is now located....seriously check the new TT out if you haven't, I think and hope, that's the direction of car interiors, because I hate these ipads sticking up from the dashboard.
Now if only they could find a way to slim down the A-pillars on these new car designs

Last edited by LDSM; 12-21-2014 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #160
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes, it's borderline plain, but I like it a lot. How functional it is, I don't know.

Appreciate 1
      12-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #161
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

New audi interiors may look sparse, but if you actually get inside the material quality is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #162
M235ixDriveMP
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive w/M Performance

I think BMW set the M2 MSRP starting at:

1).
same as M1
$47,010

2).
between M235ixDrive & M3
$53,500

3).
next to M3/M4 brothers.
$60,000

I chose #2
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #163
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235ixDriveMP View Post
I think BMW set the M2 MSRP starting at:

1).
same as M1
$47,010

2).
between M235ixDrive & M3
$53,500

3).
next to M3/M4 brothers.
$60,000

I chose #2
I would choose #1. :P
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #164
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I can't understand car owners who want built-in nav. It requires a painful download and install to update and it never ages well, as the interface is always outpaced in a very few years by smartphone technology. I would much rather rely on my phone, which is constanbtly updated rather than an proprietary interface that never gets updated and is a pain to keep current.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #165
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
In almost all cases, Nav will increase resale value. In the case of the M235i you also get a bigger, higher resolution, and consequently more desirable display.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #166
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I would also choose 1 :P

Chance that it is 1? Prrrrobably 0.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #167
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If it was only that easy? Have you seen 1M prices?

Also, most 1Ms were ordered with NAV, so while still a more raw driving experience, the NAV screen kills it for me. If I have to live with a NAV screen and iDrive, then the M2 should be considered. Especially for normal guys that want some warranty while making payments.
It's true that 1M prices are high for a used car (around original MSRP?) but, odds are you could get one, drive it for the next year, sell it for little to no loss...possibly even a gain. You won't come close to that on a new car. I see all the time "why get a used 1M for $xxx.xx when I could get a (insert brand new less fun car here ) for the same price?" After a year you lose a ton on the newer auto. Warranty would be the biggest issue but the n54 is a pretty stout engine so the main worries would be fuel pump?

On a side note, we have another little one on the way and I happen to have a no NAV VO 1M. The only options are heated seats and VO. I am not selling it right now but you never know what the future holds. I might end up with a huge SUV god forbid...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #168
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Throw inflation into that price and you're looking at right around $50k in 2014 dollars.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #169
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakdown61 View Post
Throw inflation into that price and you're looking at right around $50k in 2014 dollars.
Yep...and the fact that NAV, power seats and some other items will probably be standard (basically the premium package from the 1M) add another 2500.00-3,000.00. If it gets a standard CF roof add another 500.00 at least. So 53k sounds right....but, I would rather not include the "premium" package items and get it for 50k. Hopefully we have that option but there is about zero chance for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 02:07 AM   #170
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's true that 1M prices are high for a used car (around original MSRP?) but, odds are you could get one, drive it for the next year, sell it for little to no loss...possibly even a gain. You won't come close to that on a new car. I see all the time "why get a used 1M for $xxx.xx when I could get a (insert brand new less fun car here ) for the same price?" After a year you lose a ton on the newer auto. Warranty would be the biggest issue but the n54 is a pretty stout engine so the main worries would be fuel pump?

On a side note, we have another little one on the way and I happen to have a no NAV VO 1M. The only options are heated seats and VO. I am not selling it right now but you never know what the future holds. I might end up with a huge SUV god forbid...
Thanks Crush, yes keep me in mind. I know most don't understand it but what made the 1M appealing to me was it's simplicity... A big-ass engine in a little car with no comfort buttons, no idrive, no fake sound just big-ass brakes, big ass tires, big-ass motor and it takes big-ass cojones to drive it at the limit with traction control off.

If you end up going to the dark side (just kidding!!!!) then please keep me in mind. Sadly, most 1Ms are being turned over to CarMax and dealers where they are marked up so high that they sit outdoors for up to a year with everyone and their friend driving them.

