BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Software update recall?

10-04-2022, 09:04 PM   #45
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Does this update undo Bimmercode changes that were already made? I've killed the lawyer screen, radio off when door opens, deactivated fake engine noise. Don't want to lose any of those.
Any update resets them. You can just code them back.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 08:15 AM   #46
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
maybe i've missed it, but is there anyone meeting these conditions WRT this latest update:
(1) took delivery of the car new with full-screen carplay from the factory? (my april 2021 build came with full-screen)
(2) had NO bimmercode or other custom coding
(3) had this update installed
(4) still has full-screen carplay and spotify

i really dont want to lose carplay functionality

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 10:08 AM   #47
gurusaint
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
I had mine done and the update bricked the head unit. Car was at the dealership for a week. They were almost about to get a new head unit but they finally got it through. Luckily I had a sweet loner so I wasn't pressed. Although I lost all my BimmerCode and M-drive settings, I was able to code them back quickly and got the full screen CarPlay. Honestly if you can avoid it, avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #48
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I've caught up on the replies but still don't understand - can the lawyer screen, which had been coded out and now brought back by the update, be coded out again? Or is this lack of being able to access the head unit preventing that?
      10-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #49
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I've caught up on the replies but still don't understand - can the lawyer screen, which had been coded out and now brought back by the update, be coded out again? Or is this lack of being able to access the head unit preventing that?
Pretty sure the head unit access issue is just one person at this point. I would code back to defaults before you got the update just in case.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 06:22 AM   #50
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Post update my car did not go into limp mode at the track with low tire pressure. Previous track session two weeks prior to update I was forced into comfort mode and out of MDM. This past weekend I got the warning, but was able to continue driving in sport + and with MDM on. I could cycle freely through modes
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #51
Frank K
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusaint View Post
I had mine done and the update bricked the head unit. Car was at the dealership for a week. They were almost about to get a new head unit but they finally got it through. Luckily I had a sweet loner so I wasn't pressed. Although I lost all my BimmerCode and M-drive settings, I was able to code them back quickly and got the full screen CarPlay. Honestly if you can avoid it, avoid it.
mine was in the shop for 3 days... the navigation system didn't work after the update. Factory had to connect to it...
BimmerCode works for everything afterwards - except the head unit, i.e. lawyer screen, full screen CarPlay...
How did you get CarPlay back? Through BimmerCode or differently?
2019 M2 Competition: DCT, BSM, 29U (ordered 9/1, production week 41, finished production 10/8, at port 10/11, left Bremerhaven on 10/20 on Horizon Highway (K line), arrived in Southampton 10/21, Baltimore/MD on 10/31 and Brunswick/GA on 11/3, at dealership on 11/12)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 06:10 PM   #52
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Just had mine in for service and they recommended skipping this, since I was waiting for the work - "can take 5hrs, but might be done in 45min" and that they need to update all the computers sequentially so if 'they are all out of date' then it takes longer. I skipped it for now, curious if anything WON'T work becausee its out of date (SOS button?), or just some modernization/tweaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 07:14 PM   #53
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

My 2021 M2C went in for service and this update was done. I didn't think much of it at the time as I generally prefer to just get latest updates. My experience is as follows:

1. Full screen Carplay went back to small screen. I reflashed it using the same file I had saved from the first time, but it required downloading a newer file. Newer file downloaded and full screen Carplay is back again. The software will give you a link directly on where to get the newer file when you try to flash with the old one.
2. It seems only items related to the headunit disappeared. My rear taillight DRL was still coded, as well as turning off radio when I open the door.
3. The headunit module is currently greyed out until bimmercode software is updated. If I recall this is the module where most of the little things are done, like lawyer screen, seat belt chime, etc. Hopefully bimmercode gets updated soon for this. I emailed their support about it.
4. ASD is still off and bimmerlink is still off as well for burbles.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 08:36 PM   #54
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank K View Post
Yes, new SW version is NBTevo_Y21432J. BimmerCode can't access head unit anymore.

I just had the update.
No issues with Bimmercode.
Had to redo presets but, I can now have tire psi & temp (or other page) on a preset button. Don't think I could do that before.
      10-28-2022, 07:59 AM   #55
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

Quote:

Lawyer screen came back but Bimmercode had no problem removing it again. Had to reenable full screen video.

