BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > The BMW M2 Competition And Its Tasteful Cherry on a Chubby Cake

08-01-2018, 02:25 AM   #177
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Wait until new M2C owners find out the next M2 has three turbos instead of their two..

The sibling rivalry saga will start all over.
Couldn’t they just buy the next M2?

What is this rivalry? I’ve yet to see any new M2C owner go over to the OG M2 section and talk sh*t.

Both are great cars. Next M2 will probably be great too.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #178
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Definitely better, but "better" comes at a consequence.

MR
I enjoyed your review. As a "legacy" BMW owner of many M cars since 01, I've seem the evolution of the M car from a drivers focused car to a car built to specs to keep up with the stiff competition that now exists (chasing HP, 0-60 times, euro mpg, pumped in cabin noise, turbos, etc). Not saying the current M cars are not good, but they are lacking the "pureness" the older BMW had. You didnt need an M car back in the day to have a focused drivers car. My 01 330i manual was a drivers joy, not a fast car but had a "soul". My 14 320i is a hot mess in the driving joy department, terrible balance.

What I take away that the OP is saying they've injected the M2 with the current M DNA and reduced the DNA of the previous "focused, simple drivers car" DNA of the previous BMW's.

Its a review from an M lover and car enthusiast. Not just a guy who is pumping out reviews. But more personal and the personal decision making and emotion comes through with how BMW is changing / evolving our loved cars. Its like when Coke messed around with the formula lol. Some liked it some did not!

I felt the old DNA in the M2 I owned. There were hints of it here and there. Now that its the "baby M5/M4" it changes the formula. Not to say its better or worse, that depends on your taste. But its a different formula than the previous era. This is the era of "more is more", not "less is more". But more is more is what marketing feels sells more cars.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 08-01-2018 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 5
MR.4403.00
seis-speed2440.00
Rupes1055.50
Phound0.00
      08-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #179
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
I felt the old DNA in the M2 I owned. There were hints of it here and there. Now that its the "baby M5/M4" it changes the formula. Not to say its better or worse, that depends on your taste. But its a different formula than the previous era. This is the era of "more is more", not "less is more". But more is more is what marketing feels sells more cars.
I had a “euro” e36 M3 last century. It was very fast when you put the work in but felt like a barge when you didn’t. For the Jenny Craig brigade it was 1460kg. Heavy for the time. The current model M2 massacres it for driver enjoyment. The M2C will be another level. I’d wager M2C will go down as the best “petrol” M car ever.
Appreciate 1
Phound0.00
      08-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #180
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
I’ve yet to see any new M2C owner go over to the OG M2 section and talk sh*t.
You just haven't looked in the right places. The OG M2 haters are just as prevalent as the M2C ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #181
Japper69
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 X-Drive - Skyscraper Gr

Well as I expected, if true then no difference in rear suspension / solid ball joints. BMW false marketing does a ‘N55 closed block’ yet again !!

https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...x/?series=f87n
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #182
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japper69 View Post
Well as I expected, if true then no difference in rear suspension / solid ball joints. BMW false marketing does a ‘N55 closed block’ yet again !!

https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...x/?series=f87n
It pissed be off big time when I heard that at the press event. I was like "Really? You are incorrect right?", because they told me straight up in my face at the pre-release filming they altered the suspension and added the ball joints. You can read my story back and I mentioned it as an upgrade.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #183
Japper69
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 X-Drive - Skyscraper Gr

Quote:
It pissed be off big time when I heard that at the press event. I was like "Really? You are incorrect right?", because they told me straight up in my face at the pre-release filming they altered the suspension and added the ball joints. You can read my story back and I mentioned it as an upgrade.

MR
Well I was sceptical. They didn’t do it on any CS or GTS model so why do just for M2 ?

Only model I see they have solid / stiffened suspension mounts for is the M5 comp.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #184
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Wow, the false advertising is such a slap in the face....no thank you, I'm sticking with my LCI and anxiously awaiting the release of the new GT4... M2 is an amazing car for the value but I just can't stand false advertising
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      08-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #185
untzklee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
If it has another tune!

It is a better package for tuning than the M2, but honestly I would not see a reason to sell your tuned M2 for this.

Just download the software from the M2C and put it in a M2. I would not be amazed that some tuner will make that work for you. In the end, it is the same steering rack and the same MDM/diff mode setting.

I suggested this idea to the chief engineer and he said; "Not possible". I said; "Give us a few weeks".

MR
LOL I loved that statement. Give us a few weeks!