I did have a pump failure at 10K, also had window regulator issues. I know several 1M owners had intake tube failures and some early clutch failures. All of this would not be a problem with a paid off car but makes you think twice about getting a big car loan on a car without warranty when for the same money and M2 might make more fiscal sense. With that said, as good as the M2 is going to be, and I expect it to be great, it will only make the 1M more special because cars with NAV and iDrive are....zzzzzzzz a dime a dozen. Cars with comfort and sport buttons are ZZZZZZ a dime a dozen, same with iPad displays on the dash and now electric steering with comfort mode and comfort this as that. So to me, a car like the 1M becomes more special because the dash is clean and simple and for those that haven't driven one with traction control off in a spirited manner, know that you don't need any distractions and the last thing you need is a slow comfort steering when the beast decides to go sideways. So anyway, I have my name on the list for M2 but I do so grudgingly. If you find yourself wanting something else and you've taken good care of your car, please keep me in mind.

Finally, on buying a 1M and selling it right away, that doesn't work in California. You have to pay between 8-9% sales tax plus high registration. So you you buy a used 1M to drive it for a year, you are instantly out about $5000 for that one year.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 02:54 AM   #171
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 of Many

I chose #2, and hopes it's around there. That Audi interior is perfect. In regards to the A-pillars...

http://wot.motortrend.com/1412_jagua...echnology.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin.RS View Post
The idea of any bmw, or car, to not have some kind of idrive system, is extremely wishful thinking, there's just too much tied into those systems now for manufactures to not include them.

Now if it's the screen that bothers you, which bothers me too, it seems like the trend is to move the entire screen into the instrument cluster, and have digital gauges/ maps/ infotainment, that can appear/disappear depending on the driving mode.

Look at the new Audi TT for example, the dashboard is clean and sparse and the instrument cluster is where all of the "screen" is now located....seriously check the new TT out if you haven't, I think and hope, that's the direction of car interiors, because I hate these ipads sticking up from the dashboard.
Now if only they could find a way to slim down the A-pillars on these new car designs
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #172
Xach
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i Xdrive

i had a dealership employee from Valencia BMW tell me that the M2 will start at over 60k i personally think an M2 is pointless because the M235i is already a badass ride. but eh you know BMW trying to always out do themselves.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #173
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM235iXDrive View Post
i had a dealership employee from Valencia BMW tell me that the M2 will start at over 60k i personally think an M2 is pointless because the M235i is already a badass ride. but eh you know BMW trying to always out do themselves.
No offense, but of course you are going to think an M2 is pointless because you have an M235i. That's a little bias.

Don't get me wrong, I love the M235i, even after I test drove it right after an M4 with 6MT, but there's no doubt that in my mind that the M2 will be worth the premium over an MPA.

If you driven the M3/4, you'll realize that they left plenty of room for an M2. I'm not even talking about the engine (was perfectly happy with the N55 power), but the brakes and suspension is amazing in the M4. I also think the EPS in the M4 I drove was slightly better than the M235i. Combine that with the fact that the M2 will hopefully be lighter than the M235i and you've got a mouthwatering recipe.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #174
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Crush, yes keep me in mind. I know most don't understand it but what made the 1M appealing to me was it's simplicity... A big-ass engine in a little car with no comfort buttons, no idrive, no fake sound just big-ass brakes, big ass tires, big-ass motor and it takes big-ass cojones to drive it at the limit with traction control off.

If you end up going to the dark side (just kidding!!!!) then please keep me in mind. Sadly, most 1Ms are being turned over to CarMax and dealers where they are marked up so high that they sit outdoors for up to a year with everyone and their friend driving them.

I did have a pump failure at 10K, also had window regulator issues. I know several 1M owners had intake tube failures and some early clutch failures. All of this would not be a problem with a paid off car but makes you think twice about getting a big car loan on a car without warranty when for the same money and M2 might make more fiscal sense. With that said, as good as the M2 is going to be, and I expect it to be great, it will only make the 1M more special because cars with NAV and iDrive are....zzzzzzzz a dime a dozen. Cars with comfort and sport buttons are ZZZZZZ a dime a dozen, same with iPad displays on the dash and now electric steering with comfort mode and comfort this as that. So to me, a car like the 1M becomes more special because the dash is clean and simple and for those that haven't driven one with traction control off in a spirited manner, know that you don't need any distractions and the last thing you need is a slow comfort steering when the beast decides to go sideways. So anyway, I have my name on the list for M2 but I do so grudgingly. If you find yourself wanting something else and you've taken good care of your car, please keep me in mind.