I believe Bimmercode prompted me to update when I launched it.
      10-28-2022, 08:22 AM   #56
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
My 2021 M2C went in for service and this update was done. I didn't think much of it at the time as I generally prefer to just get latest updates. My experience is as follows:

1. Full screen Carplay went back to small screen. I reflashed it using the same file I had saved from the first time, but it required downloading a newer file. Newer file downloaded and full screen Carplay is back again. The software will give you a link directly on where to get the newer file when you try to flash with the old one.
2. It seems only items related to the headunit disappeared. My rear taillight DRL was still coded, as well as turning off radio when I open the door.
3. The headunit module is currently greyed out until bimmercode software is updated. If I recall this is the module where most of the little things are done, like lawyer screen, seat belt chime, etc. Hopefully bimmercode gets updated soon for this. I emailed their support about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki View Post
I just had the update.
Had to redo presets but, I can now have tire psi & temp (or other page) on a preset button. Don't think I could do that before.
did you lose any apps? someone above mentioned loss of spotify app.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 09:05 AM   #57
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
I just had the update.
you could do it before. I have it and I dont have the update
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #58
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post

Quote:
I just had the update.
did you lose any apps? someone above mentioned loss of spotify app.
I don't use outside apps like Spotify so I can't say, but bimmercode did reply to me that the headunit module issue will be fixed when they update soon.
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      10-28-2022, 12:31 PM   #59
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
I’ve reached out to Kubax86 for his input on this and will share his feedback here.
Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 01:58 PM   #60
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Lawyer screen came back but Bimmercode had no problem removing it again. Had to reenable full screen video.

THIS is what I was looking for. Now I don't fear the update.

Here's a question for those who have received it - there was a bug in NBT EVO X where if you leave the infotainment set at "Presets", the system sometimes forgets when you shut the car off and restart, leaving you in SiriusXM mode. Being as I use Sirius almost constantly, and prefer to station-surf via the roller knob on the right steering wheel spoke, this is a big headache. Hopefully version Y fixes this. Can someone test it?
      10-28-2022, 10:14 PM   #61
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

THIS is what I was looking for. Now I don't fear the update.

Here's a question for those who have received it - there was a bug in NBT EVO X where if you leave the infotainment set at "Presets", the system sometimes forgets when you shut the car off and restart, leaving you in SiriusXM mode. Being as I use Sirius almost constantly, and prefer to station-surf via the roller knob on the right steering wheel spoke, this is a big headache. Hopefully version Y fixes this. Can someone test it?
I can confirm this was not fixed. I still have to utilize a saved shortcut to get me back to presets.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 05:33 PM   #62
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
If it were literally a "recall" it would be visible via the MyBMW app. I only show the recall for the passenger side seat belt.
Same recall mine was for, the seatbelt.
      11-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #63
Frank K
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
had to reinstall full screen CarPlay with kubax86 software and an Ethernet-ODB2 cable - that took also care of the lawyer screen.
2019 M2 Competition: DCT, BSM, 29U (ordered 9/1, production week 41, finished production 10/8, at port 10/11, left Bremerhaven on 10/20 on Horizon Highway (K line), arrived in Southampton 10/21, Baltimore/MD on 10/31 and Brunswick/GA on 11/3, at dealership on 11/12)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 02:46 PM   #64
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_Cooper View Post
When I first opened this thread I was hoping bmw was upgrading the infotainment to full screen without coding it in.

Not sure why bmw won't do this for everyone. Didn't later MY '21 M2s get the full screen automatically?
They kinda have. YOu can now get full screen via Bimmercode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
WOAH, this changes everything! So Bimmercode can no longer be used after this software update? Is this just a temporary thing? Is Bimmercode working on a solution?
Incorrect. If this was the recent TCM update, Bimmercode still works. I just went in and activated full screen carplay

Quote:
Does this update undo Bimmercode changes that were already made? I've killed the lawyer screen, radio off when door opens, deactivated fake engine noise. Don't want to lose any of those.
Yes

Quote:
had to reinstall full screen CarPlay with kubax86 software and an Ethernet-ODB2 cable - that took also care of the lawyer screen.
You can do that, or use BimmerCode now
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      11-22-2022, 06:27 PM   #65
Frank K
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
You can do that, or use BimmerCode now
BimmerCode now throws an error message that the headunit is not in its original state and therefore can't be programmed.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 11:26 PM   #66
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
BimmerCode now throws an error message that the headunit is not in its original state and therefore can't be programmed.
I think that’s an error specific to you it would seem. Unfortunately I never ran into it so I don’t have anything that can help you, but I bet kubax or some others may have some insight.
Appreciate 0