Thank you for your review MR. I really liked your honest review of the M2C.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #186
Alex Lipowich
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Green

M2 vs M2Comp

We are driving, I'm stuck in the passenger seat. This will be long. Just finished the thread.

MR,
Thank you for your thoughtful review both professionally as published, and, as well, for sharing your insight on a more personal level with the forum.

I've had a few M cars, as well as other BMWs. I'm lucky, my parents were generous and supportive emotionally and financially in terms of education, and I have worked hard.

87M6, 95M3 LTW with stock, stock euro, modified euro engines and lightened up to be full blown race car. (S62 planned, abandoned, S54 pending, dreaming of a stroked S65) I've also had an E34 M5. Other fun cars, E34 Msport, Z1, E36 MTechnic with S54, and Z3 1.9, 2.8 plus a few other cars, current DD is a 228 purchased from an enthusiast in this forum that set it up RIGHT with a nice flash to boot.

My take: BMW is learning, trying, and can not possibly put an E30M3 into production again...so, say what you will, there will be changes over time, and for the most part, they get more right than they get wrong. We have back seats, some of the cars the M2 competes against in market and reviews don't.

I have driven the OG M2. WOW. Amazing car. Keep in mind any production car short of the exotics can usually be improved on with lightening, brake upgrades, tuning. Good luck improving your McLaren F1. OG M2? M2Comp? Easy to upgrade either.

Without (honestly) trying to provoke OG M2 owners, I sort of view the OG M2 as a US spec E36M3. Body kit, warmed over stock engine. The M2Comp is closer to the M2 we should have gotten at the start.

I don't "get" the common reluctance to use modern technology to flash an S55 to meet or slightly exceed the M3/M4 spec. It has the cooling to handle it. So for under $1000 (*) I see this M2Comp as having over 500 ft/lb of torque and close to 490 HP as the only way to own it. I think that will take care of the 150 lb issue quite nicely.

Let me be clear! I hate any extra weight. I sort of rejected the E46M3, E9XM3, for weight reasons.... While loving the NA engines S54, S65. My race car has been down to 2600 lb with 380 HP and it was way more fun than 3000 lb with same power, trust me, I get it. But if you REALLY REALLY are serious about track driving, you'll get a gutted, caged, lightened car with modern ABS/engine transplant and pay pennies on the dollar vs $$$ current street M cars. And you won't care much about bodywork.

I have a deposit down, and believe I'm still first in line at a local dealer for an M2C. I'm "almost" broken hearted about the weight, and uncertain how much I'm willing to spend for what will almost certainly NOT be appreciable on the street. I can see carefully taking off the hood and trunk for factory matched and painted CF. I could see finding perhaps an aftermarket folding seat of decent quality that might knock off a ton of weight, and still be comfortable. I think in both cases, keeping the originals in perfect condition, and selling off the used aftermarket bits would be a reasonable investment, selling a used car with perfect OEM driver's seat is unusual, and increases value. I could possibly see light DD rims, and original ones for winter use.... will have to do something in 19 anyway for winter. But my heart knows that the car will be plenty "toss able" in stock form, if not capturing the feel of E30/E36 lightness, and I have too many other projects so it will probably stay stock + flash and give me 10 years of joy. I'll skip the sunroof for helmet space and weight..... I have a Z1 for really nice days.

If you have an OG M2, be really happy! You've been enjoying it all this time, and for very reasonable investment you can lighten it, tune it, and equal lap times of a stock M2C if that preserves one's sense of ego or need to go faster. However, lets be honest, BMW put the extra weight on the car in part with brake upgrades, cooling etc... things that help preserve the I6 turbo at the higher power output.... It is reasonable to add similar weight to your OG if you want similar performance AND longevity. Its not like they released the M2C with extra power and forced 150 lb of leather, stereo, fart extractors, rear reclining seats and a cooler in the rear seat with Video displays built into the seats etc...

Well, thats about it. I'm on the fence still a bit, but this is the first M car in a long time that ticks off so many boxes.... just wish it were a 2 series with stroked S65. Give me that 6 speed and 8300 redline please! Who wouldn't want that?

Alex Lipowich

(*) OK, I'm not sure about price, I'm not positive about the numbers, but I have a vague recollection that this is a no brainer on the M3/M4 cars, and easily reversed when you go in for service. Speaking about a US car without the goofy filter thing talked about here. And... come on, how hard can it be to find a way around this for hard core enthusiasts?
Appreciate 6
cptobvious2531.50
gnx759.50
COChris888.50
MR.4403.00
IAF109.50
Phound0.00
      08-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #187
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lipowich View Post
We are driving, I'm stuck in the passenger seat. This will be long. Just finished the thread.