Finally, on buying a 1M and selling it right away, that doesn't work in California. You have to pay between 8-9% sales tax plus high registration. So you you buy a used 1M to drive it for a year, you are instantly out about $5000 for that one year.

Thank you.
Personally, I think stuff like NAV and technology is completely secondary to other things that are mechanical. When/if I order an M2, it'll be a lower optioned car, but I don't mind that it'll probably have iDrive without NAV.

There are so many things that I think the M2 will do much better than the 1M IMHO. While I don't think the the M2 will be as light as the 1M, nor will the EPS be as good as the 1M's hydraulic power steering, there are other things that will be better. I'm using my own E92 M3 in comparison with M3/4's I've test driven. The brakes will be much better, 0 questions. And if they do the rear of the car the same way as the M3/4 (i.e directly bolted to the chassis), then we've got a winner IMHO. We can also hope that the M2 will be as stiff as the M3/4. THAT, will make the M2 special IMO.

My 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #175
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilM235iXDrive View Post
Also no offense from here either! The M235i is a fantastic package, great value and in my opinion the best all-around BMW out today but if you come from 1M or some other M cars, it's too soft for our tastes. It has a comfort button. The 1M did not. The suspension is soft and I'm not a fan of digitally enhanced sound and no temp gauge, etc. I was ready to buy M235i after all the hype about it being faster than 1M at the Ring but it's just a bit too much for everyone and very heavy for its size. By the time you add a LSD and a proper suspension, rip off the LCD display, disconnect the digital sound and put an exhaust system, it will cost as much as the M2 which should be lighter and maybe have a real exhaust a la 1M.

With that said, I am using the M235i as a baseline to compare the M2. If the M2 comes with the same comfort buttons, no temp gauge, digital sound and ho-hum exhaust and the same steering and soft suspension and weighs 3500-3600 lbs then there is no point buying one because as you said, you can get an M235i for a lot less and 90% of the fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #176
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Personally, I think stuff like NAV and technology is completely secondary to other things that are mechanical. When/if I order an M2, it'll be a lower optioned car, but I don't mind that it'll probably have iDrive without NAV.

There are so many things that I think the M2 will do much better than the 1M IMHO. While I don't think the the M2 will be as light as the 1M, nor will the EPS be as good as the 1M's hydraulic power steering, there are other things that will be better. I'm using my own E92 M3 in comparison with M3/4's I've test driven. The brakes will be much better, 0 questions. And if they do the rear of the car the same way as the M3/4 (i.e directly bolted to the chassis), then we've got a winner IMHO. We can also hope that the M2 will be as stiff as the M3/4. THAT, will make the M2 special IMO.

My 2 cents
I also think the M2 will do many things much better for many people but many people place a high priority on screen size, soft suspension, self parking, parking sensors, rear view camera, bluetooth integration, digital HP meters, automatic transmission, active suspension etc. For those that put a high value on that, the M2 will crush the 1M. It will also post faster numbers on the track too and it will probably have a digitally optimized sound track to go with it. But for some, all of this takes away from focus on driving and dilutes it with infotainment. I also don't care if a car is 1 second faster on the ring....I'm not going over there to race.

The things that I would like to see improved on the M2 over the 1M is throttle response and throttle linearity. The 1M throttle was hard to modulate. It had such a surge that it was difficult to manage. I would like more of the infotainment research dollars to make a more linear and more responsive turbo power plant. That is what I think could be improved over the 1M. The 1M would blow intake pipes on the track. That should be improved in the next model. The base traction control on the 1M was never fully developed and it was a pain driving it with full TC on. You had to switch to M dynamic mode for almost everything. That should be improved on the M2.

The rest of the stuff, I don't know what they can improve. I thought the fixed firm suspension and real exhaust were perfect as was the clean no-nav dash but if they address my list of core issues, I'll just have to ignore the fluff and be happy with some NA like throttle response and linear power band.
Appreciate 0