BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Brembo brake pads

09-15-2023, 12:18 PM   #1
Apexeater
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2 Competition 6 speed

Brembo brake pads

I know this should be in the brake section but it will be seen more here. I was talking to a tuner the other day and he has a 335 (don't know the generation) and he had retro fitted M2c brakes on his car and was using bremro pads. Are they an option for us? I thought they only sold full BBKs or pads for their systems? Just looking for other options to the OEM dusty, school bus sounding OEM pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

The 2NH caliper is made by Brembo, as I believe the stock pads are.

You don't want Brembo pads.

CarboTech 1521 for street, they dust 80% less, have no noise, and make your rotors last twice as long. $500 well spent. If you're doing HPDE's or racing then someone else can chime in on that.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 12:54 PM   #3
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post

CarboTech 1521 for street, they dust 80% less, have no noise, and make your rotors last twice as long. $500 well spent. If you're doing HPDE's or racing then someone else can chime in on that.
Stock pads are Pagid or Textar, two sources. The Brembo pads are made by a completely different group than makes the calipers etc. They could be good or they may not be. There are two versions, low-met and NAO. Reports are mixed across the internet.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 01:33 PM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Stock pads are Pagid or Textar, two sources. The Brembo pads are made by a completely different group than makes the calipers etc. They could be good or they may not be. There are two versions, low-met and NAO. Reports are mixed across the internet.
Ah, got them confused with my carbon ceramic brake pads, which are OEM Brembo.

I've never seen Brembo be at the top of the brake pad industry either, so I'd definitely look elsewhere if I were shopping for pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 02:56 PM   #5
Apexeater
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2 Competition 6 speed

Quote:

Thats good to know. I have used Carbotech on my Miata when racing and loved them. I tried to use them in my Golf R but they rocked a bit and weren't the best.

Can new pads (any brand) be put on existing rotors or do they need to be new?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 03:30 PM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexeater View Post
Thats good to know. I have used Carbotech on my Miata when racing and loved them. I tried to use them in my Golf R but they rocked a bit and weren't the best.

Can new pads (any brand) be put on existing rotors or do they need to be new?
The 1521 can handle some mild HPDE, but they aren't a race pad.

They can go straight onto the rotor regardless of the pad before, and require no bed-in, just 300 easy street miles.

Installed on new rotors, the 1521 would have them last 75K miles or more. The Akebono ceramics, being even more of a pure street pad (no HPDE work at all) are even better, but they aren't made for the 2NH caliper.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2023, 03:09 PM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
The 1521 can handle some mild HPDE, but they aren't a race pad.

They can go straight onto the rotor regardless of the pad before, and require no bed-in, just 300 easy street miles.

Installed on new rotors, the 1521 would have them last 75K miles or more. The Akebono ceramics, being even more of a pure street pad (no HPDE work at all) are even better, but they aren't made for the 2NH caliper.
I think I've settled on trying the 1521. My rotors already have xp12 deposits on them. The xp12 dusted way less than stock. I love the xp12 as a street pad, but they are way too loud.