MR,
Thank you for your thoughtful review both professionally as published, and, as well, for sharing your insight on a more personal level with the forum.

I've had a few M cars, as well as other BMWs. I'm lucky, my parents were generous and supportive emotionally and financially in terms of education, and I have worked hard.

87M6, 95M3 LTW with stock, stock euro, modified euro engines and lightened up to be full blown race car. (S62 planned, abandoned, S54 pending, dreaming of a stroked S65) I've also had an E34 M5. Other fun cars, E34 Msport, Z1, E36 MTechnic with S54, and Z3 1.9, 2.8 plus a few other cars, current DD is a 228 purchased from an enthusiast in this forum that set it up RIGHT with a nice flash to boot.

My take: BMW is learning, trying, and can not possibly put an E30M3 into production again...so, say what you will, there will be changes over time, and for the most part, they get more right than they get wrong. We have back seats, some of the cars the M2 competes against in market and reviews don't.

I have driven the OG M2. WOW. Amazing car. Keep in mind any production car short of the exotics can usually be improved on with lightening, brake upgrades, tuning. Good luck improving your McLaren F1. OG M2? M2Comp? Easy to upgrade either.

Without (honestly) trying to provoke OG M2 owners, I sort of view the OG M2 as a US spec E36M3. Body kit, warmed over stock engine. The M2Comp is closer to the M2 we should have gotten at the start.

I don't "get" the common reluctance to use modern technology to flash an S55 to meet or slightly exceed the M3/M4 spec. It has the cooling to handle it. So for under $1000 (*) I see this M2Comp as having over 500 ft/lb of torque and close to 490 HP as the only way to own it. I think that will take care of the 150 lb issue quite nicely.

Let me be clear! I hate any extra weight. I sort of rejected the E46M3, E9XM3, for weight reasons.... While loving the NA engines S54, S65. My race car has been down to 2600 lb with 380 HP and it was way more fun than 3000 lb with same power, trust me, I get it. But if you REALLY REALLY are serious about track driving, you'll get a gutted, caged, lightened car with modern ABS/engine transplant and pay pennies on the dollar vs $$$ current street M cars. And you won't care much about bodywork.

I have a deposit down, and believe I'm still first in line at a local dealer for an M2C. I'm "almost" broken hearted about the weight, and uncertain how much I'm willing to spend for what will almost certainly NOT be appreciable on the street. I can see carefully taking off the hood and trunk for factory matched and painted CF. I could see finding perhaps an aftermarket folding seat of decent quality that might knock off a ton of weight, and still be comfortable. I think in both cases, keeping the originals in perfect condition, and selling off the used aftermarket bits would be a reasonable investment, selling a used car with perfect OEM driver's seat is unusual, and increases value. I could possibly see light DD rims, and original ones for winter use.... will have to do something in 19 anyway for winter. But my heart knows that the car will be plenty "toss able" in stock form, if not capturing the feel of E30/E36 lightness, and I have too many other projects so it will probably stay stock + flash and give me 10 years of joy. I'll skip the sunroof for helmet space and weight..... I have a Z1 for really nice days.

If you have an OG M2, be really happy! You've been enjoying it all this time, and for very reasonable investment you can lighten it, tune it, and equal lap times of a stock M2C if that preserves one's sense of ego or need to go faster. However, lets be honest, BMW put the extra weight on the car in part with brake upgrades, cooling etc... things that help preserve the I6 turbo at the higher power output.... It is reasonable to add similar weight to your OG if you want similar performance AND longevity. Its not like they released the M2C with extra power and forced 150 lb of leather, stereo, fart extractors, rear reclining seats and a cooler in the rear seat with Video displays built into the seats etc...

Well, thats about it. I'm on the fence still a bit, but this is the first M car in a long time that ticks off so many boxes.... just wish it were a 2 series with stroked S65. Give me that 6 speed and 8300 redline please! Who wouldn't want that?

Alex Lipowich

(*) OK, I'm not sure about price, I'm not positive about the numbers, but I have a vague recollection that this is a no brainer on the M3/M4 cars, and easily reversed when you go in for service. Speaking about a US car without the goofy filter thing talked about here. And... come on, how hard can it be to find a way around this for hard core enthusiasts?
Amen...

#bmwreligion
Appreciate 0